OPINIONS NEEDED: Carnival fans who have tried "upgraded" lines. . . what is the advantage and is it worth it?

KmomChicago

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes. I don't need an attendant to flush the toilet for me.

I'm embarrassed on Carnival enough by staff who remember me from years gone by, and I can't place them to save my life. They aren't phony at all.

What's not phony? That they remember your name or that they hold a special place in their hearts for you? Does is make you feel "special" that they remembered your name?

• Like 2

Many moons ago a had a summer job at a Coldwell Banker Commercial Real Estate office.  I was debating with one of those guys with the slick Italian shoes about country clubs.  He tried to tell me the courses are better and it is worth the $$.  My argument was that most people's golf game cannot tell the difference between a public course and a nice CC, but the sole purpose of the $100K initiation fee was a guarantee to be away from the riff raff.  I know I was right then at the age of 19 and it still holds true.  Why pay $5000 PP for a one week cruise?  Because you can. 

I've told many a friend that if I win the lottery and change who I am to put a bullet in me.   Without regard to specifics about any of us, it seems quite a few of us have the same sentiments, regardless of our wallet size.  DW and I like simple folk for many reasons.

To quote Groucho Marx "I would never join a club that would have me as a member."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oh, and to answer the OPs question, we did a HAL Mexican Riviera years ago on a big family Christmas Cruise (mom chose the cruise so....).  Stodgy and banal.  We did a NCL a few years ago as a last-minute deal out of Galveston.  We had fun (DW and I only).  Did Princess Alaska SB in 2018 (for itinerary foremost).  Great cruise, very few kids, but the place was dead by 9:00 PM.  We still didn't lack for entertainment and we didn't feel it was pretentious.  All the rest on CCL with family, all of which are fun.  DW does not drink at all, and I am a minimalist drinker.  There is a fine line between having fun and being an obnoxious drunk.  We don't mind the former but have no time for the latter.  I know you all know the difference.

Hope that answers your question further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want longer cruises with better itineraries. 

Princess checks those boxes. And Azamara. Neither is stuffy, overdressed and/or dull.

I've done almost 40 cruises on many different lines, but love so much about Carnival.

We come back to them often for relaxing fun. 

Edited by Sinbadssailors
Details
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

What's not phony? That they remember your name or that they hold a special place in their hearts for you? Does is make you feel "special" that they remembered your name?

The staff. Unlike many pretentious cruisers who pull tips for the pleasure of doing so 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 2:59 PM, cruizergal70 said:

I hope you know that all of this service is not truly "more human and friendly." The service staff are not your friends, they don't care about you, and they don't think you are special. It's their job to engage in these performative actions. 

Also, everyone doesn't believe it's a big deal to be called by name. In fact, it can feel intrusive.

It is maybe important to know the difference between being a friend and being friendly.   Service staff who are friendly are typically going to be better at their job.   Sadly, they frequently must do this with people who do not deserve it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I hope this conversation continues but first I want to say THANK YOU all for being so respectful and courteous here. For some reason as we all know, people tend to get oddly mean and judgy about individual differences of opinion, when I’ve always been glad there are different options available for different tastes and budgets. 

Your rational points have been so very helpful to what I asked at the start of the thread. 

My conclusions based on your comments so far:

Go back on another Oasis class ship if we want a change from Carnival. Alternatively, try another newish mega ship (minimum 150k tons) from RCI, NCL, or MSC, whichever I can find the best mix of timing, itinerary and deal on.

Other possible alternatives could be Virgin or Celebrity Edge class, again, only if I get a price close to my usual Carnival (beer) budget for what might be a champagne experience. Those ships are innovative and I am curious and intrigued by them, and I think we could blend in well enough to feel comfortable.

I already sailed Disney back in my youth when I worked at WDW and have little interest in returning, again, unless I found some anomaly fire sale. Children on board are not a deciding factor for us. They don’t bother us at all, and we don’t need to have them around. We just don’t interact with other passengers at all, really.

I agree that from my experience so far, mainstream cruises are much more similar than different. 

It sounds like Princess, HAL, Cunard, and everything higher up the chain are probably not worth adding to the short list as the benefits mentioned are simply not things we want, at any price. The smaller Caribbean islands would be fine but do not call to me.

Of course we never say never. I always start with an online TA site when the planning begins, so I will see if something different pops up for a bargain during a timeframe or for a destination I’m looking at, and we could then consider if we want to venture out just so we can say we tried it.  This process has thus far led me mostly back to the CCL website. 😎

I think the earliest we’d consider our next cruise will be summer 2023 but I feel no urge to lock anything in right now.

