Just back! Our VIKING SKY-mazing 7 day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures - 6/25 to 7/2/2022. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

43 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Two weeks - ideal....Three....getting a bit too long for me on a ship (road trip totally different story). Four...nope. I'd be ready to jump overboard by then!  Cities of Antiquities in January will be three weeks in all. Will see how it goes. I hate traveling during the winter - so worried about the possibility of bad weather, and then have to make arrangements for someone to plow / shovel snow. 

"Four weeks.. jump overboard!"🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

Three weeks would be way too long

Like I said, I'm ok with that long a trip by car, since we stay in different hotels (don't mind "hotel hopping"), never quite know where we'll wind up eating, etc. There is a bit more (or at least a different sort of) spontaneity. Cruising is surely great for only unpacking once (which is why so many like it I suspect), but I think by the time the third week would come along I'd have had a bit too much of being in the same room. 

4 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:
  On 7/5/2022 at 11:13 PM, lackcreativity said:

We just did Barcelona to Venice in April, a 15 day cruise (a really great trip, by the way).

Isn't that one "Trade Routes of the Middle Ages"?  Or else very similar. We could have done that following the end of the Chairman's cruise, but having done both pre and post extensions, it would have gotten a bit long 

Trade Routes of the Middle Ages goes in the other direction from Barcelona, hitting additional ports in Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, etc. and ending in Bergen Norway. It, too, is a really great trip, which I know since we did that one four years ago!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Trade Routes of the Middle Ages goes in the other direction from Barcelona, hitting additional ports in Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, etc. and ending in Bergen Norway. It, too, is a really great trip, which I know since we did that one four years ago!

We’ve combined that route with the Iconic Mediterranean Treasures, ending up with a 35 day Istanbul to Bergen in the spring of 2024.  Running it as a test to see if, as the PPs have mentioned, we can stand that long in the same cabin/ship in hopes of doing a WC at some point.  The 35 day will be our longest yet, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

We’ve combined that route with the Iconic Mediterranean Treasures, ending up with a 35 day Istanbul to Bergen in the spring of 2024.  Running it as a test to see if, as the PPs have mentioned, we can stand that long in the same cabin/ship in hopes of doing a WC at some point.  The 35 day will be our longest yet, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.  

That sounds like a good plan. While envious of those who sail a world cruise, and wishing we could do it in real life, that is actually just a fantasy for us. For multiple reasons, not the least financial, it will never be in the cards for us. 

Our own personal size version is the 36 day Voyage of Marco Polo from Athens to Bangkok. That is at the top of our wish list, and I am pretty sure we would have no problem completing a cruise of that length once our working days are fully behind us.

Fingers crossed that health issues will still allow at that point, but that's a gamble we will have to take. If not, then we have still been incredibly lucky to see as much of the world as we have!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

That sounds like a good plan. While envious of those who sail a world cruise, and wishing we could do it in real life, that is actually just a fantasy for us. For multiple reasons, not the least financial, it will never be in the cards for us. 

Our own personal size version is the 36 day Voyage of Marco Polo from Athens to Bangkok. That is at the top of our wish list, and I am pretty sure we would have no problem completing a cruise of that length once our working days are fully behind us.

Fingers crossed that health issues will still allow at that point, but that's a gamble we will have to take. If not, then we have still been incredibly lucky to see as much of the world as we have!

We watched the Marco Polo cruise (who knew he went by cruiseship 🤔) this year hoping To book it but didn’t wanted to get stuck with a big voucher if it didn’t go. Unfortunately, it’s sold out last time I looked. 

23 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We watched the Marco Polo cruise (who knew he went by cruiseship 🤔) this year hoping To book it but didn’t wanted to get stuck with a big voucher if it didn’t go. Unfortunately, it’s sold out last time I looked. 

I never thought about that issue! We are looking at least several years down the road, so I will worry about that another day.

2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

I never thought about that issue! We are looking at least several years down the road, so I will worry about that another day.

33F90E18-5D62-4494-8741-4E7DD4C1F7FF.jpegTomorrow is another day!

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Haha 2

Good morning! Or should I say Kalimera!

I was missing our cruise from last week and watched the movie "The Two Faces of January."

It begins in Athens and ends in Istanbul.

Written by the same author as "The Talented Mr. Ripley" it's a bit dark but has great acting and scenery.

The entire movie is available for free on youtube.😃

Here is the link.

