ArriveCAN Here Until At Least The End Of September

Fouremco

My impression is that ArriveCAN won’t be going away so much as morphing into a conduit/data collection point for advance customs declarations, e-pass (facial recognition, trusted traveler and passport information, arrival & departure records, alerts & flags, financial transactions).  Something like my Starbucks app where I can order ahead to a specific location, tap pay, then pick it up at the drive-thru or inside.  Rewards might be a nice selling feature for ArriveCAN.  😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

My impression is that ArriveCAN won’t be going away so much as morphing into a conduit/data collection point for advance customs declarations, e-pass (facial recognition, trusted traveler and passport information, arrival & departure records, alerts & flags, financial transactions).  Something like my Starbucks app where I can order ahead to a specific location, tap pay, then pick it up at the drive-thru or inside.  Rewards might be a nice selling feature for ArriveCAN.  😂

Love the Starbucks analogy. Now, if only I could get a grande latte from the CBSA officer on my way through, I'd be quite content continuing to use the app with or without additional rewards! 😇

On a more serious note, this article that appeared in today's Ottawa Citizen adds credence to the belief that ArriveCAN, in one form or another, may be here to stay: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/arrivecan-app-may-stay-as-part-of-larger-border-modernization-mendicinos-comments-suggest/wcm/3301b6fe-4539-4bf7-877a-5d7ec56959f4

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

On a more serious note, this article that appeared in today's Ottawa Citizen adds credence to the belief that ArriveCAN, in one form or another, may be here to stay: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/arrivecan-app-may-stay-as-part-of-larger-border-modernization-mendicinos-comments-suggest/wcm/3301b6fe-4539-4bf7-877a-5d7ec56959f4

Darn.  My ad blocker won’t let me in.  Or, rather, the Ottawa Citizen won’t let me in with my ad blocker.  😂

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Darn.  My ad blocker won’t let me in.  Or, rather, the Ottawa Citizen won’t let me in with my ad blocker.  😂

Can't you just turn off your add blocker for this site, and turn it back on again after reading the article?

I don't think I have a problem with ArriveCAN continuing as a border measure, but it would have to be made optional. Tell people that it will speed up their arrival, but make it their choice. If you aren't computer savvy or don't have access to a computer before arrival, you would get processed manually.

I'll be quite happy using it for my declaration on returning from Africa in a month.

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think I have a problem with ArriveCAN continuing as a border measure, but it would have to be made optional. Tell people that it will speed up their arrival, but make it their choice. If you aren't computer savvy or don't have access to a computer before arrival, you would get processed manually.

I'll be quite happy using it for my declaration on returning from Africa in a month.

The GOC will only develop and maintain a system that benefits one or more department or agencies. In that case, I doubt that it would be made optional. I recognize that computer/smart phone access isn't universal, but that's an issue they seem to be dealing with today with the compulsory ArriveCAN system. 

Given the couple of minutes it takes to enter trip information, I've no issue with it continuing as a requirement along with my passport and the like.

17 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We’re expecting our adult kids and our granddaughter in a few weeks from NZ. They know about the arrivecan app and I’ve warned them about the random testing..if they get selected where will they have to test? They arrive in Vancouver and have a connecting flight to Pearson which arrives just after midnight. Not a lot of time at YVR to test, will they have to test in Toronto offsite somewhere before we can pick them up or do they test when we get them home to Kingston? Keeping my fingers crossed the testing will be delayed again, until the end of July, after they arrive. Anyone know the process for connecting arrivals?

A little off topic, but on our recent return to Canada last week we had the ArriveCan app all filled out and ready to go.  But not one person from checking into our flight until the limo home ever asked to see it.  Unless it is now all automatic and they know you have it filled in and submitted.

16 minutes ago, Magicat said:

A little off topic, but on our recent return to Canada last week we had the ArriveCan app all filled out and ready to go.  But not one person from checking into our flight until the limo home ever asked to see it.  Unless it is now all automatic and they know you have it filled in and submitted.

It’s apparently linked to your passport so that’s why they don’t need to actually see the code. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’re expecting our adult kids and our granddaughter in a few weeks from NZ. They know about the arrivecan app and I’ve warned them about the random testing..if they get selected where will they have to test? They arrive in Vancouver and have a connecting flight to Pearson which arrives just after midnight. Not a lot of time at YVR to test, will they have to test in Toronto offsite somewhere before we can pick them up or do they test when we get them home to Kingston? Keeping my fingers crossed the testing will be delayed again, until the end of July, after they arrive. Anyone know the process for connecting arrivals?

First of all, let me say that I hope for your sake and theirs that the return to random testing if further delayed until after their arrival. 🤞

As for where they would be tested, I don't know is whether the "random" selection of passengers automatically excludes those with connecting flights, or if they are given self-test kits to be used at their final destination. Maybe someone else can comment.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

First of all, let me say that I hope for your sake and theirs that the return to random testing if further delayed until after their arrival. 🤞

As for where they would be tested, I don't know is whether the "random" selection of passengers automatically excludes those with connecting flights, or if they are given self-test kits to be used at their final destination. Maybe someone else can comment.

They already announced that they are moving random tests off airport sites. Since they are allowed to complete onward travel, presumably someone will ask them where they are going, and give them options at the final destination, or a link to locations. Presumably someone follows up to make sure the tests are done. (One reason for the 2 week delay was that the government didn’t have the logistics worked out yet.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I'm not sure we should be catering to the vanishing small number of people without access to the net, the skills to fill out an online form or access to someone who does have the requisite skills and equipment.

In fact I'm sure we shouldn't. If the form was made optional a significant number of people simply wouldn't bother. Either due to laziness or the belief that no one can tell them what to do. Why should these sloths be allowed to clog the arrivals process, penalizing the majority?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Magicat said:

I think it is all automatic. I used the app recently flying back fom Europe and a few hours after I submitted my trip details I got a message from Air Canada saying all my documents were approved. Airport check-in was very quick with no one having to check my documents other than passport (whereas on my flight to Europe the agent had to go through all my certificates and test results). Going through customs was also very fast.

A question from one of your southern neighbors- are you required to complete the ArriveCAN prior to sailing out of a Canadian port if you go on without stopping or ending in Canada? For example, a one-way Alaska cruise leaving from Vancouver and ending up in Alaska. I understand that you would need to fill it out prior to returning home but I am wondering about boarding the ship. 

29 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

A question from one of your southern neighbors- are you required to complete the ArriveCAN prior to sailing out of a Canadian port if you go on without stopping or ending in Canada? For example, a one-way Alaska cruise leaving from Vancouver and ending up in Alaska. I understand that you would need to fill it out prior to returning home but I am wondering about boarding the ship. 

No, the app is only required when embarking in a Canadian port if the cruise will take you out of Canada and then re-enter. So no need for a one-way Vancouver to Alaska cruise, but you would need to use the app for a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise.

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

@Fouremco answers the basic question.

I would add that at least one poster has reported Viking requires an ArriveCAN submission in this circumstance. Speculation is that either Viking doesn't understand the requirements or that it is using the app to verify vaccination status.

Also, if you are entering Canada to board the cruise you will have to make a submission prior to that trip.

Edited by broberts