Regent Botched Airline Flight Home & Will Not Address Its Mistake

We returned from a cruise on the Explorer from Trieste to Barcelona, April-May 2022. Regent booked all our flights but forgot to inform us that our flight home was cancelled days before our departure. NOTE: British Airways contacted Regent, not us, about the cancellation days before. Regent not only failed to tell us but also made no arrangements for a new flight. In fact, they scheduled us on a bus to the airport so that we could catch the cancelled flight. A few other passengers were in the same situation: stuck in Barcelona without a flight home.

After a nightmarish scenario, British Airways raced us through miles of the serpentine airport to catch another flight. We were all out of breath and drenched in sweat. Although we were originally booked in business class, we were separated and had to sit at the back of a crowded plane among strangers during a pandemic. Regent, so far, has done nothing to mitigate its big mistake after 3 months. They are passive resistant and won’t reply to our numerous queries. We paid for business class and got the cattle car without a refund. Regent likes to call itself the most luxurious cruise line on earth.  I cannot recommend such an unprofessional, unorganized company. BEWARE!

Edited by verenkoffj

Regent probably didn't know your flight was cancelled as the airlines are a complete mess. They didn't make a big mistake, the airline did. However, Regent should owe you the difference between Business and whatever class your returned home in. Begin chargeback proceedings on that basis if they refuse to reply to you. Did you book through a TA? If so, your TA has a Rep at Regent - some of whom are good and some of whom are not. Try that route as well.

Yes, Regent did know because we met other cruisers on the same flight back home who were notified by Regent that the other flight was cancelled. We did contact the TA, who contacted Regent. We also contacted Regent Service Dept, who said they would get back to us. They never did. Thanks for the advice, though.

Just now, verenkoffj said:

Yes, Regent did know because we met other cruisers on the same flight back home who were notified by Regent that the other flight was cancelled. We did contact the TA, who contacted Regent. We also contacted Regent Service Dept, who said they would get back to us. They never did. Thanks for the advice, though.

If Regent contacted some, I will assume they tried to contact all. This isn't personal.

If the Regent Rep working with your TA dropped the ball, charge it back with your credit card. That will certainly get their attention.

So sorry to learn of your flight issue...

For future air travel I suggest using a flight tracking app on your smart phone.  Enter your flight info and open the app on a regular basis.  If a flight can no longer be found you'll know to check the airline's website to determine the reason.  It may be as simple as a change of flight number in which case you'll just need to update the app...or a cancellation. An app will also show changes of flight times so there will be no surprises.

I use the free FlightView app.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of the problems with your flight. Very annoying & stressful.

Some questions:

1. When BA advised Regent, did Regent advise your TA?

2. When BA cancelled the original flight which alternative flight did they book you onto? Same day or next day?

3. Did BA have your contact details? email and/or cell phone?

4. Did you try to check-in on-line 24 hours before the flight?

1 hour ago, verenkoffj said:

In fact, they scheduled us on a bus to the airport so that we could catch the cancelled flight.

Presumably you put the original flight number and time on the disembarkation form supplied by Destination Services.

Understandable since you did not know of the change, but Destination Services would not have checked that the details you entered were incorrect. They would have simply scheduled you onto the bus that suited the flight details that you had given them.

Since you were downgraded from Business class then BA should reimburse Regent who in turn should reimburse you.

I cannot understand why Regent is not responding to your legitimate queries about this matter. 

Edited by flossie009

My husband just informed me that we booked and finalized our cruise arrangements directly with Regent. We didn't have/use a travel agent. We did report the issue to the Regent sales representative we worked with who promised to take action, but didn't. We had all our contact information filed with British airlines but received no communications from them. When we make travel arrangements ourselves, we do use an app on our phone to track our flights. We had confirmed our seats and other information prior to the cruise.  Regrettably, we trusted Regent to take care of us as they had done such good job up until then. We understand that things can and do happen with flights. Our major complaint with Regent is that after many attempts to have them explain to us what happened and demonstrate some concern, they completely ignored our written communications.  Their travel department asked for our seat numbers and flight information after we returned home.  We provided that information more than a month ago and have yet to receive any acknowledgement or explanation for what happened.

When BA advised Regent, did Regent advise your TA? We had no knowledge of the cancellation.

2. When BA cancelled the original flight which alternative flight did they book you onto? Same day or next day? We, and other cruisers, were not booked on any other flight.

3. Did BA have your contact details? email and/or cell phone? Yes

4. Did you try to check-in on-line 24 hours before the flight? We tried, but it was out of order all day.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, verenkoffj said:

When BA advised Regent, did Regent advise your TA? We had no knowledge of the cancellation.