• Like 1

Sleep7, I am so thrilled to have come across your wonderful trip report... full of amazing photos, fun-filled excursions and an insight into the Viking way! Thoroughly enjoyed reading and travelling along with you 😎 
I will be doing this itinerary plus the Venice / Athens section,  Ancient Adriatic Treasures, April 2024 and first time on Viking ( like many, I have had bookings cancelled ) So needless to say, I have bookmarked this and will refer to it frequently over the next 653 days!! Thank you 😘

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, norahs-lot said:

Sleep7, I am so thrilled to have come across your wonderful trip report... full of amazing photos, fun-filled excursions and an insight into the Viking way! Thoroughly enjoyed reading and travelling along with you 😎 
I will be doing this itinerary plus the Venice / Athens section,  Ancient Adriatic Treasures, April 2024 and first time on Viking ( like many, I have had bookings cancelled ) So needless to say, I have bookmarked this and will refer to it frequently over the next 653 days!! Thank you 😘

Oh yay!! I"m so thrilled you came across it too. Thank you so much for all the sweet compliments about my blog norahs-lot!😍

I'm so very glad that you enjoyed it so much and that it will help your in planning.

Your upcoming cruise will be twice as good because it's twice as long!

Enjoy every moment and thanks again.

Sleep7, this thread was a treasure trove of information for me! We are heading on our 1st Viking cruise at the end of the year with a decent amount of port overlap and had been curious about excursions and the like. Thank you so much for all the detailed information!

I have a couple questions regarding the hair dryer for you though. What type of hair do you have? I have very thick, wavy hair that is a nightmare to try and style and have been worried about how to manage it on our trip. We’re doing pre and post cruise stays on our own and I’ve read to many  horror stories about people having chunks of their hair burned off when using their normal US styling tools in European hotels. I’m debating what to do but if the hair dryer will actually work somewhat decently with my hair that might be a game changer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheEs2022 said:

Sleep7, this thread was a treasure trove of information for me! We are heading on our 1st Viking cruise at the end of the year with a decent amount of port overlap and had been curious about excursions and the like. Thank you so much for all the detailed information!

I have a couple questions regarding the hair dryer for you though. What type of hair do you have? I have very thick, wavy hair that is a nightmare to try and style and have been worried about how to manage it on our trip. We’re doing pre and post cruise stays on our own and I’ve read to many  horror stories about people having chunks of their hair burned off when using their normal US styling tools in European hotels. I’m debating what to do but if the hair dryer will actually work somewhat decently with my hair that might be a game changer.

Oh thanks so much TheEs2022!  I'm so glad that my report had a ton of great info for you!  You are going to have the best time.  Viking is truly wonderful and I always think your first cruise on a new line is the most magical.

As far as hairdryers.. a subject I know very well.. 🤣

The one in the cabin is fantastic.  I have very thick hair and I have never used a hairdryer that a hotel or ship supplied that I loved and this one is the best.  So you are set on the ship.

As far as pre/post cruise at your hotel do you have a travel hairdryer that is dual voltage?

Brookstone (which went out of business) had a great one and I stocked up for travel but unfortunately are not available anymore.

I only tried the ship's dryer because on our first Viking cruise I thought that since the cabin had USA plug that a USA hairdryer would work and I brought my Dyson dryer with me and it didn't even turn on.

A Dyson hairdryer when you are at home is awesome though.

I just googled "best dual voltage travel hairdryer" and came up with these..

https://top10best.how/dual-voltage-travel-hair-dryer?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Search&t_source=64&utm_campaign=6192&gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEkiQbcPDmZ9TSvRnS94VY60FG5SkBa4qEpDQJnWk4exZv6ticKwMXXxoC2uYQAvD_BwE

Hopefully one of these will work well for you.

Good luck!! Have fun!! Any questions I am always happy to answer.😃

• Like 1

Your whole review was wonderful, but seriously, all I could think as I read the comments was "why has no one mentioned the hairdryer???"  I was truly amazed with the Viking hairdryer.  Those of us that need a good one know the value in that TOTAL SCORE! 
It was nice to take the virtual trip with you.  Great review and photos!  I feel like we would get a long great if we ever met up on a cruise (of course I am biased because of our shared love of the hairdryer... LOL 😁).

Edited by minka34
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 7:55 AM, Sleep7 said:

👋Good morning AnyWayIsGood!

Thank you so very much for your compliments on my blog!  I'm so glad that you enjoyed it.

RE the early flight it was so odd and in some ways easier and in some ways harder than the usual 7am transfer for a 10am flight back home.  When booked the airfare I was surprised to see that the only Delta/KLM/AirFrance flight back to JFK from Istanbul was so early in the morning.  I think there was a choice of a KLM flight that left at 5pm but then we would have had to stay a night in Amsterdam since all the transatlantic flights had left already for the day.  On the plus side it was easier I think not to try and sleep a few hours and then get up.. we just never went to sleep.  Another plus is that we did land at JFK at 10:15am which gave us the whole day to get settled back at home.

