Booze Cruise Hope Not

ScottC4746

On 7/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Guarantee while there will be a few that will overindulge; it will be no different than the cruise we took on Infinity with 1400 Aussies and 400 Kiwis where Celebrity ran out of beer 6 days into a 14 day cruise.  If someone was overserved someone assisted in getting them to their cabin.

Some 5 or 6 years ago there was a large group on a cruise during Spring Break.  Things got rowdy and there were numerous incidents on board.  At the next port a couple dozen passengers were thrown off and arrested.  Many others were packed up and left on the pier. 

I was not on that one but one similar. Aussie Spring break going to Fiji Islands needs to be avoided. Just like Spring break in the Caribbean. 2nd leg to NZ was a whole different demographic and very similar to Oceania cruises I had taken prior to this one. Do your homework 🙂

I think the fact that Carnival puts a limit on your drinks tells you all you need to know about some of their guests.

I can easily do 15 drinks a day when you count water, tea, soda, etc so I would not be thrilled with having it capped. Non alcoholic beverages shouldn't be included but that's one of the many reasons I don't sail Carnival.

2 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

I think the fact that Carnival puts a limit on your drinks tells you all you need to know about some of their guests.

Many believe it's all about CCL saving the Benjamin's, nothing to do with capping pax because many can go back to their room and continue to consume anything they brought on.

I personally know several people who COULD handle 15 drinks and know several people who CAN'T handle 15 drinks

29 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

I can easily do 15 drinks a day when you count water, tea, soda, etc so I would not be thrilled with having it capped. Non alcoholic beverages shouldn't be included but that's one of the many reasons I don't sail Carnival.

Two things.  It's not just Carnival, other CCL lines also have it.

And the cap is on Alcoholic drinks - you can drink 50 coffees a day if you want, at least on Princess.

I have experienced a ship full of drunks. It’s awful.  With some people who have unlimited beverages included, they always have a drink in hand.  My last cruise in June on Summit, we were sold inclusive Always Included.  Since there was a shortage of crew,  they didn’t replenish their supplies. Not sure if they were too overworked to go get more liquor and soda or if their supply was depleted.  Asking for a drink was like playing a guessing game. If I ask for a drink, will they have it?  Or will they try to pass off a poor imitation of it?  Mostly, they just said no.  I was told no to apple martini, Canadian club, club soda, diet ginger ale, Aperol spritz, etc.  The wines were fair or undrinkable. Never saw a wine list.  
In conclusion, the cruise was not a booze cruise because the booze wasn’t available.  

On 7/18/2022 at 6:48 AM, LMaxwell said:

4 day tends to not fit for most weekend warrior calendars. There's always the Solarium, your balcony, and any number of lounges aboard to seek refuge.  Unlikely to see any wild behavior beyond daytime main pool so I wouldn't worry about it at all. It will likely be a younger crowd but I wouldn't be concerned about it being a party barge. 

Then let me tell you a story about a now infamous spring break cruise on Connie a number of years ago.  Sailing out of FLL, we had 700 kids onboard from two local colleges - so a lot of them knew each other.  It was before all included, but near the beginning of drink packages.  The 21+ were buying shots for their under 21 friends and dumping them in refillable cups.   You couldn't use the pools as they completely commanded them.  There were shouting matches in the MDR across the tables.  Drunk teenagers were running down the hallways at night randomly knocking on doors and shouting.  Girls in bikinis so tiny you could hardly see them were gyrating on top of lounge chairs at the pool.  I personally noticed at least one drunken maiden needing to be wheelchaired back onto the ship.  A couple of young men were disembarked in Cozumel for breaking pool furniture (bet that was an interesting call home to their parents!).  The senior staff actually held a meeting mid-cruise called "taking back the ship".  They strengthened control of the drinking habits and I don't know what else but it got better after that.  

38 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Then let me tell you a story about a now infamous spring break cruise on Connie a number of years ago.  Sailing out of FLL, we had 700 kids onboard from two local colleges - so a lot of them knew each other.  It was before all included, but near the beginning of drink packages.  The 21+ were buying shots for their under 21 friends and dumping them in refillable cups.   You couldn't use the pools as they completely commanded them.  There were shouting matches in the MDR across the tables.  Drunk teenagers were running down the hallways at night randomly knocking on doors and shouting.  Girls in bikinis so tiny you could hardly see them were gyrating on top of lounge chairs at the pool.  I personally noticed at least one drunken maiden needing to be wheelchaired back onto the ship.  A couple of young men were disembarked in Cozumel for breaking pool furniture (bet that was an interesting call home to their parents!).  The senior staff actually held a meeting mid-cruise called "taking back the ship".  They strengthened control of the drinking habits and I don't know what else but it got better after that.  

I thought at least one person on a booking had to be 25?  Perhaps not at that time.