Just off the Queen Mary 2 today

penlady

33 minutes ago, penlady said:

What on earth has happened to the level of service that I knew and always received on board this ship. Stay tuned for my comments when I get time to write them. 

I have my Popcorn ready, however,  I doubt you'll get any sympathy from this board as many of us who have recently sailed on QM2 (post pandemic) have nothing but praise for those hard working crew members who have returned back to service, having been unemployed for the past two and half years .🍿

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't know, we have 2 other posters who have been posting live and I haven't noticed any particular complaints about the service. What were the problems ?

Hattie, I would love to tell you all the things I experienced. But I can see already what will happen. As for the gentleman and his popcorn sorry not telling you what happened as for the crew I more than doubled my tip to my Steward because he was out of work so long. I heard several people saying they were going to complain to Cunard .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, penlady said:

Hattie, I would love to tell you all the things I experienced. But I can see already what will happen. As for the gentleman and his popcorn sorry not telling you what happened as for the crew I more than doubled my tip to my Steward because he was out of work so long. I heard several people saying they were going to complain to Cunard .

That's a shame, we've had reports in the past that the July 4th cruise can be a "different" experience but without specifics it's difficult to comment.

• Thanks 1

@penlady - I hope you will reconsider and share your concerns as you had originally intended.  Constructive criticism is a way to grow and improve.  Just because others did not encounter your experiences, it does not diminish what you found to be true.  Their stories in no way affect yours, so I'm not sure why they were even brought up.

21 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's a shame, we've had reports in the past that the July 4th cruise can be a "different" experience but without specifics it's difficult to comment.

Thank you, Hattie, I was on this particular cruise before and loved it. now thanks to your kind comment and from a couple of other posters I will write my thoughts in a little while I only changed my mind because I could tell there may be people out there that will rip my comments apart but I decided I really do not care about the negative comments as my 94 year old aunt would say " you are you and I am me " everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, High C's said:

@penlady - I hope you will reconsider and share your concerns as you had originally intended.  Constructive criticism is a way to grow and improve.  Just because others did not encounter your experiences, it does not diminish what you found to be true.  Their stories in no way affect yours, so I'm not sure why they were even brought up.

Thank you, I will list my thoughts you are absolutely right and some others also .

4 minutes ago, penlady said:

Thank you, Hattie, I was on this particular cruise before and loved it. now thanks to your kind comment and from a couple of other posters I will write my thoughts in a little while I only changed my mind because I could tell there may be people out there that will rip my comments apart but I decided I really do not care about the negative comments as my 94 year old aunt would say " you are you and I am me " everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

I'm just off the same voyage and it sounds like I'd agree. I intend to put my experience into words here, as well, once I've got myself settled. I heard a lot of people who said they were planning to write in to Cunard because of the experience. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but trust that you aren't alone!

• Like 1

I was on this cruise and overall we had a wonderful time. I realize that due to Covid, there have been many changes, so it is not fair to compare current conditions to past experiences.  

Yes, embarkation was absolutely terrible (hours waiting in line in the heat), and yes, we had to wear our masks all the time, but the ship is stunning, the activities were plentiful, and dressing formally for an elegant dinner was a real highlight.

Our shore excursion in Boston was disorganized and ran an hour late, but we did see a lot.  Too much crazy paperwork for Canada, but that is not Cunard's responsibility.  Most people did not get off anyway.  It was cold and raining in Halifax, but weather cannot be controlled. We had a nice mix of sea days and port days, and the itinerary was relaxing.

All the service was great, and the dining room had a great choice of food selections.  We had three different waiters--I think our first one caught Covid and substitutes were sent in--but we were well served every evening.

There were many, many elderly passengers on the ship, and often lines at the Purser's desk were long.  Some of the issues I heard raised were almost beyond the ability of the staff (one person did not like the lights in the theater?!), but staff were always patient and kind.

I am very happy to have returned to cruising, and I really appreciated all the efforts the crew undertook to please customers.  I certainly look forward to my next Cunard cruise experience!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

penlady, you will be supported and protected from the popcorn eaters!

I was also just on the QM2 (July 1 sailing). I have sailed Cunard before, starting with the QE2.  My specific example will be the bar service, specifically in the afternoon and at the cocktail hour. (While many may not drink or enjoy the cocktail lounges, I do.)

Yes, the crew were new to their positions. They were not the best in the trade. However, they were also not being directly supervised. Not ONCE did I see an experienced bartender or officer (yes, there is a bar officer!) standing in view and observing what was happening at the bar, as drinks were being concocted.  Anyone who has ever worked with staff know that you need a hands-on approach to training new staff.  You don't just hand them equipment and ingredients and tell them to get on with the work!

Every afternoon I and my friends would enjoy a mojito at the Carinthia Bar. The first day, the experienced bartender was creating absolutely delicious drinks, a perfect combination of mint, rum, and sugar. The second and subsequent days, they were bland and tasteless. I politely questioned the table server and was told all of the ingredients were in the cocktail.  Another taste indicated that was not true, so I went to the bar to talk with the bartender.  She was making them with vodka and not adding any sugar.  I helped her to understand that that was not how a mojito was made. SHE ARGUED with me!  (I was calm and polite.) She left the bar and returned with the bar tender from the previous day, who instructed her (politely) how to properly make a mojito. The very next day we returned for our after lunch mojito, and the second bartender was there. She again made the mojito incorrectly, with vodka and without sugar. 

