As you wish dining question

Sallyandtex

Our HAL agent booked us into early dinner.

Just wondering if we are ashore and want to go to dinner "as you wish" if we are back late that day, can we cancel our set booking on the app or by phoning them, and attend the line up for the flexible dinner?

Thanks 

As mentioned above you may do better with anytime dining.  You just go to the dining room whenever it's convenient for you and they will seat you either with other people, which is what we do, or at a table for two if it's available.  Sometimes if we're tired after an excursion we'll just go to the Lido.  All the choices are yours with anytime dining.

Helen

• Like 1

I don't believe they will let you have it both ways.  On late port days, anytime dining would be overwhelmed with fixed dining time people and that wouldn't be fair to those with anytime dining.  I believe you would have to go to the Lido, or room service.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dog said:

New here. Cruise in April 2023– where can I book dining? Have app/ website log in, but don’t see option to choose a time.

Hi, dog,

If you used a travel agent to book your trip, ask him/her to arrange what type of dining you want in the MDR, set or variable times. If you booked directly with HAL, call them. If you can, try the specialty dining (extra fees). They are worth it.

Jim

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, dog,

If you used a travel agent to book your trip, ask him/her to arrange what type of dining you want in the MDR, set or variable times. If you booked directly with HAL, call them. If you can, try the specialty dining (extra fees). They are worth it.

Jim

I booked online. Just added Have it all package this morning. Can book excursions, but specialty dining can be booked end of August in line.

u didn’t see a regular dining choice option.

does that have to be done by phone? 

I have had, pre-covid, fixed early dining and had a late HAL excursion. I explained to the dining room manager the day before the excursion and he was fine with me going to the flexible dining after the excursion. I would not do so without asking the dinning room manager first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, dog said:

I booked online. Just added Have it all package this morning. Can book excursions, but specialty dining can be booked end of August in line.

u didn’t see a regular dining choice option.

does that have to be done by phone? 

Hi, Dog,

For my cruise on Rotterdam 12/21, I was travelling with cousins from N.C. We each had booked with our own travel agents (N.C. and WA). I called HAL directly and booked our four specialty dining options after getting my cousins' booking code. I did this about a month before our trip. Perfect! We had the flexible MDR seating and that worked out great as well.

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, HELENPSL said:

As mentioned above you may do better with anytime dining.  You just go to the dining room whenever it's convenient for you and they will seat you either with other people, which is what we do, or at a table for two if it's available.  Sometimes if we're tired after an excursion we'll just go to the Lido.  All the choices are yours with anytime dining.

Helen

We used to always request a large table, whether fixed (our preference) or anytime dining... Have not cruised with HAL since the Before Times, but on our other recent cruises, there was no more dining-with-strangers option. A HAL cruise is coming up in Sept., and though we could choose fixed/anytime and dinner time, the table size was no longer an option.

5 hours ago, sofietucker said:

We used to always request a large table, whether fixed (our preference) or anytime dining... Have not cruised with HAL since the Before Times, but on our other recent cruises, there was no more dining-with-strangers option. A HAL cruise is coming up in Sept., and though we could choose fixed/anytime and dinner time, the table size was no longer an option.

We cruised this past March and anytime dining was available.  We are also booked for anytime dining for our Oct. and November cruises.  Chech with your travel agent or PCC.  They should be able to reserve it for you.

Helen

2 hours ago, HELENPSL said:

We cruised this past March and anytime dining was available.  We are also booked for anytime dining for our Oct. and November cruises.  Chech with your travel agent or PCC.  They should be able to reserve it for you.

Helen

They will still seat you at, say, a table of 6 others that you're not traveling with/don't know?

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Okay! My TA had said there was no long an option for table size requests

That is true. They can put in a request for a table size but you won’t be able to confirm until onboard.  We always request table for 2 and always get it. 

Also I always have fixed dining and do not have problems rearranging my schedule.  I simply tell my wait staff what my plan is for the following day and I am accommodated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They can put in a request for a table size but you won’t be able to confirm until onboard

That has been true forever!  Sometimes, I get what I have requested and sometimes not.  If the table size I am assigned displeases me, I try to make different arrangements during the DRM's hours on embarkation day or after dinner the first evening.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That has been true forever!  Sometimes, I get what I have requested and sometimes not.  If the table size I am assigned displeases me, I try to make different arrangements during the DRM's hours on embarkation day or after dinner the first evening.  

I seem to recall getting confirmation for our table for two, maybe that was another line 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I seem to recall getting confirmation for our table for two, maybe that was another line 

Yes, my TA has told me she had received such.  But, I never fail to check to see such an "affirmation" is correct during embarkation day.  I have found that the "confirmation" is not always correct,  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Yes, my TA has told me she had received such.  But, I never fail to check to see such an "affirmation" is correct during embarkation day.  I have found that the "confirmation" is not always correct,  

Curiously on my April cruise the maitre d’ said “of course you have a table for 2” as if there was no reason to confirm.  Like you I always do.  I will sit anywhere for breakfast and lunch but truly like my quiet evening meal.

• Like 1