Proctored Covid Tests inquiries

cr8tiv1

Someone suggested on the already long (65 pages) thread that someone start another thread.  So here I am with a couple of questions and comments.  I have always been successful in finding a local pharmacy to do a rapid antigen test.  This time, I am looking at a cruise that will not allow me to do the testing from my home location.

Part A:  I looked at the reviews for OnPoint Testing.  Has anyone successfully boarded a Princess ship using this company?

Claims:  

Certified Teleservice COVID Testing

Test Anywhere with a Video Appointment Using Any Over The Counter Approved Home Test and Receive Lab Certified Results!

Reviews:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/onpoint-covid-19-testing-san-bruno?sort_by=date_desc

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-mateo/profile/covid-testing/onpoint-testing-1116-929915

Part B:  I just had an interesting email conversation with eMed.  I have seen reviews on CC that one should take an extra Binax Now ID proctored test with them to use before embarkation.  So I sent an email to eMed regarding this issue.  They suggested that I take extra kits (just in case).  I replied asking if I could take an over the counter Binax Now ID home kit and use the pieces from that kit to replace defective items in their Proctored Test.....while the proctor watched me doing the exchange.  In not so many words...she said "NO".  

Part C.  Does anyone in the Vancouver, BC area know of a place I could have as a backup for a rapid antigen test?  Would this be covered by an American Insurance Plan (not medicare)?

Thank you in advance.  Please feel free to comment or add your own questions.

Regarding Part B:

I have used the Abbott BinaxNow proctored test for a return flight to the US (prior to that requirement being lifted.)  DW and I had 4 test kits between us.  My concern was the "supposed" claim that if anything happens to your video connection or you drop pieces of the kit or the camera gets bumped so that your kit is out of view then your test would be flagged as "invalid".  The extra 2 kits were simply as backup.  We did not need them because we did the test on land in a hotel room where we had very good internet.  We will use the remaining 2 tests for an upcoming August sailing assuming that we still have to do so.

All that to say...I can recommend the BinaxNow tests.  They worked well for me.  I wish they had not been so expensive!

• Thanks 1

I did not us On Point Testing.  I used https://rapidtestandtrace.com/.  $20.  Was emailed my negative confirmation as soon as the proctor confirmed my test was neg.  Since the cruise was stopping in Victoria, the results were also provided in French.

Pack some extra tests.  if something "bad" happens - dropped test, etc.  the proctor will likely have to have you start over rather than replace bits from a different test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Regarding Part B:

I have used the Abbott BinaxNow proctored test for a return flight to the US (prior to that requirement being lifted.)  DW and I had 4 test kits between us.  My concern was the "supposed" claim that if anything happens to your video connection or you drop pieces of the kit or the camera gets bumped so that your kit is out of view then your test would be flagged as "invalid".  The extra 2 kits were simply as backup.  We did not need them because we did the test on land in a hotel room where we had very good internet.  We will use the remaining 2 tests for an upcoming August sailing assuming that we still have to do so.

All that to say...I can recommend the BinaxNow tests.  They worked well for me.  I wish they had not been so expensive!

I guess I will have to order additional BInax Now ID / Proctored tests.  My last set/order was reimbursed (but I haven't used them yet).  I will place another order as soon as "I" am eligible for more "free" tests.  Thanks for your recommendation.

12 minutes ago, miagirl said:

I did not us On Point Testing.  I used https://rapidtestandtrace.com/.  $20.  Was emailed my negative confirmation as soon as the proctor confirmed my test was neg.  Since the cruise was stopping in Victoria, the results were also provided in French.

Pack some extra tests.  if something "bad" happens - dropped test, etc.  the proctor will likely have to have you start over rather than replace bits from a different test.

I do have iHealth over the counter "free" tests.  Can I use my own tests with this company?  Or do I have to purchase from them?  I have "learned" to travel with additional tests.  Wish some of the boxes were not so large.  Takes up valuable real estate when you are limited in space.  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, miagirl said:

Are those tests sealed?  You used them to board a PCL cruise out of the US? So it was $20 for the test and proctored included? 

TIA

47 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Are those tests sealed?  You used them to board a PCL cruise out of the US? So it was $20 for the test and proctored included? 

