oceania travel insurance

hmorrow

Our prior TA recommended Allianz, but our new TA recommends Travelex.  Haven't needed either of them, but for our last cruise Travelex did seem very comprehensive.

• Like 1

No we haven't used O's insurance, but I have a vague recollection that it was about 10% for a 10 day cruise; your TA or an O-rep can get a quote. My TA also recommends Allianz. We have a no-annual-fee credit union credit card that has a small amount of trip insurance (mainly got it for the rental car coverage). This year we have annual trip insurance since we wanted more than the credit card provided; the annual plan was only slightly more than the cost of single trip insurance for us. Other people have larger brand credit cards that for an annual fee provide quite a nice travel insurance perk along with other perks (I'll leave it to them to chime in since I can't remember the brands).

• Like 1

Check out Chase Saphire cards.  I no longer need to buy cancellation ins because it’s included ($10 pp— anything more I self insure). There is Sapphire Preferred @$95/yr, or Sapphire Reserve @$550/yr.  Reserve has many advantages if you travel much and pays for itself. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Plainfred said:

I mean $10k pp cancellation insurance.  Also delay, luggage, some medical (especially Reserve).

Just curious...Does Chase have a COVID (pandemic/epidemic) rider? Allianz added one in ~Fall 2021 which bumped up the cost a whopping $10. I don't think my credit card (Visa Signature) added one.

I do NOT recommend using Oceania's travel insurance. 

We booked a Caribbean cruise on Riviera this March at the very last minute and took the Oceania travel insurance  at 10% of total fare.  DH was taken ill on last sea day and spent 10 days in a Miami hospital before being stable enough to fly back to our home in LA.  Our regular health insurance reimbursed us in full within two weeks for the shipboard medical expenses.  In early April I billed the O travel insurance company for $4-5,000 of hotel, meal and Uber expenses while I sat vigil at DH's bedside. Several weeks later they emailed an acknowledgement of my claim.  Since then they have sent two further emails telling me my claim is being processed and they will contact me if they need any further documentation.  It is now late July and not one dime of reimbursement has been received.

To clarify, I was using one of O's preferred TA's and we were able to fly home on our original airline tickets with no extra fees.  Also, our concierge opened the insurance claim for me while we were still on board, a great help because I was very flustered.  The Oceania doctor and nurses were brilliant, took excellent care of my husband, and had an ambulance waiting at the dockside in Miami in the pre-dawn hours for our transfer to University of Miami Hospital.  The ship's handling of the incident was excellent, the insurance part leaves a lot to be desired.  I would NOT recommend O's insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might want to post also on the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/?

or just browse there as well.

After learning about them here on CC, we have always purchased our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker, and deal with policies from a variety of vetted insurers.

We've had several claims (unfortunately), including some large ones, and all have been paid without any nonsense.

CALL TIS.  The online summaries simply cannot capture all of the fine print, which can really matter.  Also, they'll ask you some questions, too, to try to help find the policy that best matches your specific needs.

Call soon.  For some (not all!) policies, there are deadlines to start the coverage, so the sooner you get started, the more choices you might have.

GC

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

You might want to post also on the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/?

or just browse there as well.

After learning about them here on CC, we have always purchased our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker, and deal with policies from a variety of vetted insurers.

We've had several claims (unfortunately), including some large ones, and all have been paid without any nonsense.

CALL TIS.  The online summaries simply cannot capture all of the fine print, which can really matter.  Also, they'll ask you some questions, too, to try to help find the policy that best matches your specific needs.

Call soon.  For some (not all!) policies, there are deadlines to start the coverage, so the sooner you get started, the more choices you might have.

GC

Agree with Geezer.  Steve is excellent and will give you sound advice.  He represents many companies and is very upfront on the pluses and minuses of each of their policies.

Two important things to remember.  Bankruptcy protection is NOT covered with any cruise line policy.

And do not think a cruisline cannot go bankrupt.  Look at Crystal and the current issues with Carnival.

Check the terms of the policy and in what form do you get your refund for a cancellation due to sickness, injury or death.  Most cruiseline policies give you a credit.

• Like 1

When we were first cruising about 1000 years ago, the standard advice was NEVER to take the ship's insurance.  And we never have.

When Renaissance went bankrupt as a result of 9/11 people who used ship insurance had problems.  So did a friend of mine from the message board who'd used Discover to pay for his insurance policy and they would not honor it.  OTOH, we'd booked our insurance through AMEX and they even refunded our premium.  We were booked on a cruise that had final payment scheduled for about a week after the attack on the WTC which may have been a factor in what we got back ... Or perhaps because DH asked for it!

We usually go to an internet site that shows quotes from many companies once they have our personal info (ages, dates of travel, cost of the cruise and the like), and we pick a company as a result of what we see.  We've never had to really use the insurance, but you never know.  (Such as when the cruiseline goes bankrupt ...)   We have booked insurance with several different companies that gave us the coverage we wanted for a reasonable amount. 

Of course, those costs DO go up as YOU age ... What we paid when we were in our 50s is far different from what we pay NOW.

Mura

Both DH and I are very fortunate that our health insurance covers us outside of the US. We also have the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card which will cover our trips up to 10K pp for each trip.  Anything above that, we self insure as well. It works out.

Prior to having the Chase Card we did have one incident which taught us never again to use ship insurance.  We were actually to be on a HAL cruise. 

MY DH fell ill in Rome prior to the cruise and required surgery there.  We had to cancel our cruise.  While we were able to get 90% of our cruise fare back because we cancelled for any reason, we did not get any reimbursement for hotel expenses for the extra time we had to spend in Rome.

Fortunately for us the medical care in Italy, including the surgery, was free of cost because it was an emergency,.  DH spent four days in the hospital. We did not pay a penny.  

However, we did have to remain in Rome for an extra six days after he was released from the hospital until he was able to fly.  If we had insurance other than that provided by HAL, we would have been covered for those expenses.

Terri

• Like 1