GeoBlue raised their price for yearly Medivac only insurance. Alternatives?

fstuff1

Pre-pandemic, it was $100/yr and $50 deductible for Medivac only.

In Aug 2021, my policy was $120/yr and $200 deductible.

Now, for Aug 2022 renewal, it's $151/yr and $200 deducible.

Any other Medivac only yearly insurance?

54 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

What do you mean by "Medivac"?  GeoBlue Trekker is Emergency Medical AND Medical Evacuation (Medevac).

MedjetAssist is usually considered the premier Medevac only plan.  It will cost you more than what you have and it does not provide emergency medical coverage.  But, it offers more flexibility and choices than GeoBlue for medical evacuation.

There are also annual travel insurance plans that include emergency medical and medevac coverage along with other coverage.  All of the ones I am aware of are not as good as what you have (in my opinion) for one or more of the following reasons:

• Higher cost
  • Secondary vs Primary payer
  • No or limited waiver of pre-existing conditions.
  • Lower medical limits

A positive is, I don't believe any of the annual plans I have looked at will have the $200 medical deductible.

If you confirm what you are looking for and which of the negatives are non-issues for you, I can point you towards companies you might want to look at.  Otherwise research various annual plans from these companies: Arch RoamRight, Allianz, Travel Guard, Nationwide, Travel Insured, Seven Corners, Trawick Intl and Medjet.

I have elected to stay with GeoBlue (even with the current premium and increased deductible) because it still offers the best plan for my personal situation.

Edited by Jersey42

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

There are also annual travel insurance plans that include emergency medical and medevac coverage along with other coverage.  All of the ones I am aware of are not as good as what you have (in my opinion) for one or more of the following reasons:

• Higher cost
  • Secondary vs Primary payer
  • No or limited waiver of pre-existing conditions.
  • Lower medical limits

A positive is, I don't believe any of the annual plans I have looked at will have the $200 medical deductible.

If you confirm what you are looking for and which of the negatives are non-issues for you, I can point you towards companies you might want to look at.  Otherwise research various annual plans from these companies: Arch RoamRight, Allianz, Travel Guard, Nationwide, Travel Insured, Seven Corners, Trawick Intl and Medjet.

I have elected to stay with GeoBlue (even with the current premium and increased deductible) because it still offers the best plan for my personal situation.

Is GeoBlue primary or secondary?

Nationwide is $79/yr for medical only ($250k evac) but it's secondary.

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Is GeoBlue primary or secondary?

Nationwide is $79/yr for medical only ($250k evac) but it's secondary.

GeoBlue pays primary. No need to file with other insurance first.

Nationwide Deluxe only covers $20K in medical, (their other plans only cover $10K).  The biggest reason I want medical insurance is to cover large unforeseen bills. $20K would not be enough for me, unless I have other insurance that will pay out of the USA and I am just looking for something to cover deductibles and copays.  $250k evac is plenty, assuming the terms (which I have not read) are reasonable.

Unlike GeoBlue, Nationwide will not cover pre-existing conditions (90 day lookback), nor will they waive the pre-existing conditions clause.  If you do not take any prescriptions or rarely see a doctor, this may not be an issue. Otherwise, make sure you read the pre-existing conditions section of the policy and be certain it does not apply to you. Many healthy people have what the insurance companies consider a pre-existing condition, and they don't realize it.

Nationwide limits coverage to trips of 30 days or less.  For most people this is fine, but this is the lowest trip length of any of the annual plans I have looked at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have an annual GeoBlue Trekker policy and have added an IMG policy to cover any trip interruption etc. if necessary for our July Arctic Circle in two weeks.

Does it sound like we've thought of everything ??

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We have an annual GeoBlue Trekker policy and have added an IMG policy to cover any trip interruption etc. if necessary for our July Arctic Circle in two weeks.

why did you pick img for trip interruption over all those other plans out there? (ie: Allianz)

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

why did you pick img for trip interruption over all those other plans out there? (ie: Allianz)

Sorry...I should have said "trip delay". This policy was recommended based on our possible needs by the 3rd provider we have used for years.

Just wanted some possible feedback from some very experienced poster's on this particular board that are always so helpful.

But thanks for your question.

