Seriously thinking of booking a Windstar cruise, things to know?

LB_NJ

OBC. From your travel agent can be used for anything or cashed in.

However, OBC from Windstar is limited.  It is non refundable.  You cannot use it to pay for tips.  There are regularly guests who are unaware of this policy.  
It can be used to buy excursions, spa services, beverages, transfers, laundry, wine tasting, and store purchases.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:15 PM, Petoonya said:

I do not think  you will regret a Wind Spirit cruise. There is nothing like the feeling of watching those sails unfurl and feel the breeze (OK, sometimes even wind) on your skin. And the sunrises! Had a full moon too while we were onboard. As long as you are prepared for some quiet evenings and sea days you'll be content. We can always find a spot on Wind Spirit to enjoy the friendly atmosphere. You can enjoy the company of others or enjoy a book in a cozy spot on deck or in the lounge. Be prepared for evenings with a solo entertainer, maybe some dancing, or the infamous crew show. No elevator but we like the feel of a sailing ship and walking up a few decks to have breakfast/lunch. The show in Bora Bora with dinner is phenomenal as the dinner. Had a guest speaker who was enjoyable.

Mostly we like to snorkel and what could be better than Tahiti. The ships tours are fine but the independent tours are even better. I can recommend the ones we used and were most pleased with.

The dining this time was a disappointment but 3 years ago was incredible. I think WS just has to get up to snuff post COVID, and new chef comfortable. Because we were on the 18 day we were able to partake in Candles more than the two nights allowed and it was out of this world.

The best part is the CREW! So personable and wonderful. Everyone knows your name on the first day and treat you like a treasured guest. They all wore masks the whole cruise and I regret not seeing their kind faces.

Met so many nice people who were very comfortable to be around- the ambiance was just right.

Please ask any questions you'd like answered.

What independent snorkeling excursions can you recommend?

9 hours ago, JM0115 said:

What independent snorkeling excursions can you recommend?

Snorkeling is all we do when visiting Tahiti, and over the years and especially the last 5 years, have developed a favorite list- rather a "don't go snorkeling unless you use these guys!"

Number 1 not to be missed iis H2O Bora Bora- wow are they amazing. On our last cruise there were several in our group of friends who said they were the best snorkel trip they ever taken. One beauty of their tours is that they have only two boats that accommodate  either a group of four or six, so essentially your're getting a private tour for a price was actually less that those tours with 8-12 people. The result is that you have a captain who is dedicated to making sure that all have an opportunity to experience sea life. For instance in years past in the manta ray "nursery" we used to see 2-3 mantas- with H2O we saw 20-30. With a small group you have the time to do so much more. We went out 2x with them on our 18 day cruise in  2022 August. Do all day including the motu luncheon for a real treat.

Bora Bora's lagoon is my favorite spot in Tahiti

Moorea- treat yourself to a again to a private tour 2-4 people- Mermaid Private Boat Tours . More spendy than most, but especially worth it. Warm people who are dedicated to your snorkeling  experience. Also highly recommend are Alex Tours, and  Moorea Adventure Tours (marine biologist onboard). You can book the last two on Viator.

Fakarava- can't miss Fakarava Explorer, atolissant@hotmail.com   He's been doing it for 20 years and now his son has taken over. Fakarava is a pristine paradise and what a day we've always had. O2 Fakarava is a half day intense adventure, number 2 choice.

Tahaa/Raiatea is the place to go for jet ski snorkeling. Are Tours also quite  good. Coral Gardens- spectacular- forget the ship's tours.

Huahine- I'd choose Huahine Dream Tours.

Rangiroa- a few good ones  but we like The Six Passengers. Our last cruise people really seemed to like the ship's tour. The all do the same thing- the Aquarium (gorgeous) and/or drift snortkeling the Tiputa Pass.

Can you tell I love snorkeling, French Polynesia and Windstar? Sorry to be so wordy- been addicted for a long time, and love chatting about it.

Have a fantastic cruise!

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Snorkeling is all we do when visiting Tahiti, and over the years and especially the last 5 years, have developed a favorite list- rather a "don't go snorkeling unless you use these guys!"

