Formal nights

florence11

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Aside from the fact that I don't believe we should be telling fellow Princess guests what to do, the Specialty Restaurants have been, and remain, smart casual at all times.  However, formal wear is also welcomed.

We were in The Crown Grill on Regal two nights ago. People were very smartly dressed including a guy next to us in a suit and tie. The suggested dress code was smart casual.

I simply dress up to complement my wife who loves dressing up. Are some guys so selfish not even to respect their partner’s desire to dress up?

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Esprit said:

We were in The Crown Grill on Regal two nights ago. People were very smartly dressed including a guy next to us in a suit and tie. The suggested dress code was smart casual.

I simply dress up to complement my wife who loves dressing up. Are some guys so selfish not even to respect their partner’s desire to dress up?

Sounds good to me.  In our case, we both prefer smart casual.  I have seen same thing as you.  Some folks also have a special occasion dinner in the SD restaurants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Who ever mentioned that men don't respect their partner's desire to dress up? Please refer us to that post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

You are assuming that their partner wants to dress up.  In our case it is the partner who refuses to dress up and I agree with her.

I love posters who make those type of generalized statements.

22 minutes ago, Potstech said:

You are assuming that their partner wants to dress up.  In our case it is the partner who refuses to dress up and I agree with her.

I love posters who make those type of generalized statements.

I honestly have no problem with your choice of dress. I really don’t give a monkeys what other choose to wear regardless of the suggested dress code.

Having worked in the clothing trade we just gravitate to smarter stuff. I always wear polo shirts when playing golf, but would never wear one on a smart casual night. Others would. Good for them!

• Like 5

We just completed a cruise on Discovery Princess.  There were two formal nights.  My son and I wore a sport jacket and a tie.  We were in the minority in that many individuals worse a sports jacket without a tie, and I believe the majority did not bother to really dress at all. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We just completed a cruise on Discovery Princess.  There were two formal nights.  My son and I wore a sport jacket and a tie.  We were in the minority in that many individuals worse a sports jacket without a tie, and I believe the majority did not bother to really dress at all. 

Was this an Alaska cruise? Did you see anyone in the MDR on any night in shorts? Anyone in shorts in the MDR on Formal Night?

32 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Was this an Alaska cruise? Did you see anyone in the MDR on any night in shorts? Anyone in shorts in the MDR on Formal Night?

Indeed it was an Alaska Cruise.  I don't think I saw anybody in shorts even during the day.   I might add that there were several individuals mostly children who were brave enough to use the swimming pools and hot tubs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Spent 14 nights in April on the Discovery sailing the Mexican Riviera and California Coastal.  No shorts found in the MDR on formal nights, but after 13 nights of wearing long pants and seeing many gentlemen wearing docker/izod type shorts in the MDR on smart casual evenings my DH relented and was a bit more comfortable on the last night of the cruise.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, PTMary said:

Who ever mentioned that men don't respect their partner's desire to dress up? Please refer us to that post.

We've seen a number of times when the wife dressed up & the husband did not. Can't say whether it bothered the wives at all or not. That's for them to comment.

38 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We've seen a number of times when the wife dressed up & the husband did not. Can't say whether it bothered the wives at all or not. That's for them to comment.

I love my husband. I would rather him be dressed comfortably than to be uncomfortable just to satisfy the self appointed formal night dress code police. 

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, MissP22 said:

Have the European cruises on Princess enforced the strict dress code like they used to many years ago on all their cruises or transitioned to giving people the choice to be more relaxed about their style?

The dress code in Europe is the same as it is on any Princess cruise anywhere in the world.  We were on a Baltic cruise in the summer of 2019.  I brought and wore my tux, but I was very much in the minority.  I think I saw more formal wear on a Hawaiian cruise at the end of the previous year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

The dress code in Europe is the same as it is on any Princess cruise anywhere in the world.  We were on a Baltic cruise in the summer of 2019.  I brought and wore my tux, but I was very much in the minority.  I think I saw more formal wear on a Hawaiian cruise at the end of the previous year.

But, in general the cruises on Princess in the western hemisphere, which consist of a higher percentage of cruisers from the US seem to have a more lax attitude regarding what to wear in the MDR.

The cruises across the pond in the eastern hemisphere have a more formal sense, at least from what I have read on here second hand since I have yet to cruise across the pond yet.

There seems to be a line in the sand with the old school European more formal and traditional crowd on one side versus the new school US more relaxed and contemporary crowd on the other side.

There is no right or wrong way since Princess seems to not enforce the rules that are currently in place and by not enforcing them they get reduced to suggestions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But, in general the cruises on Princess in the western hemisphere, which consist of a higher percentage of cruisers from the US seem to have a more lax attitude regarding what to wear in the MDR.

That was not my experience.  Even in Europe, I was definitely in the minority wearing actual formal wear.  That being said, I did get thrown out of the MDR when I absentmindedly wore shorts  (I'm old, I remember exactly how I got to the kitchen, I just can't remember why I went there.)  When I ran into the same young lady on the same ship later in the year in the Caribbean, she remembered me and I teased her about throwing me out of the MDR.  She became very apologetic, before I stopped her and told her that I was just teasing her. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

That was not my experience.  Even in Europe, I was definitely in the minority wearing actual formal wear.  That being said, I did get thrown out of the MDR when I absentmindedly wore shorts  (I'm old, I remember exactly how I got to the kitchen, I just can't remember why I went there.)  When I ran into the same young lady on the same ship later in the year in the Caribbean, she remembered me and I teased her about throwing me out of the MDR.  She became very apologetic, before I stopped her and told her that I was just teasing her. 

And on our 14 days on the Discovery in April, the dress in the MDR was lax.  On formal nights, tuxes were less than 5%, sport coats maybe 15% and the balance in dress shirts/pants and some ties.  The casual nights did in fact include men wearing dress shorts and my DH wore them on night 14.  This would go along with my assumption of the lax attitude on this side of the pond versus the more traditional attitude that you found on your sailing when you were denied wearing shorts in the MDR.

Edited by CruizinSusan70

10 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The casual nights did in fact include men wearing dress shorts and my DH wore them on night 14.

Shorts are acceptable in the MDRs on the first and last nights of the cruise.  But I don't remember if I ever wore shorts into the MDRs on Mexico or Hawaiian cruises.

Edited by SiliconCruiser

Coral Princess reviews from Australia here on CC report men in shorts, t shirts and flip flops in MDR on formal night even. What is going on? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Shorts are acceptable in the MDRs on the first and last nights of the cruise.  But I don't remember if I ever wore shorts into the MDRs on Mexico or Hawaiian cruises.

I would not let my husband, son or SIL go to the MDR in shorts for dinner, on Formal Nights I expect them in a coat at least.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 93yearsyoung said:

I would not let my husband, son or SIL go to the MDR in shorts for dinner, on Formal Nights I expect them in a coat at least.

Coat with shorts ... don't tempt me 😄  Besides with all that weight on top, I might topple over 😄

Just now, SiliconCruiser said:

Coat with shorts ... don't tempt me 😄  Besides with all that weight on top, I might topple over 😄

We vacationed many years in Bermuda when my son & daughter were in their teens and young adulthood, and my husband and son looked smashing in their coat & tie, Bermuda shorts and high socks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 93yearsyoung said:

The I guess you'll never sail on NCL, with their attitude towards dressing for dinner, you'd have heart palpitations.

• Haha 2