favorite excursion in Cozumel?

C cruise

We have been going to Cozumel for 20 yrs, land-based trips as well as cruises.... so we have done about everything!  Scuba diving in Cozumel is some of the best in the world, no kidding, so that would be #1.  But after that, we would say that we have pretty much enjoyed everything.  Cozumel is like a second home to us.  Any type of water sports are what we would recommend... hubby and son both loved the Fury Catamaran snorkel/beach excursion, but we also really loved our cave excursion over to the Mainland (don't think any cruises do that one anymore).  Hubby and I did the Original Bar Hop last visit, he loved it but I was bored (not a drinker).  Our favorite restaurant downtown is La Choza, ask a taxi driver to take you there, it is not in the main tourist area.  

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:28 PM, shellunderwater said:

Cozumel Bar Hop!  8 time hopper here. 

Going to give it shopt (or four) next month for the first time!  Had my kids along on previous cruises so couldn't do it but now it's on!

To date my favorite is Paradise Beach

On 8/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, janetz said:

Hands down the best

Trikes-Cozumel

E7DEB8FC-D3A2-479B-878D-B7BB1559E08C.png

Hi, this sounds like so much fun.  Did they take you to a lunch spot or was it mainly stopping at bars?  Their website does not give details on what type of tours they provide.  Also, is it a per person charge or by trike rented?

Thank you.

The ONLY thing we ever do in Cozumel is the Bar Hop and WE LOVE IT!  We just booked a cruise to go to Cozumel and back just to hop.  Don't let the name fool you, you don't have to be a drinker.  I am not a drinker, you get 1 shot at each stop and the rest is up to you if you want to purchase anything else.  We get food at each stop too, just one small thing. Like chips and guac, or coconut shrimp.  The peanut butter tequila shot is the best!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, mitsugirly said:

We've done almost all of the beaches from laid back to ones with water toys. We've done a tour around the island and over to the Wild Side and Punta Sur ecological park.

Click here for my blog...you can take a look around and see what might interest you. 

You mentioned a tour around the island - and I looked at your blog to see if I could get any info on that and I missed it if it's there 🙂  Was that an organized tour or did you go on your own?  We are going back to Cozumel in December for the ??? time and this is the first time we've gone by ourselves.  At 77/74 we have spent all the time at Nachi Cocum we need - although it was always fun.  But we would like a land tour - we don't really need any more beach time or water activity - we'd just like to see the island - that's why your comment caught my eye 🙂  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

You mentioned a tour around the island - and I looked at your blog to see if I could get any info on that and I missed it if it's there 🙂  Was that an organized tour or did you go on your own?  We are going back to Cozumel in December for the ??? time and this is the first time we've gone by ourselves.  At 77/74 we have spent all the time at Nachi Cocum we need - although it was always fun.  But we would like a land tour - we don't really need any more beach time or water activity - we'd just like to see the island - that's why your comment caught my eye 🙂  Thanks.

I believe @mitsugirly has rented a jeep with a tour guide previously and has driven round the island independently in a personal rent car on a recent land visit. In her blog that would be “The Wild Side”. 

We have been round the island many times and would personally recommend you hire a private driver especially for your first visit so that you can go at your own pace and have the itinerary adapted for your own needs and interests. We have used ToursPlaza many times. If you already know where you want to go you can negotiate a driver at the port for a set number of hours at a reduced rate.

If you want more budget friendly option for two people and social interaction I also recommend the Bar Hop. This tour is well organized but you have to add on taxi into town to meet the Hop and of course you are on a set itinerary and schedule. You will be dropped off at the port at the end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

If you want more budget friendly option for two people and social interaction I also recommend the Bar Hop. This tour is well organized but you have to add on taxi into town to meet the Hop and of course you are on a set itinerary and schedule. You will be dropped off at the port at the end.