2. When BA cancelled the original flight which alternative flight did they book you onto? Same day or next day? We, and other cruisers, were not booked on any other flight.

3. Did BA have your contact details? email and/or cell phone? Yes

4. Did you try to check-in on-line 24 hours before the flight? We tried, but it was out of order all day.

If you use the app for the airlines, that would show the cancelled flight and give you an option to re-book. Maybe look into getting that in the future?

I would call Regent back and escalate to a manager. Get their name, email and tell them you would like an update within 2 business days. Also, you can charge back on your credit card and Regent will be forced to respond.

You do need to go higher up the food chain than just whoever answers the phone first….ask fir department head if you don’t get a satisfactory answer ask for their boss and se d a follow up letter to who you talk to. A paper trail is needed.

Also as others have said charge back on your credit card. Something like that  happened to us, did a charge back, cc said they couldn’t do a partial amount but charged back the whole amount. The person at the cc said that would get their attention and it did! We settled so after the charge back hit.

Good Luck

I'm a curious about all the questioning that is being directed at the OP. i.e., "Did they have a flight APP loaded on their phone". "Did they call their TA".  "Did they double-check their return flight reservations online before the flight", etc., etc.  Why isn't/wasn't this all Regent's responsibility....since they were using "Regent Air"?  Why is the OP seemingly getting the "Third Degree"?

If I was using Regent Air, and I was approaching the last day of the cruise, and I didn't "hear anything" from Regent to the contrary....I would also assume that everything was "Okay".  Wouldn't the rest of us also reasonably assume that too, under the same circumstances?

Although perhaps "prudence" might have called for these additional measures on the part of the individual passenger, I think the bottom line (and the point that the OP is valiantly trying to make, throughout all the questioning ) is that "they - as Regent customers and using "Regent Air", really shouldn't have to be doing "any of that stuff", at all!  Right?   This is supposed to be a "luxury experience" from start to finish.  And when you're paying for "Regent Air", that should also include the flight home...no matter what the T&C's say.  That's what we're all paying for.

And although we all know that "mistakes happen", I don't understand why Regent has not reached out to them, after all the intervening time and emails that the OP has submitted.  Why can't Regent simply get back to them, admit the mistake  (not for the flight cancellations itself, but for the lack of communications and on-the-spot re-booking support in Business Class on an alternative flight) and make things "Right"?

And yes, I'm aware of all the "fine print T&C's" about "outside vendors".  But presumably, Regent also is striving for "return business" and "happy customers", as one of their operating principles.  I wouldn't necessarily blame the OP if they never booked another Regent Cruise, based upon the way they feel they have been treated/ignored after the fact.  And I'm sure Regent would prefer there not to be a post like this on CC.  We know they read it!

And now, the OP is left with the additional chore and inconvenience of applying on their own for a "charge back" on their card, for some completely undetermined amount of compensation/refund, which Regent (so far) hasn't even "owned up to", or admitted that they might "owe" the customer...if not legally, than certainly ethically?  More wasted time, and more bad feelings.

Why are we seemingly shifting all the "blame" onto the OP (for them "failing" to take their own preventative actions in advance)?  If I understand the OP's situation...the flight was not cancelled at the last minute or on the day of departure.  The flight was cancelled before the departure day and Regent took no action to advise their customers, book them on alternative (Business Class) flights, or put their minds at ease.  Again, "a luxury experience"?  Not.  May the "salvos" begin.  😉

• Like 14

No blame to the OP but he is not the only person reading this. Others can learn from the range of possible experiences and take steps to ensure that if problems do occur, they are minimized.

I recently had a flight home cancelled - my app alerted me and gave me options. Regent would have been useless in this situation as, even if I could get them on the phone, it would be far more efficient to simply re-book at the airport.

Life isn't perfect - stuff happens. The information in this thread helps people to identify what went wrong (as best we can getting one side) and make suggestions to solve this issue and to help others prevent similar situations from impacting them. As I said very early on...it isn't personal.

• Like 1

I have had flights with reservations which I made myself cancelled and have not been notified by the airline.  I have had to take an involuntary downgrade many times.  This stuff happens. 

Fortunately or not, I have now developed OCD regarding airline reservations.  I check and recheck reservations, usually  about once a month but more often as the flight nears.  You can't let other people take responsibility for this. which I learned through bad experience. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Don’t you check your flights? Check in 24 hours before? 

I've never used "Regent Air".   Have always arranged/paid for my own flights.  So...  Do you actually have to "check in" for those Regen-arranged flights 24 hours beforehand?  Particularly for the "return home" flights (like what the OP's was) when you might still be at sea the day/night before disembarking (and during the 24-hour-before-the-flight-window),  and just a few hours before actually boarding the flight to head home?

