New Soda Cup Design

Seen both in last 7 Months. New colorful ones hold more liquid then the other ones shown on here, so a plus. Me and my Daughter like the even older ones from 8+ yrs ago, they sealed tight, no leaks and could put Hot drinks in them. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

11 minutes ago, bmarts said:

seems Royal is trying to cut every single corner imaginable 

The one we got most recently is better than the solid color ones they had for a while but not as good as some we have had in the past.  It is also smaller, only holds 16 ounces and isn't as well insulated.

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The one we got most recently is better than the solid color ones they had for a while but not as good as some we have had in the past.  It is also smaller, only holds 16 ounces and isn't as well insulated.

Agree, ice melted and warmed up fast. There has been at least 5-6 Models last 8yrs

On 7/6/2022 at 12:14 PM, flamingos said:

How were the chips attached to the bottom, just taped or glued on?  Those look like regular frozen drink cups that they used when their supply of regular cups ran out.

Can someone post a picture of the chip-sticky-packet on the bottom of the new cups? I really hate the idea of dragging around a cup on the ship but also really want to use the Freestyle machine (first time with beverage package). I'd love to do what that kid did in the video and have the chip with me and use the clean cups that are in the dining facility, but it also sounds like it might not work as well with the new sticker chip?

29 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Can someone post a picture of the chip-sticky-packet on the bottom of the new cups? I really hate the idea of dragging around a cup on the ship but also really want to use the Freestyle machine (first time with beverage package). I'd love to do what that kid did in the video and have the chip with me and use the clean cups that are in the dining facility, but it also sounds like it might not work as well with the new sticker chip?

The stickers were a temporary thing while they didn't have cups with chips in them.  I haven't read of any ship still using the stickers.

On Explorer over Halloween, we got the old style, not my favorite.  Only hubby had the soda package but the bartender gave us 2 cups.  Tried to hand it back saying I didn’t get one.  He shrugged & said have a nice day.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The stickers were a temporary thing while they didn't have cups with chips in them.  I haven't read of any ship still using the stickers.

Aha! So the new cups have the chip built into the bottom of the cup again like it was in the old cups?

• Like 1

The price of the soda package is already outrageous compared to what it costs RCI.  At least, the old style tumbler was a decent cup in terms of keeping the drink cold when you were at the pool.  That's what I received as late as September this year on Wonder. If they are going to cheap out now on providing even those, might be time to re-think that soda package.

Getting off the Oasis now and this was the cup they gave out. 

On our June Liberty cruise, they gave out the one color plastic cups but there are not freestyle machines so no need for the chip.

E1EC479F-B5FD-42D0-B748-3DFD2E6826B7.jpeg

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:17 AM, Liljo22 said:

On our June Liberty cruise, they gave out the one color plastic cups but there are not freestyle machines so no need for the chip.

Wait.  Doesn't the Liberty have Freestyle machines?  

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Wait.  Doesn't the Liberty have Freestyle machines?  

It does not.  Needed to go to the bar for refills.

Edit: I was on in June so someone can correct me if they have added them since. 

Edited by Liljo22

17 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

It does not.  Needed to go to the bar for refills.

Edit: I was on in June so someone can correct me if they have added them since. 

Wow, I thought it had them when I sailed on Liberty the one and only time our music charter used the vessel in 2015, but it's been a while.   

Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised; the food service in general on that sailing was remarkably sub-par, and when the charter shifted to the Indy 2016-2020, I certainly didn't shed a tear.  

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, tolian said:

Any updates on the soda package cups?  Sailing on the Quantum in 3 weeks and wish to do the sticker to card swap.  I was wondering if it was still possible?

The cups have the RFID chip imbedded in them.  They haven't been doing the stickers for over a year now.

Thanks for the info @reallyitsmema.  How are exactly are they embedded?  Is it like the YouTube video of the kid smashing the double walled souvenir cup (post #20 of this thread) to get to the chip sticker?  Or is it something like embedded into melted plastic that would destroy the chip in the process of removing it?

Edited by tolian

6 minutes ago, tolian said:

Thanks for the info @reallyitsmema.  How are exactly are they embedded?  Is it like the YouTube video of the kid smashing the double walled souvenir cup (post #20 of this thread) to get to the chip sticker?  Or is it something like embedded into melted plastic that would destroy the chip in the process of removing it?

It is in the base of the cup and smashing the cup would likely not damage it.  Let me see if I can find the cup from our May Oasis sailing as you can actually see the chip in the new, smaller cup.