On the negative side I do think  it added to being jetlagged even though I did sleep on the flights home for a few hours.  It just seemed like our body clocks were so off.. way more off than usual.

That being said I don't even mind jetlag  because I once read in an article that it's a tangible reminder of having been away.  I rather like the thought of that.😴

Funny you mentioned Mamsons.. we kept meaning to see what it was all about.  The waffles and the open faced sandwiches?  I will put it on my list for our next cruise.

The snow grotto sounds like fun! Maybe we will try that too.

Have the best time on your upcoming cruise!!!!! Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!!

Wonderful trip report!  

...and extra brownie points for mentioning the hair dryer. Many thanks!!😊

Ok, my question is airfare...kudos to you for getting return business class at such a great rate!

I prefer Delta and it's airline partners, too...back to my question, did you arrange your own flights or purchase through Viking? 

Btw, we just missed each other by a day as my long layover on Jul 2 allowed for time in both JFK's Delta Sky Lounge and Amex Centurion Lounge as well and agree, wonderful places to relax...with awesome expresso martinis at Centurion Lounge giving it a slight edge. 🍸😉

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, Flgreg said:

Thanks to Sleep7 and cruiseinchrissy for the replies. Just went to MVY and there it is. Our cruise from  Athens  isn't until late November so who knows what the policy will be by that time.

We are also cruising from Athens in late November but arriving a couple of days early for a pre-cruise extension. It seems that since we are arriving by plane and staying for a couple of days prior to embarkation we will need the pre-flight testing to enter Greece…but, as already noted, who knows how many changes will take place between now and then. 
SLEEP7 thank you for FANTABULOUS daily “blog!” It makes our upcoming cruise seem more real, but also makes me more impatient for the day to arrive😳 

On 7/9/2022 at 11:18 AM, minka34 said:

Your whole review was wonderful, but seriously, all I could think as I read the comments was "why has no one mentioned the hairdryer???"  I was truly amazed with the Viking hairdryer.  Those of us that need a good one know the value in that TOTAL SCORE! 
It was nice to take the virtual trip with you.  Great review and photos!  I feel like we would get a long great if we ever met up on a cruise (of course I am biased because of our shared love of the hairdryer... LOL 😁).

Hi minka34!

I had a whole long response typed out to you last night and it seems to have disappeared!

Well anywhoodle..  Thank you so much for the sweet compliments about my review and for being a

"Co-Sister of the Traveling Hairdryer!"😍

Thanks for coming along on the virtual trip and it would be so nice if our paths crossed in the future.. I would recognize you by your perfectly styled hair!.🛳️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cadburysmom said:

Wonderful trip report!  

...and extra brownie points for mentioning the hair dryer. Many thanks!!😊

Ok, my question is airfare...kudos to you for getting return business class at such a great rate!

I prefer Delta and it's airline partners, too...back to my question, did you arrange your own flights or purchase through Viking? 

Btw, we just missed each other by a day as my long layover on Jul 2 allowed for time in both JFK's Delta Sky Lounge and Amex Centurion Lounge as well and agree, wonderful places to relax...with awesome expresso martinis at Centurion Lounge giving it a slight edge. 🍸😉

Oh thanks so much cadburysmom for the kind words.. so glad you enjoyed my report!!

I will gladly accept the kudos on finding that airfare.. it was a true miracle.

I think that coach was very full and business class empty so they had a sale? on the return trip?

At first the lower price was only on the Air France code share flights and then a few days later they lowered the Delta price.  However.. within a week all of them zoomed back up again.

Just like you we only fly Delta since we have all our miles with them and we can be assured of booking an exit row when we buy the tickets.

There was no special for Viking Air so we booked the flights ourselves which unless Viking Air is substantially less (or free) we always do.  Yes.. you do have to pay for the transfers but by booking it yourself you can choose exactly which flights you want and which has the exit row seats available since Sam is 6'3' a regular seat is a no go.  Many times though if the first row of Economy Comfort is taken already we will just sit in the "main cabin" but in the exit row as it has tons of legroom.

Oo.. and sorry we missed you at the lounges.. I usually like the Delta on since it's closer to the gates and they have that delightful outdoor deck but now that you bring up an espresso martini.. yum.. maybe I will give the Centurion Lounge a second look.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr8-2travel said:

We are also cruising from Athens in late November but arriving a couple of days early for a pre-cruise extension. It seems that since we are arriving by plane and staying for a couple of days prior to embarkation we will need the pre-flight testing to enter Greece…but, as already noted, who knows how many changes will take place between now and then. 
SLEEP7 thank you for FANTABULOUS daily “blog!” It makes our upcoming cruise seem more real, but also makes me more impatient for the day to arrive😳 

👋Hellooo gr8-2travel!

