Question: SAS pilot strike stranding Nieuw Statendam pax

Boatdrill

Apologies if this has already been discussed; I didn't see a thread about it.

The NS was returning from Iceland when the strike was announced,  and now hundreds of HAL pax are 

in a Copenhagen hotel waiting for HAL air/sea to rebook their flights home. Cruise ended Wednesday, July 6, and the earliest flights available back to the US

arranged by HAL are scheduled for July 9, 10, and 11. My friends do have the CPP Platinum plan, and their HAL flight will leave on July 11. 

Question: would you wait out the time in Copenhagen to use the HAL flights, or would you independently look for other flights to get you home 

earlier ?   

Edited by Boatdrill

• Boatdrill changed the title to Question: SAS pilot strike stranding Nieuw Statendam pax

If my husband were with me, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him back ASAP because he still works (and getting him to take vacation is always an effort.)

For myself, I always like more time in an interesting place. Copenhagen is expensive, though, so @SilvertoGold raises an important point.

If I were eager to get home, I'd consider non-flight options to move myself away from the area where SAS controls more of the flights. Are there ferries or trains, for example, to get one closer to major European airports?

I hope you are not an anxious traveler, @Boatdrill, and that you're enjoying wherever you are staying.

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Stay.  I am interested in knowing who would be paying for the hotel and incidentals if no HAL insurance was purchased.

Just about any comprehensive travel insurance policy would pay for it under Missed Connection/Trip Delay/Trip Interruption.  The dollar caps vary by policy.

People who depend on their credit card for travel risks will find that the $500 max does not go very far when delayed for several days. They’ll also find that it will not pay for the difference in cost for a new flight - just change fees.

The real problem is for those who don’t have coverage.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 5

If I could not stay I would rebook my own airfares and deal with HAL when I got home. Your first course is to call the airline for assistance before going to another carrier, as the original carrier may rebook your at no additional cost.    HAL’s  terms leave them harmless for cancellations.  You should get your money back for the flight but will not be compensated by HAL for your additional costs.  The airline should be refunding but in the worst case your credit card will.   Your insurance, if any, will dictate any other money you can recover, again I would worry about that when I arrived home.  

I booked my SAS non-stop Copenhagen-Chicago flights independently using AMEX but have HAL insurance (around $450 pp).  I had to get home to get my daughter to her $5K camp on time (they are traveling to the national parks so I couldn't just let her delay the camp for a few days).  I also had to get back for work.  Stuck on a cruise ship with long lines for the phone and poor internet service, I called AMEX travel and booked business class (all that was available) for a flight from Copenhagen to Istanbul and then to Chicago (around $2.4K pp).  I hope that I will receive reimbursement from SAS, the HAL insurance, and/or AMEX.  I'll be working on that next week.  Fingers crossed.  I had to get home and SAS only notified us of the cancellation the day before the flight while reporting that they had no other options to offer us and that we should not show up at the airport.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Babr said:

Just about any comprehensive travel insurance policy would pay for it under Missed Connection/Trip Delay/Trip Interruption.  The dollar caps vary by policy.

People who depend on their credit card for travel risks will find that the $500 max does not go very far when delayed for several days. They’ll also find that it will not pay for the difference in cost for a new flight - just change fees.

The real problem is for those who don’t have coverage.

We have always bought travel insurance basically for medical and especially medical evacuation, but in these times with the present airline situations, the missed connection/ trip delay,/ trip interruption has become very important also.

I was on this cruise and also booked my ticket with SAS.  I had bought the ticket with SAS directly and not through HAL.  I was supposed to fly directly from CPH to LAX yesterday but that flight was cancelled 24 hours prior on Wednesday.  I tried calling SAS and doing their chat bot and both were useless.  I finally went to CPH and waited to talk to someone at the SAS customer service desk.  It took about 2 hours but I was finally able to get rebooked on a new flight and got home yesterday (so the same day I was supposed to fly home).  They booked me on SAS Connect to Heathrow and then British Airways from Heathrow to LAX.  If you're unable to get a quicker flight, then I would suggest trying to do this since that was the only way I could get any help.  The help desk is located at the rear of the first floor of terminal 3 past where the check in desks are.  They have a kiosk there where you select what class you were booked on and it spits out a ticket with a number on it.  You then have to wait for them to call your number and make sure you're paying attention because they were ruthless with moving on to the next number if you don't immediately walk up when yours is called (and they don't make any actual announcement, it just changes the number on their digital signs above each help desk).  Also, don't be afraid to be pushy but polite - this helped get me changed to a 3 hour layover instead of the 14 hour one they tried to make me take.