Please, keep the conversation going. This is my favorite thread I ever started!!❤️❤️❤️

We really loved Celebrity Edge, with one exception- the infinity balcony concept. It was more of a roll-down window, and in a cooler climate would have been AMAZING.

In the Caribbean in July? It was too much. But the views were lovely, as was our room. 

The ship was wonderful- great food, great staff, beautiful art. It didn’t hurt that it was only 45% capacity back in 2021. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it funny how different cruise lines & ships appeal to me, sometimes for reasons I can't even place. 

My first Carnival ship was the Valor, and was booked based on the itinerary and price. We absolutely loved it, made some friends on board (we usually keep to ourselves so this was a change) and found the overall entertainment and experience to be great quality all week. 

Some of the other lines that people rate highly, we didn't really care for however. Princess particularly, although we were on some of the early cruises out of Japan when it was really trying to court the Japanese market, and it felt as though a lot of the usual experience had been paired back a little. It was a great holiday for the itinerary, but the on board experience was a bit dull. 

Celebrity we loved, it seemed very elegant, without trying to be pretentious so had a great line between seeming high-end, but including great activities and entertainment on board. Some of the staff on there were some of the most memorable we've come across, outside of Carnival. 

P&O (probably of more relevance to British cruisers) we found a bit bland. The ship was modern, but very beige. Other people seemed to like it but it just lacked character, and the service was not as personal as the American ships. (that's probably a taste thing) 

Our next one will be back on Carnival. I think it's just the line for me. I'd try others again, certainly Celebrity, but I find the prices and experience for me personally on Carnival hard to resist. I wouldn't want the short party cruise experience, but their itineraries in Europe and Alaska, plus some longer Caribbean ones definitely. 

• Thanks 1

Seems like many have a decided what they like and that's that which is OK.

But to answer the question about why try the other lines (not really saying that they are an upgrade just different)

1)  Itineraries.  Some cruises go to fairly unique places.  Ports: large ships can not get to and land travel is difficult/expensive to get to.  Longer cruises and more ports.  Even expedition type cruises.

2)  Smaller ship and higher space ratio.  No lines for anything.  Better service.  On and off the ship in a few minutes allow for longer port visits.  Usually very few children.

3)  And just to try it!  Kind of like travel itself just to see what it is like.

We have loved all the lines.  They all have pluses and minuses.  Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our cruising background has been on other cruise lines so far (MSC, RCL, NCL, with upcoming first-time cruises on Celebrity and Virgin) and we'll be doing our first Carnival cruise on Mardi Gras in ~100 days.

I mention this because I'm finding this thread really useful "in the other direction" . It's great to hear people comparing their impressions of these other lines in comparison to Carnival, which helps us get an idea of what to expect as we get onto a Carnival ship for the first time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Many moons ago a had a summer job at a Coldwell Banker Commercial Real Estate office.  I was debating with one of those guys with the slick Italian shoes about country clubs.  He tried to tell me the courses are better and it is worth the $$.  My argument was that most people's golf game cannot tell the difference between a public course and a nice CC, but the sole purpose of the $100K initiation fee was a guarantee to be away from the riff raff.  I know I was right then at the age of 19 and it still holds true.  Why pay $5000 PP for a one week cruise?  Because you can. 

I've told many a friend that if I win the lottery and change who I am to put a bullet in me.   Without regard to specifics about any of us, it seems quite a few of us have the same sentiments, regardless of our wallet size.  DW and I like simple folk for many reasons.

To quote Groucho Marx "I would never join a club that would have me as a member."

I love this post!! Thank you. ❤️❤️

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Oh, and to answer the OPs question, we did a HAL Mexican Riviera years ago on a big family Christmas Cruise (mom chose the cruise so....).  Stodgy and banal.  We did a NCL a few years ago as a last-minute deal out of Galveston.  We had fun (DW and I only).  Did Princess Alaska SB in 2018 (for itinerary foremost).  Great cruise, very few kids, but the place was dead by 9:00 PM.  We still didn't lack for entertainment and we didn't feel it was pretentious.  All the rest on CCL with family, all of which are fun.  DW does not drink at all, and I am a minimalist drinker.  There is a fine line between having fun and being an obnoxious drunk.  We don't mind the former but have no time for the latter.  I know you all know the difference.

Hope that answers your question further.

Yes it helps a lot and possibly redeems Princess after all. Thanks!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I want longer cruises with better itineraries. 

Princess checks those boxes. And Azamara. Neither is stuffy, overdressed and/or dull.

I've done almost 40 cruises on many different lines, but love so much about Carnival.

We come back to them often for relaxing fun. 