Number 1 not to be missed iis H2O Bora Bora- wow are they amazing. On our last cruise there were several in our group of friends who said they were the best snorkel trip they ever taken. One beauty of their tours is that they have only two boats that accommodate  either a group of four or six, so essentially your're getting a private tour for a price was actually less that those tours with 8-12 people. The result is that you have a captain who is dedicated to making sure that all have an opportunity to experience sea life. For instance in years past in the manta ray "nursery" we used to see 2-3 mantas- with H2O we saw 20-30. With a small group you have the time to do so much more. We went out 2x with them on our 18 day cruise in  2022 August. Do all day including the motu luncheon for a real treat.

Moorea- treat yourself to a again to a private tour 2-4 people- Mermaid Private Boat Tours . More spendy than most, but especially worth it. Warm people who are dedicated to your snorkeling  experience. Also highly recommend are Alex Tours, and  Moorea Adventure Tours (marine biologist onboard). You can book the last two on Viator.

Fakarava- can't miss Fakarava Explorer, atolissant@hotmail.com   He's been doing it for 20 years and now his son has taken over. Fakarava is a pristine paradise and what a day we've always had. O2 Fakarava is a half day intense adventure, number 2 choice.

Tahaa/Raiatea is the place to go for jet ski snorkeling. Are Tours also quite  good. Coral Gardens- spectacular- forget the ship's tours.

Rangiroa- a few good ones  but we like The Six Passengers. Our last cruise people really seemed to like the ship's tour. The all do the same thing- the Aquarium (gorgeous) and/or drift snortkeling the Tiputa Pass.

Can you tell I love snorkeling, French Polynesia and Windstar? Sorry to be so wordy- been addicted for a long time, and love chatting about it.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Thank you so much! We are very excited about our upcoming cruise. We decided to do it back to back since it’s so far away.

On 2/2/2023 at 11:27 AM, chubbypiggy said:

On 2/6/2023 at 10:31 PM, Petoonya said:

Have a fantastic cruise!

Petoonya, we have booked H20 in BB already for next month.  We booked both mornings on both days in BB.  Would you keep this (2 different days) or book the full day once?  DH really only wants to do half days and we were also hoping this way if weather is bad one day we’ll have the other day.  Thanks, haven’t been back to FP in 19 years and first time WS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisC101 said:

Petoonya, we have booked H20 in BB already for next month.  We booked both mornings on both days in BB.  Would you keep this (2 different days) or book the full day once?  DH really only wants to do half days and we were also hoping this way if weather is bad one day we’ll have the other day.  Thanks, haven’t been back to FP in 19 years and first time WS.

A suggestion? On our last trip there last August we booked H2O BB twice, but we did an 18 day, H2O BB was 10 days apart. Was great, as with the weather it did turn out to be two different experiences. Can’t fully explain why but I don’t think I would have booked 2 consecutive nights- the only variation you might have are 2 different captains. I’d go with a different operator and that would be Tohora Bora Bora. Again small boat 6-8 passengers with the captain Simon,  who is a character and passionate about the lagoon. We’ve been out with him 3 times and it’s always a treat, and like H2O- kindness, thoughtful care  of the lagoon, and lots of fish. You can read about Tohora Bora Bora (and H2O BB) and make reservations too on TripAdvisor. But he books up fast too, so do it soon. 🙂

I’m nuts about the lagoon in BB- think it’s heads above even Moorea. If you love snorkeling don’t waste a day and just end up using one of the two days you have booked with H2O. I’d take my chances, and book both H2O and Tohora and live like kahunas!

One last thing if you or anyone else is interested. I have a thing about bringing my own snorkeling equipment and we always have. This way I know the mask fits perfectly. But I lost my mask on a trip out last summer and used one of the ships. It was perfectly fine, and I’m sure the fins and snorkel would be too. The WS sports deck crew are meticulous and I’d have no problem using a set if I minded packing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks much.  We, too, bring our own snorkel masks as we’ve been all over the South Pacific (next year back to Fiji where we got married!).  So we will just need the WS fins.

So do you think we should do a full day with H20 on the first day?  She says they leave at 8:45, ship says it won’t arrive until 9:00 but Aimee from H20 assures me they’re always in early and we’ll make it.  
I have also read people say the second day WS will allow you to head to their motu for 1/2 day (like 10-3) and one cruiser said there were only 8 of them that did this and it was great.  Is there any snorkeling there or just beach chill?  Have to make final decisions in 2 weeks, would love more input.  We leave in 4 weeks.  Thanks.