Good luck getting home.  It was an amazing cruise but such a horrible way to end it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, SilvertoGold said:

Stay.  I am interested in knowing who would be paying for the hotel and incidentals if no HAL insurance was purchased.

EU 261 states that the airline has to pay for this in the event that your flight is cancelled and you are rebooked on another flight.  It says you can spend up to 250 euro for a hotel each night and 50 per person a day on food (no alcohol).  You have to pay for it out of pocket and then submit receipts to SAS for reimbursement.  I have no idea how long it would take to get reimbursed.

Also, for everyone who had their flight cancelled - make sure to submit a claim under EU 261.  You should be entitled to 600 euro for the hassle.  You can submit your claim on the SAS website.  I plan to do that today.

Here's the info on this law:

https://www.flysas.com/en/legal-info/eu-passenger-rights/

And the form to fill out for compensation claims:

https://www.flysas.com/en/customer-service/contact/forms/claim-flights/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

We were cancelled as well.  Had insurance.  Never heard any alternative flights from HAL.  Received a letter in our stateroom stating basically you can wait and HAL will rebook you or you can schedule something yourself and seek reimbursement.  Form was also included.  Guest services found and booked our flights.   Spotty wi-fi and only cell phones made it difficult to book.  Grateful for the assistance (after waiting 2+ hours in line with another 50 people).   Now we are filing with insurance first then HAL will review if anything remaining.  We did fly business class one leg.  Any next day flights are HUGE $$.  I hope we don't run into issues.  I needed to return to work or we could have just hung out in the hotel and waiting for HAL Seattle to rebook us.  Poor communication on HALs part.  They boast 24 hour support yet there was nobody working when this all got cancelled.  Guest services couldn't even contact them.  Bad ending to a great trip.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:04 PM, roxybear135 said:

EU 261 states that the airline has to pay for this in the event that your flight is cancelled and you are rebooked on another flight.  It says you can spend up to 250 euro for a hotel each night and 50 per person a day on food (no alcohol).  You have to pay for it out of pocket and then submit receipts to SAS for reimbursement.  I have no idea how long it would take to get reimbursed.

Also, for everyone who had their flight cancelled - make sure to submit a claim under EU 261.  You should be entitled to 600 euro for the hassle.  You can submit your claim on the SAS website.  I plan to do that today.

Here's the info on this law:

https://www.flysas.com/en/legal-info/eu-passenger-rights/

And the form to fill out for compensation claims:

https://www.flysas.com/en/customer-service/contact/forms/claim-flights/

Thank you Roxy.  I filed my claim with SAS and received an email confirming that they received it, but that's it for now.  I think I sat by you and your fiancé at the table by the way 🙂. I had handled things differently.  I booked an expensive flight through Istanbul in order to get home.  I'm a little unclear about what I'm entitled to having flown business class, but it was all they had available.  I had a child and I had to get home (and was still a day later).  Fingers crossed as I'd love to get my money back.  Hoping that they act in good faith in responding to the claims.  The SAS email said they couldn't find an alternative flight and that I shouldn't go to the airport.  So, I booked what I could to get home from Copenhagen.

18 hours ago, Mom39 said:

Thank you Roxy.  I filed my claim with SAS and received an email confirming that they received it, but that's it for now.  I think I sat by you and your fiancé at the table by the way 🙂. I had handled things differently.  I booked an expensive flight through Istanbul in order to get home.  I'm a little unclear about what I'm entitled to having flown business class, but it was all they had available.  I had a child and I had to get home (and was still a day later).  Fingers crossed as I'd love to get my money back.  Hoping that they act in good faith in responding to the claims.  The SAS email said they couldn't find an alternative flight and that I shouldn't go to the airport.  So, I booked what I could to get home from Copenhagen.

Yes, that was us at the table.  I also filed the claim, received the confirmation email, and nothing since.  I've heard it can take months to receive the money, so I don't expect to hear anything soon from them.  I had booked a backup flight but fortunately was able to cancel that when I got them to rebook me because all of the flights out of CPH were insanely expensive.  Hopefully you get them to refund you.  Or perhaps you can look to see if you had trip cancellation insurance?  Some credit cards do cover that.  Good luck with getting your money back and hope your daughter had a fun time at camp!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, roxybear135 said:

Yes, that was us at the table.  I also filed the claim, received the confirmation email, and nothing since.  I've heard it can take months to receive the money, so I don't expect to hear anything soon from them.  I had booked a backup flight but fortunately was able to cancel that when I got them to rebook me because all of the flights out of CPH were insanely expensive.  Hopefully you get them to refund you.  Or perhaps you can look to see if you had trip cancellation insurance?  Some credit cards do cover that.  Good luck with getting your money back and hope your daughter had a fun time at camp!