To drag this discussion further, EVERY NIGHT in the Chart Room, my friend and I would order the same cocktail.  A gin martini, NO vermouth (or Churchill) and NO garnish (or Naked). The server would repeat the order and the bartender made the cocktail.  It would come back as a gin martini with vermouth -- sent back -- returned as a vodka martini with a twist of lemon -- sent back -- returned correctly.  This happened every single night!  Even the server was getting upset with the bartender.  I am seriously telling you, this happened every single night in the Chart Room.

And NEVER was the officer in charge of the bar present!

Once, when I went to the Purser's Desk to ask a question (10 people in line and only 2 agents, in the middle of the afternoon!) an officer came out of a side door. I asked her a question, and was politely told, "I am in charge of the bars, so cannot answer any of your questions," as she strolled on, not even stopping to ensure I had anything else to ask.

THAT is Cunard's current problem.  The officers -- including the office in charge -- is NOT supervising the day to day operations of the ship. They are not present to see what is lacking or what needs attention.  NO company can survive if this continues. (The only time I saw officers were either walking briskly to some task or coming into a lounge to sit with a young girl for a coffee or cocktail.)

Edited by njguy_south
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

I was also just on the QM2 (July 1 sailing). I have sailed Cunard before, starting with the QE2.  My specific example will be the bar service, specifically in the afternoon and at the cocktail hour. (While many may not drink or enjoy the cocktail lounges, I do.)

Yes, the crew were new to their positions. They were not the best in the trade. However, they were also not being directly supervised. Not ONCE did I see an experienced bartender or officer (yes, there is a bar officer!) standing in view and observing what was happening at the bar, as drinks were being concocted.  Anyone who has ever worked with staff know that you need a hands-on approach to training new staff.  You don't just hand them equipment and ingredients and tell them to get on with the work!

Every afternoon I and my friends would enjoy a mojito at the Carinthia Bar. The first day, the experienced bartender was creating absolutely delicious drinks, a perfect combination of mint, rum, and sugar. The second and subsequent days, they were bland and tasteless. I politely questioned the table server and was told all of the ingredients were in the cocktail.  Another taste indicated that was not true, so I went to the bar to talk with the bartender.  She was making them with vodka and not adding any sugar.  I helped her to understand that that was not how a mojito was made. SHE ARGUED with me!  (I was calm and polite.) She left the bar and returned with the bar tender from the previous day, who instructed her (politely) how to properly make a mojito. The very next day we returned for our after lunch mojito, and the second bartender was there. She again made the mojito incorrectly, with vodka and without sugar. 

To drag this discussion further, EVERY NIGHT in the Chart Room, my friend and I would order the same cocktail.  A gin martini, NO vermouth (or Churchill) and NO garnish (or Naked). The server would repeat the order and the bartender made the cocktail.  It would come back as a gin martini with vermouth -- sent back -- returned as a vodka martini with a twist of lemon -- sent back -- returned correctly.  This happened every single night!  Even the server was getting upset with the bartender.  I am seriously telling you, this happened every single night in the Chart Room.

Once, when I went to the Purser's Desk to ask a question (10 people in line and only 2 agents, in the middle of the afternoon!) an officer came out of a side door. I asked her a question, and was politely told, "I am in charge of the bars, so cannot answer any of your questions," as she strolled on, not even stopping to ensure I had anything else to ask.

THAT is Cunard's current problem.  The officers -- including the office in charge -- is NOT supervising the day to day operations of the ship. They are not present to see what is lacking or what needs attention.  NO company can survive if this continues. (The only time I saw officers were either walking briskly to some task or coming into a lounge to sit with a young girl for a coffee or cocktail.)

Makes one wonder in he event of an emergency whether the officers will be up to the task of insuring passenger safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Well, thank you. i still intend to post but trying to get my act together first still feeling very tired but a few more cups of coffee should do it. Thank you for your support. I guess the popcorn eaters may be outnumbered. 

1 hour ago, penlady said:

Well, thank you. i still intend to post but trying to get my act together first still feeling very tired but a few more cups of coffee should do it. Thank you for your support. I guess the popcorn eaters may be outnumbered. 

Hello NJ Guy, I just noticed you are in N.J so am I (Bergen Coiunty). Small world!!

• Like 1

Wish you'd get on with it - I'm hungry , I'm dying to Tuck into my already opened  popcorn 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just got off yesterday also.

Found the service just fine although training going on.

Bar service no problem for us beer people.

Just a few big things ( 2 elevators , terrace pool) closed the entire 7 night cruise for maintenance that was not happening , along with the waterfall & several water jets in the Spa pool.

Of course the rust which could be expected on a 20 year old ship.

A couple of good shows , food was good in Brittania and even better on Bamboo Night at the Kings Court Alternative and the Verandah.

Been on several of these Independence Day cruises but nothing close to the celebration put on by the QM2 on Deck13 that night .

All in all a good cruise until the final night. Despite folowing the onboard Mask Rules , 4 Vac's , we both came home with Covid19 .(I'm convinced Masks don't help.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, njguy_south said:

How disappointing. I feel for you.

5 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Yes, the crew were new to their positions. They were not the best in the trade. However, they were also not being directly supervised.

njguy_south,

On our May 8th Crossing we also noticed the large number of new crew but we had the opposite experience with supervisors. For us they seemed to be everywhere. I would also add that the new crew were trying very hard but yes, the learning curve had a bit to go.

We also share your appreciation for a well made cocktail. Our normal habitat is the Commodore Club and I can report that Dee's Cosmos and my Manhattans were perfectly prepared. However, we did have drinks in G-32 one night and the results were disappointing. I wonder if the better bartenders are first allocated to the Commodore Club???

Jack

Edited by Jack E Dawson