Thank you. DH and I have discussed the possibility of longer itineraries (or B2Bs) in the future when our life schedules support it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

We really loved Celebrity Edge, with one exception- the infinity balcony concept. It was more of a roll-down window, and in a cooler climate would have been AMAZING.

In the Caribbean in July? It was too much. But the views were lovely, as was our room. 

The ship was wonderful- great food, great staff, beautiful art. It didn’t hurt that it was only 45% capacity back in 2021. 🤣

I have read the very mixed reviews on those balconies. I don’t think I’d pay extra for it. The ships look incredible though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

I find it funny how different cruise lines & ships appeal to me, sometimes for reasons I can't even place. 

My first Carnival ship was the Valor, and was booked based on the itinerary and price. We absolutely loved it, made some friends on board (we usually keep to ourselves so this was a change) and found the overall entertainment and experience to be great quality all week. 

Some of the other lines that people rate highly, we didn't really care for however. Princess particularly, although we were on some of the early cruises out of Japan when it was really trying to court the Japanese market, and it felt as though a lot of the usual experience had been paired back a little. It was a great holiday for the itinerary, but the on board experience was a bit dull. 

Celebrity we loved, it seemed very elegant, without trying to be pretentious so had a great line between seeming high-end, but including great activities and entertainment on board. Some of the staff on there were some of the most memorable we've come across, outside of Carnival. 

P&O (probably of more relevance to British cruisers) we found a bit bland. The ship was modern, but very beige. Other people seemed to like it but it just lacked character, and the service was not as personal as the American ships. (that's probably a taste thing) 

Our next one will be back on Carnival. I think it's just the line for me. I'd try others again, certainly Celebrity, but I find the prices and experience for me personally on Carnival hard to resist. I wouldn't want the short party cruise experience, but their itineraries in Europe and Alaska, plus some longer Caribbean ones definitely. 

Thank you. When I look at a Princess or HAL relatively newly built mega ship, I think “it’s gotta be about as much fun as any other mega ship” so it’s interesting to see comments hinting that it may actually skew a bit dull. Being bored is one of my fears of leaving the action of the big three. 

If your TV commercials don’t show someone doing something exciting, Kmom is very suspicious of your product. 

When the brochures show only gorgeous, slim, middle aged and over couples, doing things like toasting champagne flutes on their balcony, or being serenaded over a lobster dinner, I throw the brochure in the trash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Seems like many have a decided what they like and that's that which is OK.

But to answer the question about why try the other lines (not really saying that they are an upgrade just different)

1)  Itineraries.  Some cruises go to fairly unique places.  Ports: large ships can not get to and land travel is difficult/expensive to get to.  Longer cruises and more ports.  Even expedition type cruises.

2)  Smaller ship and higher space ratio.  No lines for anything.  Better service.  On and off the ship in a few minutes allow for longer port visits.  Usually very few children.

3)  And just to try it!  Kind of like travel itself just to see what it is like.

We have loved all the lines.  They all have pluses and minuses.  Enjoy.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I was looking for! We might someday want to do an arctic expedition. My brother went to Antarctica with G Adventures a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

Our cruising background has been on other cruise lines so far (MSC, RCL, NCL, with upcoming first-time cruises on Celebrity and Virgin) and we'll be doing our first Carnival cruise on Mardi Gras in ~100 days.

I mention this because I'm finding this thread really useful "in the other direction" . It's great to hear people comparing their impressions of these other lines in comparison to Carnival, which helps us get an idea of what to expect as we get onto a Carnival ship for the first time.

Awesome, I hope you’ll come back with your impressions after. Mardi Gras is an evolution for Carnival so while some aspects are representative of the line, the experience on the older ships is not identical.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, cruizergal70 said:

Then why are people so impressed and touched by the artifice? How is pretend land considered "better?"

So what alternative do you recommend?  To keep it "real", should we treat each other in an unfriendly manner?  Should we not care about other people?   Most understand a friendly attitude is not fake.  Most like to avoid negative atmospheres.   Of course cruise staff are there to keep customers happy.  Why be critical because they work hard to do that.   Sadly, if they treated nasty passengers as deserved, I'm sure those passengers would run to guest services in a minute.   

• Like 8

On 7/5/2022 at 7:00 AM, KmomChicago said:

I hope this conversation continues but first I want to say THANK YOU all for being so respectful and courteous here. For some reason as we all know, people tend to get oddly mean and judgy about individual differences of opinion, when I’ve always been glad there are different options available for different tastes and budgets. 

Your rational points have been so very helpful to what I asked at the start of the thread. 