Our business class flight from Copenhagen to Chicago were 4880 (two people) but when searched Kayak the day before our flight home (after receiving the email from SAS), that was around the same price as a coach on British Air.  Had I read the regulations before booking I would have seen that they require the flight to be in the same class, but I'd be happy to receive what British Air was charging for coach along with money for food, etc.  W/ business class we had lounge access, etc., and we did go from a nonstop Copenhagen-Chicago to two lengthy flights and a long layover.  Anyway, so I had purchased the premium insurance with HAL but I didn't book my SAS flights through them so I don't think it will help.  I also purchased our flights with AMEX, but strikes aren't covered apparently.  I'll seek reimbursement from both once I hear back from SAS.  Good luck to you!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tradintraci said:

has anyone received any compensation from insurance or EC 261?  Still waiting.............

I haven't received anything.  I also can't find any way to look up the status of my claim.  I'm assuming with the number of people who probably filed claims due to the strike that it's going to be a long, long wait.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, tradintraci said:

has anyone received any compensation from insurance or EC 261?  Still waiting.............

Just got an email from SAS this morning saying that I'm getting the 600 euros ($582 USD) and reimbursement for the food I purchased at the airport (it was only around $20).  The email said it should be in my bank account in about a week.

I also received an email that they will be reimbursing us the $600 or so per person as compensation.  The email did not address the $4.8K we paid for a last-minute flight home nor did it address reimbursement for what I paid to SAS.  I called (it is easier to get through now) and the SAS representative said he would document my call and ask for follow up.  He thinks that SAS will eventually reimburse our flights as well.  So far, I haven't received anything.  We are cruising again with HAL for Christmas and looking forward to it. It was a lovely cruise and obviously a great price, just not if I get stuck with the $4.8K cost for the flight home. 🙂 

• 2 months later...

I received an email today and am upset.  It took SAS months to return the money I paid for the return flight home they cancelled.  Now I'm waiting for the mandatory compensation and the reimbursement for the flight I had to purchase with one day's notice.  This is what they wrote to me and, first, the amount they quote is significantly less than my out-of-pocket costs.  In addition, I'm not clear what they are going to deposit.  When they 1270, is that per person for the flight or did they in their wisdom decide that was total for both flights and the mandatory compensation under European law?  Frustrated.  Here's the latest email (and received after sending numerous emails and making numerous calls):

Thank you for your reply and I do understand your concern.

Further to your request for reimbursement of your alternate transportation, I see that your alternate transportation expense seem to be high. Hence, we had made an individual evaluation and we find USD 1270 is reasonable in this case.
Amount will take 8 to 9 business days to credit.

It is my hope that you will choose SAS for your future travel as we are looking forward to seeing you onboard again soon.

This is the follow-up email I received today which is still a bit confusing but also infuriating (and does not explain whether the 1270 is for each passenger):

Thank you for your reply and I sincerely apologies for not mentioning the information in my previous mails

I can confirm that, in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004, you are entitled to receive a flat rate compensation. We will arrange a transfer of the claimed amount EUR 600, equivalent to USD 639 per passenger.
As mentioned in my previous mail for your alternate transport expenses, I am sorry to say that we are unable to meet your request for full reimbursement, 
we find USD 1270 is reasonable in this case.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

1 hour ago, Mom39 said:

This is the follow-up email I received today which is still a bit confusing but also infuriating (and does not explain whether the 1270 is for each passenger):

Thank you for your reply and I sincerely apologies for not mentioning the information in my previous mails

I can confirm that, in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004, you are entitled to receive a flat rate compensation. We will arrange a transfer of the claimed amount EUR 600, equivalent to USD 639 per passenger.
As mentioned in my previous mail for your alternate transport expenses, I am sorry to say that we are unable to meet your request for full reimbursement, 
we find USD 1270 is reasonable in this case.

Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

I have a feeling that they will NOT see you onboard soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking forward to my HAL cruise (boarding 12/23), but, yep, I don't think I'll fly SAS again.  How on earth did they come up for $1,270!!!!!  I am angry.  Happy about the EU law of $600 per person for the inconvenience.  But, I won't be giving up.