Live from SoA 8-19 Jul Melodies of Ireland

Tothesunset

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Tothesunset was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

OK, so the cruise itself starts Friday next week but receiving the final documentation today seems like the right time to kick off this thread. 

By way of introduction we are both 65-year-old retirees with over 200 days on Silversea, a QM2 crossing and a 14-day Seabourn Caribbean cruise under our belts along with a couple of river cruises. Saga has drawn us for this trip because we, at the time of booking last spring, didn't know what the international travel arena held for 2022.  In addition we haven't done a British Isles itinerary and felt that Saga's all inclusive sailings would fit our needs. 

The itinerary visits several Irish ports, not least of which is my home town of Belfast. OH is English (I try not to mind) but has only visited the island once, about 10 years ago, and the Republic not at all. I lie. We stopped at Waterford with SS a few years ago. 

Anyway, the car picks us up between 0820 and 0850 next Friday for the run to Soton; it's a journey we know well because my S-i-L lives down that way. 3 hrs? Probably - on a good day. 

Several excursions booked, except Belfast (obviously!), which I'm hoping will persuade Madame that moving "back home" isn't a crazy idea at all. At the very least she'll get some proper Guinness. 

I shall try to keep a travelogue flowing, WiFi permitting, and answer any questions about our cruise, the ship, the cabin, food and the chances of Ireland winning the Six Nations. 

J and K

• Like 3

Hi Tothesunset

We will be very interested in your take on your forthcoming cruise with Saga

We have been reading your concerns with SS over their latest booking conditions and like you we have concerns with the new conditions. We have sailed SS for many years but are now looking elsewhere, in fact we have sailed over 800 days with SS

We have twice tried to book Saga since the start of the pandemic but were let down both times by their sales office and the bookings were abandoned by us

As I said very interested in your forthcoming experience and would ask two questions

If you don't mind could you tell us the level on suite booked and also if you booked through a TA or direct

Many thanks

@beaujolais:

We booked this cruise through a TA that advertises heavily in the UK press because we had cruise miles to use worth £150 each. Although it's slightly annoying not to be able to handle the booking online directly with Saga, using the TA has thrown up no issues. We have booked another Saga cruise to Norway for May next directly with SAGA. 

We have booked the basic cabin which seems to be about the same size as suites on the Silver Wind. I know many people like larger suites but we only sleep in it so aren't too fussed. We also never use a balcony despite having about a quarter of our SS cruises in balcony suites. So the balcony on Saga is, to us, neither here nor there. 

We won't be back on SS unless their crazy D2D/P2P policies are reversed. That may well be never! 

1 hour ago, Wacktle said:

What is D2D/P2P please?

Door to door includes all travel and hotels if needed. 

Port to Port is just the cruise element. 

For those that normally use the complete SS package it makes little difference but if, like us, you make your own arrangements, the P2P penalises you. Details on the SS website. 

The difference in price is such that you end up paying way over the odds for the "included" air, transport etc compared to P2P giving SS a very big margin on these elements. However, the savings that the SS loyalty scheme gives to customers are severely restricted on P2P prices along with a 15% non-refundable deposit. 

The D2D pricing elevates SS to the very highest of price points. We shall soon see if this is justified by the product but I would judge that for similar itineraries and accommodation the per diem rate for Saga is nearly half that of SS. Is it only half as good?

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to hearing about your port stops as we will be doing ‘Secrets of the Emerald Isle ‘ in September. We have never ventured down the west coast of Ireland before.

Edited by Glenndale

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Looking forward to hearing about your port stops as we will be doing ‘Secrets of the Emerald Isle ‘ in September. We have never ventured down the west coast of Ireland before.

You're in for a treat. It's wild, rugged and handsome. Just like me! 😂

I’m on SOA, we were actually docked next to Silver Moon today. We are enjoying SOA very much and so far have had great weather, Tothesunset, I’m sure we will leave  SOA in pristine condition for you, enjoy Melodies of Ireland.

• Thanks 1

By this time next week we should, barring unforeseen events, be on board. 

I have a question: How do we go about booking into the speciality restaurants? Is this something we can do at check in? 

Edited by Tothesunset

We are also on this cruise and was wondering how to go about booking the restaurants. Can it be done over the phone from the cabin? Also would like to know if ‘private car ‘ means just that or will we have to share.

The speciality restaurants can be booked either by phoning from your cabin, or turning up at the restaurants between certain times, which will be specified in your newsletter when on board.

Private car means you will not have to share.  We have friends who are going on this cruise - I’m sure you will enjoy the ship.

• Thanks 1

2 days to go and the suitcases are 3/4 packed. Having watched a YouTube tour of a standard cabin it looks like storage space might be an issue. Is there room under the bed to put the unpacked suitcases? 

Looking ahead at the weather forecast it's quite possible that we might not get any rain while in Ireland. A week with no rain in Ireland? Has the world gone mad? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

2 days to go and the suitcases are 3/4 packed. Having watched a YouTube tour of a standard cabin it looks like storage space might be an issue. Is there room under the bed to put the unpacked suitcases? 

Looking ahead at the weather forecast it's quite possible that we might not get any rain while in Ireland. A week with no rain in Ireland? Has the world gone mad? 

Yes plenty of space under the bed for suitcases and we put the life jackets under the bed. You might be pleasantly surprised on quite how much you can fit into the drawers and shelves. We have had no problem with space for cruises of over a month. We usually take 2 suitcases and 2 largish bags, plus hand luggage.

Edited by david05
  • Thanks 1

Well, the dogs have just gone to the kennels😢

Then a little while ago our driver for tomorrow rang to confirm the pick up at 08.35. Poor chap is coming from Gatwick - 150 miles away! Long day for the poor man. 

This got me to thinking: Is it good form to tip the driver? We thought, if he was good, £20 might be fair. Any thoughts? 

12 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Then a little while ago our driver for tomorrow rang to confirm the pick up at 08.35. Poor chap is coming from Gatwick - 150 miles away! Long day for the poor man. 

This got me to thinking: Is it good form to tip the driver? We thought, if he was good, £20 might be fair. Any thoughts? 

It's up to you but SAGA include gratuities as part of the cruise price for everyone who would usually receive them.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

We have never got the impression that the driver expects a tip but why not if you have a good journey. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and looking forward to your reports.

• Thanks 1

Some people don't, but we always have, - but only what appears to be a measly £10.   They always seem very happy with that, since some give nothing.  I suppose if you had a poor driver (never have) you would not feel like giving anything.

And if it is just you in the car, then £20 would seem appropriate.  We  have always shared.

• Thanks 1