Amsterdam Disembarkation

flowery

Our original flight was canceled and we need to move quickly to get to the airport. I've read accounts that from arrival to gate it could take 3 hours. Are there taxis available at the pier to take us to Schiphol? I hesitate to book a car in advance not knowing exactly when we can disembark. The Rotterdam is due to arrive at 7am- any idea when we will be off the ship and through port security?

We plan to keep our luggage in our cabins overnight and self disembark as we've occasionally done on other cruises. Therefore, we won't be in a "group" (?)

Does Neptune suite status give us any advantage in getting off the ship quickly? What deck will we be disembarking from?

Any comments appreciated!

In a suite, you can get off anytime after the ship is cleared. They typically say you can go after the self disembarking pax go, but it rarely matters. Yes, self disembarkers are a group.

I would expect you will be disembarking by 7:30, off of either deck A or B. You may, or may not have a passport check. I bet you won't have any Customs procedures.

What time is your flight?

Thanks so much Bruce- so we can line up in the vicinity of the exit deck? We don't have to go to a lounge or central spot and wait for an announcement? The flight leaves at 11:00. We should be OK if we can get off at 7:30 or soon thereafter.

Are there always taxis at the pier early morning?

Amsterdam is a port that has traffic, tides, etc.  on my last cruise that disembarked there, we got to the canal and had to wait for our turn to pass through the canal. We were 3 hours late arriving in Amsterdam.  Many people missed planes. To. E sure, never book a plane on the same day as you disembark. It’s too risky. 

• Like 1

I disembarked on July 10 around 7:10 hoping to make 11:00 United flight. Plenty of taxis waiting outside terminal. Traffic slowed approaching Schiphol and my anxiety increased. Inside the airport is chaos. Lots of standing in line without really being sure you were in the right one. Made it to the plane, but barely. Getting pulled aside for extra security check didn’t help. Apparently my salt and pepper hair was considered suspicious. Maybe I just had an angry look on my face as my checked bag had disappeared from there two weeks before.  Had reserved a refundable airport hotel just in case I missed the flight with plans to scour the baggage area if I stayed over.

Redtravel- that's interesting. We'll have to hope for the best and hope we get home the same day. I thought flying home the same day was safe if you allowed sufficient time. I never wanted to cut it close but the cancelation didn't allow us an alternative.

LOL quiet cruiser- thanks for your story! Did your suitcase ever turn up? Did you have to cruise without your luggage? Sounds awful! I have bad memories of Schiphol from years ago after terrorist attacks in Europe and heightened security measures- thought we would never get to the gate.

Are you going this summer?  That is a very risky schedule.  I was there in May with priority checkin and it took me 2.5 hours to clear security and checkin and I was staying at the airport hotel.  I think you should really consider other options. Anyway check the Schiphol website and they have suggested arrival times. 

3 hours ago, flowery said:

Thanks so much Bruce- so we can line up in the vicinity of the exit deck? We don't have to go to a lounge or central spot and wait for an announcement? The flight leaves at 11:00. We should be OK if we can get off at 7:30 or soon thereafter.

Are there always taxis at the pier early morning?

Yes, just get as close as you can to the exit area. There will be many others there.

Can't answer on the taxis...others have. But I have never, in over 20 cruises, not seen taxis at a port when ships are in. It is where the money is. But in the current world, you are going to have a stressful day with that flight schedule.

Our flights are booked thru HAL, & they won't allow any same day flights any earlier than 11:30am.  So our United flight at 11 am won't work.  Anyways, we've been advised to stay over in Amsterdam an extra day or two & enjoy the city.  

We flew out of Amsterdam last month & got there 4 hours early & it was still a close call to make the gate in time...

Thanks everyone for your comments- really appreciate everyone's input. We are spending several days at the beginning in Amsterdam and hadn't planned additional time afterward but one way or the other it will work out. Hopefully we can get home the following day if it comes to it. Currently, there are no guarantees with air travel schedules it seems. I've been monitoring our flights for weeks and tried to build in additional connection time after the cancellation and forced additional stops.

We self disembarked the Rotterdam around 8.00am for our 12.30 flight, lots of cabs waiting outside the terminal. Schiphol was busy but we went through check-in and security in 90 minutes or so and sitting at our gate by 10.30. Our cab driver told us that the line ups were outside the building at 6.00am so I guess it can be hit and miss. 

9 hours ago, flowery said:

…I have bad memories of Schiphol from years ago after terrorist attacks in Europe and heightened security measures- thought we would never get to the gate.

@flowery

I, too, had that experience, as well back around 2005. So much so that I refused to fly through AMS for years, opting for Rotterdam even with a LHR connection. A few years ago, I gave it another try and had okay experiences until 2019 when AA canceled our flight the morning of disembarkation. We were some of the first off the ship. We usually take the train to the airport, but on that trip took a taxi. It cost just under $85 USD.

As others mentioned, sometimes disembarkation is later than scheduled. One cruise, we were about 30 minutes late disembarking in AMS.

I wish you the best!

Glad to get some positive news Tiggerwudz! There's so much chaos these days at the airports- you need luck.

I would sign up for international biometric/Clear if it was available and could expedite things.

Syesmar-

I have a vague memory of buying some bottled water in Schiphol after we cleared security and passport control and then having it confiscated at the gate. Heathrow was also taking some extreme measures but Schiphol stands out as the worst- it took forever to get to our gate.

A United agent recently suggested that we take a train to Brussels instead of flying out of AMS!

5 minutes ago, flowery said:

…A United agent recently suggested that we take a train to Brussels instead of flying out of AMS!

We’ve done that before, as well! One trip we flew in to BRU and home from CDG after the cruise.  I do recall our train from Brussels to Paris was an hour or so late to arrive, thankfully it didn’t affect our flight as we weren’t traveling home that day.

All the Best!

Maybe you will get lucky.  Here is how, sign into your flight as early as allowed.  Some international flights can be signed into up to 48 hours early.  Immediately after signing in check the app and check it often.  You may be given an offer to postpone your flight.  I have been offered up to $1500 on all of my domestic flights this summer.  There is a bidding process, it will give you values to bid.  The deal is you get the $1500 flight credit and your rebooked flight at no additional cost to you.  $1500 should be enough to enjoy a day In Amsterdam.  It is a travel credit, I don’t know the terms of the credit.  You could check your airline website for details. 

18 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am flying out of Brussels after my cruise on the Rotterdam. Do you think I will have the same hassles there? 

I haven’t read any news stories but check their website for recommended times. I also noticed they offer a fast lane pass for very little money.  BTW, using Brussels is a good idea.  I may consider that next time I go

https://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passengers

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Maybe you will get lucky.  Here is how, sign into your flight as early as allowed.  Some international flights can be signed into up to 48 hours early.  Immediately after signing in check the app and check it often.  You may be given an offer to postpone your flight.  I have been offered up to $1500 on all of my domestic flights this summer.  There is a bidding process, it will give you values to bid.  The deal is you get the $1500 flight credit and your rebooked flight at no additional cost to you.  $1500 should be enough to enjoy a day In Amsterdam.  It is a travel credit, I don’t know the terms of the credit.  You could check your airline website for details. 

Just curious as to which airline you were flying...

17 minutes ago, Marken said:

Just curious as to which airline you were flying...

It happened on flights with Southwest and American.  Each and every time I was offered money but  because of family obligations I was unable to  accept an offer.  I did receive a $100 credit from Southwest for a delayed flight which was more than the flight cost 

.  I think you must have the apps to see the offers