My conclusions based on your comments so far:

Go back on another Oasis class ship if we want a change from Carnival. Alternatively, try another newish mega ship (minimum 150k tons) from RCI, NCL, or MSC, whichever I can find the best mix of timing, itinerary and deal on.

Other possible alternatives could be Virgin or Celebrity Edge class, again, only if I get a price close to my usual Carnival (beer) budget for what might be a champagne experience. Those ships are innovative and I am curious and intrigued by them, and I think we could blend in well enough to feel comfortable.

I already sailed Disney back in my youth when I worked at WDW and have little interest in returning, again, unless I found some anomaly fire sale. Children on board are not a deciding factor for us. They don’t bother us at all, and we don’t need to have them around. We just don’t interact with other passengers at all, really.

I agree that from my experience so far, mainstream cruises are much more similar than different. 

It sounds like Princess, HAL, Cunard, and everything higher up the chain are probably not worth adding to the short list as the benefits mentioned are simply not things we want, at any price. The smaller Caribbean islands would be fine but do not call to me.

Of course we never say never. I always start with an online TA site when the planning begins, so I will see if something different pops up for a bargain during a timeframe or for a destination I’m looking at, and we could then consider if we want to venture out just so we can say we tried it.  This process has thus far led me mostly back to the CCL website. 😎

I think the earliest we’d consider our next cruise will be summer 2023 but I feel no urge to lock anything in right now.

Please, keep the conversation going. This is my favorite thread I ever started!!❤️❤️❤️

Glad you got  what you needed.

My last bit of advice is to consider PCL. You have romanticized about it. Don't let price be the deciding factor. PCL can have sales that are cheaper than CCL depending on how the stars align. For a solo cruise last thanksgiving, it was cheaper to do PCL than a similar CCL cruise. I was pleasantly surprised. With the solo supp, I paid only 450/4 nights for a holiday weekend for my own room. Can't beat it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

So what alternative do you recommend?  To keep it "real", should we treat each other in an unfriendly manner?  Should we not care about other people?   Most understand a friendly attitude is not fake.  Most like to avoid negative atmospheres.   Of course cruise staff are there to keep customers happy.  Why be critical because they work hard to do that.   Sadly, if they treated nasty passengers as deserved, I'm sure those passengers would run to guest services in a minute.   

I think they just mean, some of us want to be mostly left alone, and even on vacation, can somewhat just take care of ourselves. I was in a suite last December but instead of sending out my laundry, which I could apparently have done as much for free as I wanted, I did it myself. Why? Because I wanted to. Simple as that. I like the way I do it, I don't mind doing it, my room steward has enough to do, I still tipped him extra over the prepaid gratuities.

There have been mentions of the best service you could ever imagine, being treated like royalty, and some of the posters are saying that just doesn't work for them. There is a wide range of acceptable between mostly hands-off courteous in passing, and, as one example was mentioned, having servers tell you to sit down when you are using the self service tea machine so they can serve you. 

I get all the perspectives. If they have a self serve tea machine and I chose to use it rather than asking someone to do it for me, that means, I PREFER to do it myself. Most of us don't get treated like royalty at home and it truly might feel ridiculous or even irritating to some, like part of a big silly show. 

Not everyone, of course. And once again, this is why it is GREAT that there are different levels of amenities and service quality for different clientele. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DrSea said:

Glad you got  what you needed.

My last bit of advice is to consider PCL. You have romanticized about it. Don't let price be the deciding factor. PCL can have sales that are cheaper than CCL depending on how the stars align. For a solo cruise last thanksgiving, it was cheaper to do PCL than a similar CCL cruise. I was pleasantly surprised. With the solo supp, I paid only 450/4 nights for a holiday weekend for my own room. Can't beat it!

Yes I have seen Princess to Alaska for less than $100 per person per day many times, before the hefty port fees, that is. And I know they have the add on nights at their lodge(s?) in Alaska which we might consider.  I have seen enough positive comments to reassure me it could work for us. Thanks! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I think they just mean, some of us want to be mostly left alone, and even on vacation, can somewhat just take care of ourselves. I was in a suite last December but instead of sending out my laundry, which I could apparently have done as much for free as I wanted, I did it myself. Why? Because I wanted to. Simple as that. I like the way I do it, I don't mind doing it, my room steward has enough to do, I still tipped him extra over the prepaid gratuities.

There have been mentions of the best service you could ever imagine, being treated like royalty, and some of the posters are saying that just doesn't work for them. There is a wide range of acceptable between mostly hands-off courteous in passing, and, as one example was mentioned, having servers tell you to sit down when you are using the self service tea machine so they can serve you. 