I'm with Rachel on this one,  I also have OCD.  I check repeatly to make sure nothing has gone wonky with my flights.  The only person that really cares about you getting home - is you :-).   I don't care who booked them and I also have the apps on my phone for any airline I'm flying on.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

I've never used "Regent Air".   Have always arranged/paid for my own flights.  So...  Do you actually have to "check in" for those Regen-arranged flights 24 hours beforehand?  Particularly for the "return home" flights (like what the OP's was) when you might still be at sea the day/night before disembarking (and during the 24-hour-before-the-flight-window),  and just a few hours before actually boarding the flight to head home?

Yes you have to check in, check in your luggage and get your boarding pass. 

I'm with Ping Pong's post # 12, above. While we certainly can all be educated about checking such matters, it appears that Regent dropped the ball here. So, why have they not made it right for the original poster, including an apology?   

• Like 1

I'm the original poster. To answer your questions:

1. We are techies and do check our flight status, but British Airways system was having technical problems the day before our flight.

2. We got an envelope with flight info the night before our flight from Regent, directing us to the flight that we found out later was cancelled at least a week before. Regent put us on a time designated bus to get us to the airport in time for the cancelled flight. 

3. Other cruise passengers were booked on the same cancelled flight, but were notified by Regent days before that the flight had been cancelled. They were rebooked by Regent Air on another flight.

4. Regent dropped the ball with 3 couples, who were not notified prior to arriving at the airport. We were one of those 3 couples.

5. Regent currently has not explained to us what went wrong, has offered us no repayment for not flying business class, and has offered us no apology. In fact, they have gone mute. This is SO UNPROFESSIONAL.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yes you have to check in, check in your luggage and get your boarding pass. 

Actually, I was talking about "checking in on line, 24-hours in advance.  NOT checking in at the ticket counter and giving them your suitcases. Yes, I obviously know you have to do that (the latter).  But if you have guaranteed reservations and a seat assigned with any airline...there is actually no technical reason or even a requirement for you to "check-in online" and get a digital/paper boarding pass in advance, before you actually arrive at the airport!  And THAT was what my comment/question specifically related to.

If you are flying on Regent's provided air transportation, and If you have a reservation number/confirmation and a seat assignment that Regent provided you....I don't see why there is any "rush" or need to use your own  computer/laptop/cellphone, etc. while still onboard the ship and nearing the time you are taken to the airport (by Regent), to "make sure" the flight has not been cancelled.  I think that would be "Regent's job" to let their customer know if "Regent's Booked Flight" (which they arranged for on behalf of their customer and collected extra funds for that service) had been changed or cancelled.  Isn't that why we're paying them/Regent for that service...."to take all the worry out your/our travel experience"??

Yes, I know in this "OCD world" that we live in today....that a lot of people do that (obsessively check their electronic devices for virtually everything)....but technically, there is no reason that someone should have to do that, and particularly in the case where "Regent" was "taking care of the flight arrangements" for the customer.  This "checking in early thing" has only really come into vogue in the past 10-15 years among the majority of the population, and it was the airlines themselves who actually initiated/developed it... in hopes of cutting down on the employee/customer interface that was needed at the airport.  It was mainly developed for the convenience of the airlines...not the passengers.  And a "digital check-in from home" before arriving at the airport is NOT a requirement.

There is nothing that "requires" me to "check in early" for a flight (using on line devices before I get to the airport), i.e., "early", as long as I have a confirmation number and a specific seat assignment (as long as I'm not flying Southwest).  And I believe that this was the principle that the OP was assuming and operating under, after having booked a cruise and having paid for Regent to book flights for them.  Regent had made those flight arrangements (and collected the money for the tickets) for them and the OP was operating on the fair assumption that Regent would let them know immediately if something had "changed" for any of those those flights.  That was not/is not an unreasonable assumption.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

But if you have guaranteed reservations and a seat assigned with any airline...there is actually no technical reason or even a requirement for you to "check-in online" and get a digital/paper boarding pass in advance, before you actually arrive at the airport!  And THAT was what my comment/question specifically related to.

Though I agree there is no legal requirement to check flights and check in early, in the current climate with multiple flight cancellations daily I think it is a wise idea to check the day before a flight and even the morning of. BA especially have had many cancellations so for my own peace of mind I would check.

Even pre-Covid I have had late changes to planes and once ended up in Economy instead of Business class. Thankfully it was only a 4.5 hour flight. I have also had cancellations/changes though thankfully not often.

That isn't to say Regent have dropped the ball in responding to and dealing with the Author's issues and yes they should get a refund. However in today's chaotic travel world " never assume anything"  would be my mantra.

• Like 3