Edited by Ashland

17 hours ago, Ashland said:

We always carry a GeoBlue Trekker policy and sometimes add a trip specific policy when circumstances warrant.  Circumstances have included longer, expensive trips especially when we have had concerns about non traveling family members.  We also have a Chase card that may cover unforeseen expenses when we don't take out a separate trip policy.  When looking for the separate trip policy we never care about the medical portion because we rely on GeoBlue. For the other coverages, we do care about pre-existing conditions for us and non traveling family members.  We also look at covered reasons and exclusions.  We have never purchased IMG, so I can't comment on their coverage.  But it sounds like you have done your homework. Unless you hit some unusual situation you should be in good shape and are probably better covered than most travelers.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I am not the one who picked IMG, but the best way to answer this question for your specific circumstances is to talk with a good travel insurance broker.  If someone knows exactly what they want, they can purchase from any online site for the same price.  If not, I highly recommend Steve or one of his associates at tripinsurancestore.com if you call them. They are very easy to talk with, and they will answer all of your questions and provide recommendations based on your specific circumstances.  They only offer plans from about ten companies, so at first glance it may appear that it limits your choices.  But, they know the plans very well, they know their plans will pay valid claims and they can provided much more targeted advice.  I once tried calling one of the large internet brokers about a plan that Steve did not offer. The rep could pull up on his screen the same info I could pull up, but he did not really know the plan.  He gave me an answer that did not make sense to me. It turned out to be wrong information.  I then called Steve and asked about the plan that he did not sell. He knew more about it than the person who sold it, compared it to options he offered and concluded that the plan I was asking about was the best option for me for that specific trip.  He also told me the best way to purchase it.  He did not make the sale that day, but he gained a customer for life.

41 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

I am not the one who picked IMG, but the best way to answer this question for your specific circumstances is to talk with a good travel insurance broker.  If someone knows exactly what they want, they can purchase from any online site for the same price.  If not, I highly recommend Steve or one of his associates at tripinsurancestore.com if you call them. They are very easy to talk with, and they will answer all of your questions and provide recommendations based on your specific circumstances.  They only offer plans from about ten companies, so at first glance it may appear that it limits your choices.  But, they know the plans very well, they know their plans will pay valid claims and they can provided much more targeted advice.  I once tried calling one of the large internet brokers about a plan that Steve did not offer. The rep could pull up on his screen the same info I could pull up, but he did not really know the plan.  He gave me an answer that did not make sense to me. It turned out to be wrong information.  I then called Steve and asked about the plan that he did not sell. He knew more about it than the person who sold it, compared it to options he offered and concluded that the plan I was asking about was the best option for me for that specific trip.  He also told me the best way to purchase it.  He did not make the sale that day, but he gained a customer for life.

Deanna, Steve's associate at the Trip Insurance Store is who suggested and helped us with the purchase of the IMG policy based on our needs. We're also not concerned about the medical coverage as we have GeoBlue Trekker for that.

• Like 1

Jersey 42 ...although I am frequently reading cruise critic, I wasn't aware of this trip insurance forum until I found it today.... in planning for several cruises and trips to Europe.I found all  your posts, suggestions and experiences VERY helpful. thank you VERY much!  

I am next going to the trip insurance store to purchase the globule trekker policy for my wife and I ...also will be seeking their advice on non medical trip insurance plans. for the next 12 months.

thanks again and be well!

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, tml1230 said:

I am next going to the trip insurance store to purchase the globule trekker policy for my wife and I

you can buy geoblue directly from  their site and cut out the middle man

Edited by fstuff1

15 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

That's true. However, since it doesn't cost any extra, why not utilize a source that can become your advocate when things go sideways, as they will, and that source has proven in the past to be very helpful and reliable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

I don't know about geoblue, but for other regular travel insurers, one doesn't pay extra to use a travel insurance broker, such as TripInsuranceStore.

And then you have their help IF you need it when there is a claim, or just if there are problems and you need some advice.  TIS have been *very* helpful on a few occasions, including once when I was in hospital overseas and we really didn't know what to do because we didn't really want to end the trip at that point.

We were able to get insurance coverage for a week in the middle, a change in transportation that included a private driver for one segment, and then "recover" our regular final week when we spent some very relaxing time in Bellagio/Lake Como and then Milan, before flying home on our originally scheduled flights.

GC

On 7/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, fstuff1 said:

Hi fstuff1,

Yes, there have been some price increases. You also might be experiencing some of these price increases because you have gotten older.

As for the deductible, the Deductible is waived if services are provided by a GeoBlue contracted provider.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1