I get all the perspectives. If they have a self serve tea machine and I chose to use it rather than asking someone to do it for me, that means, I PREFER to do it myself. Most of us don't get treated like royalty at home and it truly might feel ridiculous or even irritating to some, like part of a big silly show. 

Not everyone, of course. And once again, this is why it is GREAT that there are different levels of amenities and service quality for different clientele. 

Sure, I can understand that.  With the possible exception of doing my own laundry😀,  I agree that there can be too much of a good thing.    I think/thought  I was responding to something different.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Wow. A bit off base here. Have you studied psychology? My overall point is that passenger perception figures in more when it comes to service.

I recently read a story about a passenger on Cunard. They were having a drink at the ship's pub and wanted to go to the casino, which was about 30 feet from the pub. He went to pick up his drink, but the bartender stopped him. The bartender then called over a server, the server put the passenger's drink on a tray, and then walked the drink to the casino as the passenger walked and would only relinquish the drink once the passenger sat down at one of the gaming tables.

Now, some people would say "wow, that made me feel special. Like I was some big shot. That was royal treatment." Me, I would just think, "oh, they have a policy about not letting passengers carry their own drinks." Because I don't have a psychological need to have strangers make me feel "special," I see their actions for what it is. It's just training, policy, and procedures. 

Lastly, have you ever worked in a service or server job? I have. I can tell you that while I performed my duties as I was instructed, smiled when I was told to smile, and made pleasantries as per the employee manual, none of it was because I had any thoughts that the customers were "special." 

When people speak of their cruise experience, they use language that clearly shows how they interpreted the actions of the crew and does not reflect the reality that the crew just did their job as instructed. All the "good feelings" the passenger felt were all constructed in the passenger's mind.

Yes, there is a difference when crew are openly hissy or nasty but those times are rare. I would posit that at least 98% of crew interactions involve smiles and pleasantries. Yes, it's "friendly," but I wouldn't read more into it and I certainly wouldn't leave feeling like the experience was more than what it was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruizergal70 said:

Wow. A bit off base here. Have you studied psychology? My overall point is that passenger perception figures in more when it comes to service.

I recently read a story about a passenger on Cunard. They were having a drink at the ship's pub and wanted to go to the casino, which was about 30 feet from the pub. He went to pick up his drink, but the bartender stopped him. The bartender then called over a server, the server put the passenger's drink on a tray, and then walked the drink to the casino as the passenger walked and would only relinquish the drink once the passenger sat down at one of the gaming tables.

Now, some people would say "wow, that made me feel special. Like I was some big shot. That was royal treatment." Me, I would just think, "oh, they have a policy about not letting passengers carry their own drinks." Because I don't have a psychological need to have strangers make me feel "special," I see their actions for what it is. It's just training, policy, and procedures. 

Lastly, have you ever worked in a service or server job? I have. I can tell you that while I performed my duties as I was instructed, smiled when I was told to smile, and made pleasantries as per the employee manual, none of it was because I had any thoughts that the customers were "special." 

When people speak of their cruise experience, they use language that clearly shows how they interpreted the actions of the crew and does not reflect the reality that the crew just did their job as instructed. All the "good feelings" the passenger felt were all constructed in the passenger's mind.

Yes, there is a difference when crew are openly hissy or nasty but those times are rare. I would posit that at least 98% of crew interactions involve smiles and pleasantries. Yes, it's "friendly," but I wouldn't read more into it and I certainly wouldn't leave feeling like the experience was more than what it was.

Yes, I've worked in service jobs.  No, other than undergrad, I've not studied psychology.  I don't read anything more into a friendly approach than it is friendly.   I prefer that over the alternative.   You were pretty negative in a couple of posts about the friendly attitude of ship staff being phony.   Hence my comments.   If you said something about service being intrusive, which I can understand, then I missed it.     

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:47 PM, Tippyton said:

Disagree.  Most peoples golf game CAN and WOULD improve on a country club course.  The greens are consistent from hole to hole and will roll true and will be properly maintained so shots from the fairway will hold the green.  The fairways will be smooth and void of any weeds, allow for proper ball striking.   The rough will be watered and actually be grass that is cut higher than the fairway (most munis are just bare earth littered with weed patches as they choose not to water or mow to save money).   The bunkers will be full of sand (not dirt, not gravel, etc like most munis) and again be consistent to play out of.  And the chances of being stuck behind groups of drunk golfers yacking it up and blasting music across the course are pretty much zero.  So yeah, your comparison is just wrong.  But I guess we could consider Carnival the "muni" of the cruise industry.  At least based upon our cruise last month.  Worst.  Cruise. Ever.

Edited by Badfinger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1