Oh lucky you going in a few short months and even better that it won't roasting hot as it was for us!🔥

Also.. thank you so much for your FANTABULOUS compliments on my blog.  I'm so glad that it made you extra excited for your trip!

Enjoy every moment!! November will be here before you know it.😃

• Like 1

Hello Sleep7;  May I ask what luggage you have in post #2.  My wife and I will leave Kennedy for Reykjavik next month for a 13 day viking cruise ending in Bergen.  We are adding a 6 day land portion, so our current luggage may not work for us. I have enjoyed very much you trip review.

Edited by ohiojohn
Changed text

3 minutes ago, ohiojohn said:

Hello Sleep7;  May I ask what luggage you have in post #2.  My wife and I will leave Kennedy for Reykjavik next month for a 13 day viking cruise ending in Bergen.  We are adding a 6 day land portion, so our current luggage may not work for us. I have enjoyed very much you trip review.

👋Hi ohiojohn!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my trip review.. it was so much fun to write and have to look back on.😃

As far as the luggage.. these are great suitcases that we have had for a few years already.

They are made by Hartman and called are called "Vigor."  They are the large 29" size.

I was super lucky and found a matching pair at Marshalls a few years ago as I think they were updating the model and this was the "old" style.

They are very light and roll like a dream!  One negative is that if you forget to pack something you can't just unzip it a bit and stick something in at the last minute.  You have to lay the whole suitcase down and open the zipper up totally.  That is a negative.

Here are their current model of the style Vigor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hartman+vigor+suitcases&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsb8zdW2S2Nvs4qYfZKvoBweOiIznA:1657640360075&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirhM_G1_P4AhXapIkEHeYVBV8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1224&dpr=2

Belk seems to have the best price by far.

https://www.belk.com/p/hartmann-extended-journey-suitcase-/0438515637242.html?feed=shopping&cm_mmc=PLA-GOOGLE-Ssc_Home_NewCustomer_PLA_NA--0438515637242&s_kwcid=AL!5203!3!587622063265!!!u!296671616293!!92700070197357364&campaignengineid=GG_16570801661&adengineid=587622063265&adgroupengineid=133918068185&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLanmw3liW8hH-De0uwQXlkefhHtL8_QS5orzUNq9mLXUgXDfOivmzhhoCm2sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyways.. Have a WONDERFUL trip to Iceland!! Enjoy every moment!!

4 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

👋Hi ohiojohn!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed my trip review.. it was so much fun to write and have to look back on.😃

As far as the luggage.. these are great suitcases that we have had for a few years already.

They are made by Hartman and called are called "Vigor."  They are the large 29" size.

I was super lucky and found a matching pair at Marshalls a few years ago as I think they were updating the model and this was the "old" style.

They are very light and roll like a dream!  One negative is that if you forget to pack something you can't just unzip it a bit and stick something in at the last minute.  You have to lay the whole suitcase down and open the zipper up totally.  That is a negative.

Here are their current model of the style Vigor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hartman+vigor+suitcases&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALiCzsb8zdW2S2Nvs4qYfZKvoBweOiIznA:1657640360075&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirhM_G1_P4AhXapIkEHeYVBV8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2560&bih=1224&dpr=2

Belk seems to have the best price by far.

https://www.belk.com/p/hartmann-extended-journey-suitcase-/0438515637242.html?feed=shopping&cm_mmc=PLA-GOOGLE-Ssc_Home_NewCustomer_PLA_NA--0438515637242&s_kwcid=AL!5203!3!587622063265!!!u!296671616293!!92700070197357364&campaignengineid=GG_16570801661&adengineid=587622063265&adgroupengineid=133918068185&gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLanmw3liW8hH-De0uwQXlkefhHtL8_QS5orzUNq9mLXUgXDfOivmzhhoCm2sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyways.. Have a WONDERFUL trip to Iceland!! Enjoy every moment!!

Thank you so much, I will check them out.

• Like 1

I enjoyed your very positive blog (have never cruised Viking, but am considering it).  It is wonderful to see such enthusiasm!

Your posting the food menus and pictures of some of the food was especially helpful, so I can compare with other lines I cruise.

Was there anything on or *about the ship* (not the ports)  that you disliked (or that you thought could be improved, or was annoying?)

• Like 1