TIA

Those are my concerns:  Will these "over the counter" home tests results be enough to get me ON a Princess Cruise.  Right now, my best option seems to be with the Binax Now ID proctored tests.  

59 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do have iHealth over the counter "free" tests.  Can I use my own tests with this company?  Or do I have to purchase from them?  I have "learned" to travel with additional tests.  Wish some of the boxes were not so large.  Takes up valuable real estate when you are limited in space.  Thanks.

45 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

TIA

Cr8tiv1 - yes you can use your own tests, provided that they approved FDA tests.  The one I used was one the the "free" tests the government was sending out this year.   There's a list on the website of all the ones that the company accepts.  

PacnGoNow - no, the boxes that the tests come in are not sealed.  Everything in the box is though except for the instructions.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, miagirl said:

Cr8tiv1 - yes you can use your own tests, provided that they approved FDA tests.  The one I used was one the the "free" tests the government was sending out this year.   There's a list on the website of all the ones that the company accepts.  

PacnGoNow - no, the boxes that the tests come in are not sealed.  Everything in the box is though except for the instructions.  

Thank you for clarifying the above.  But, if I understand you correctly, you used the test to get back into the US not to get ON a ship?  Yes?  Another backup.  How hard was it to book an appointment with rapid test and trace?

I forgot to answer some of your questions, sorry.

I used my email with my negative tests results to board Crown Princess in Seattle.  The $20 is for the proctoring only as I had my free government tests.

Also, I should say that I was a bit peeved at first when I checked the expiration dates on some of my tests, they were expiring in June - a super short shelf live in my opinion.  When I mentioned that to one of my best pals (and a Director of a Medical Practice at a teaching hospital), she informed me that the expiration dates had been extended.  In the end, I didn't not verify this as I ended up using the soon to be expired tests (I was so sick in early June that I was certain I had Covid - nope 7 negative tests in a row proved me wrong.)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for clarifying the above.  But, if I understand you correctly, you used the test to get back into the US not to get ON a ship?  Yes?  Another backup.  How hard was it to book an appointment with rapid test and trace?

No, I used it to board the ship in Seattle for my Alaskan cruise.  No tests are required now to get back into the US.  I also uploaded the test result in the Medallion App.  I print a paper copy just in case, no one wanted the paper.

Booking an appointment was super easy.  I booked it on June 16th, had the test on June June 24th in the morning.  We embarked the Crown on June 25.

I also gave myself an at home test 2 days before the observed test.  I didn't want to go to the trouble of packing only to find out that I couldn't go!

Also, I used the Binax Now proctored test in the fall to go on a cruise.  That was $60 for the  test kit and the proctoring.

• Thanks 1

@cr8tiv1 part C. Re:  Reimbursement:  You didn’t mention your insurance. But since you live in both California and Hawaii, I will add this. I received a reimbursement check today from Kaiser Permanente for tests done in London during our visit there in June.   I submitted the request in the app and it took about 2 weeks, very easy.  

If this doesn’t apply to you, it may still help others.  

• Thanks 1

@milolii  Thanks for chiming in. 

I have been reimbursed for my at home test kits (including the proctored Binax Now ID).  But that was in January.  Hope it still applies.

I have never had to pay for a pharmacy covid test (rapid antigen) in the US.  Have never tried to claim an out of country test.  My insurance company may sound an alarm for that (lol).

My family just used rapidtestandtrace.com (https://rapidtestandtrace.com/) with freebie iHealth tests we obtained locally.  It was $20/person for the proctored tests.  I purchased all 4, which was fine except that it meant that all communication including pdfs of results were sent to me.  So, I had to be available to receive (and double-check) the results certificates.

It was really simple: they send you a link to Microsoft Teams to access at your appointment time (no need to be early). I didn't have to download MT or anything - I accessed it thru my browser.  The proctor walked me thru the steps, watching me swab my nose (so fun!), and looked at the "cartridge" thing when the wait time expired.  We received pdf documents with our name, passport number, date of birth, and date and time of the test. It's in English, French, and Spanish and includes a signature from the proctor.

We seemed certain that our health insurance would not pay for a non-medically mandated covid test and Walgreens here in AZ wants $139/test.  It's possible our FSA will reimburse us for the testing, but we may have exhausted that already.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1