Also have you done the kayak on Raiatea?  DH wants to do as a unique experience.  We have done the drift snorkel once already so can skip that though very happy we did once before.  
would love any other tips!  I know there is another person besides me who desperately needs info but the boards seem quiet.  I have been trying to just gather info from the Paul Gauguin board since those seem more active but would rather get info direct from WS experts.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 9:15 PM, Petoonya said:

A suggestion? On our last trip there last August we booked H2O BB twice, but we did an 18 day, H2O BB was 10 days apart. Was great, as with the weather it did turn out to be two different experiences. Can’t fully explain why but I don’t think I would have booked 2 consecutive nights- the only variation you might have are 2 different captains. I’d go with a different operator and that would be Tohora Bora Bora. Again small boat 6-8 passengers with the captain Simon,  who is a character and passionate about the lagoon. We’ve been out with him 3 times and it’s always a treat, and like H2O- kindness, thoughtful care  of the lagoon, and lots of fish. You can read about Tohora Bora Bora (and H2O BB) and make reservations too on TripAdvisor. But he books up fast too, so do it soon. 🙂

I’m nuts about the lagoon in BB- think it’s heads above even Moorea. If you love snorkeling don’t waste a day and just end up using one of the two days you have booked with H2O. I’d take my chances, and book both H2O and Tohora and live like kahunas!

One last thing if you or anyone else is interested. I have a thing about bringing my own snorkeling equipment and we always have. This way I know the mask fits perfectly. But I lost my mask on a trip out last summer and used one of the ships. It was perfectly fine, and I’m sure the fins and snorkel would be too. The WS sports deck crew are meticulous and I’d have no problem using a set if I minded packing.

Are you able to message me?  I saw that you live in OR and have been to FP many times.  I would love some advice.  Going on a 10 day cruise and then spending 4 nights in owb on Moorea and 2 nights in Tahiti.  If you can't message, tammydoublej@comcast.net  I was born and raised in Portland and recently moved to WA.  Thanks

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 10:31 PM, Petoonya said:

Have a fantastic cruise!

Hi Petoonya, we chatted about snorkeling a long while ago.........I am bringing my Mom to Newport on Friday for the week.........I was hoping we could meet!  Please email me at bntcarteratyahoodotcom    I hope we can get together!~  Teri

On 2/7/2023 at 1:31 AM, Petoonya said:

Number 1 not to be missed iis H2O Bora Bora- wow are they amazing.  Do all day including the motu luncheon for a real treat.

Hello All!

I am enjoying all of the advice here in this section regarding WindStar and Tahiti.

Our first voyage is quickly approaching and we are looking to book a full day snorkel with motu lunch.

As I look over the booking form I am trying to figure out "Pick up Location" since it says we are at Anchor on Bora Bora days. How will we get to H2O Bora Bora or rather, how will they get to us? I have sent an email asking them the same question, but thought I'd post it here for maybe a quicker response.

Thank you in advance to all who are sharing your experiences.

1 hour ago, armyfam said:

Hello All!

I am enjoying all of the advice here in this section regarding WindStar and Tahiti.

Our first voyage is quickly approaching and we are looking to book a full day snorkel with motu lunch.

As I look over the booking form I am trying to figure out "Pick up Location" since it says we are at Anchor on Bora Bora days. How will we get to H2O Bora Bora or rather, how will they get to us? I have sent an email asking them the same question, but thought I'd post it here for maybe a quicker response.

Thank you in advance to all who are sharing your experiences.

@armyfam - I have booked a half day with BoraBoraH20 and they meet us at Vaitape Dock which is the dock we will tender in to.  When are you going - we booked for September 15th.

Hi @Piaa! Thank you for the information.

We are booked for the following month. Too bad…..It is always fun meeting other cc’ers when onboard.

Do you know which night the BBQ will be held? (I am guessing the first night since we are due to leave the second night.)

44 minutes ago, armyfam said:

Hi @Piaa! Thank you for the information.

We are booked for the following month. Too bad…..It is always fun meeting other cc’ers when onboard.

Do you know which night the BBQ will be held? (I am guessing the first night since we are due to leave the second night.)

I don't unfortunately but I have read the 2nd night ???