Thank you!  We had done the bar hop before and remember enjoying it - it will be our fallback option 🙂

26 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Thank you!  We had done the bar hop before and remember enjoying it - it will be our fallback option 🙂

OK well then you have some experience of the east side.

If you have a private  driver you can stop on request at different locations and photo stops - blow holes if they are blowing, El Mirador some other beach bars than the bar hop stops (Mezcalitos, Chen Rio, San Martin) a drive through town, perhaps some churches, local lunch, Mayan Bees, chocolate, tequila or stop at somewhere else south of the port for a while,( Palancar, Sky Reef). Eduardo usually does the bookings for ToursPlaza and would be happy to tailor a day for you. Gerry is the owner and who we usually have  but he does have some other English speaking guides.

Punta Sur is nice but has an extra entrance fee and is a long drive down to the beach club.

In our early days of going to Cozumel we would use the driver to create our own “hop”sampling places to decide where  to spend the day at a later date.

• Thanks 2

On 8/29/2022 at 10:27 AM, mickeychicky said:

Hop 5 coming up next month!

We have done the hop years ago.  Looking at website today I really only see one that looks viable - the original...is that the one everyone is talking about?

9 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We have done the hop years ago.  Looking at website today I really only see one that looks viable - the original...is that the one everyone is talking about?

This is the real one.  https://cozumelbarhop.com/

Just a nice time away from the ship and all the people chasing you around wanting you to purchase something.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, bjkTX said:

Yes we did the tour and had a driver and we could customize it any way we wanted. We let the driver just show us around and take us places (because we had never been over to the "Wild Side" before. She knew the stops, would ask us if we wanted to stop and for how long. Then we were taken over to Punta Sur to explore and stay at a beach for lunch. After that tour, we realized just how easy it is to navigate Cozumel so when we went for a land vacation, we of course did it on our own with the rental car and explored even more. It was awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite excursion in Cozumel has to be renting bikes and going off on our own with our snorkel gear.  Or taking a small boat tour to do the palancar and Columbia reefs.  Favorite beach bar is definitely Sky reef for the overall experience of food, drink and snorkeling.  We are renting bikes yet again in 3 weeks and will try some new spots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 4:42 AM, jean87510 said:

My favorite excursion in Cozumel has to be renting bikes and going off on our own with our snorkel gear.  Or taking a small boat tour to do the palancar and Columbia reefs.  Favorite beach bar is definitely Sky reef for the overall experience of food, drink and snorkeling.  We are renting bikes yet again in 3 weeks and will try some new spots.

Hi!  For a bike ride, do you have any recommendations of a route or great places to stop and see or snorkel?   Thanks for any advice!  🙂   

Edited by kamilli

50 minutes ago, kamilli said:

Hi!  For a bike ride, do you have any recommendations of a route or great places to stop and see or snorkel?   Thanks for any advice!  🙂   

Here is a review with map of cycle route and snorkeling.

https://twowheeledtourists.com/cycling-in-cozumel/

the town area is busy and needs extreme caution because of one way streets. Once out on Melgar there is a dedicated path north and south. There is another rental place nearer to International/Puerta Maya.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kamilli said:

yes.  It's not difficult.  We've done this before from hotel and cruise.  I'll be doing it on Thursday so I'll post pictures.  Last time we went to Sky Reef and snorkeled.  Another time we went to Money bar and snorkeled.  We went around the island loop March 2021 on a land vacation.  We rode to Punta Sur on another land vacation.  We are going to wait to see what the weather is that day.  We also are renting electric bikes which we own at home and are very familiar with.  I'll share everything this week.

• Like 1

We have done the cooking class at Playa Mia a couple of times and enjoyed.  Been to a lot of the beaches, Nachi, Sanchos, Paradise, Chankanaab, snorkeled Planacar, swam with dolphins at Dolphinaris twice, shopped, gone over to the mainland for excursions through the ship (which we don’t like to do anymore).  There are 100 or more choices so you’ll have to just keep coming back to try them all.  We’ve been to El Cid several times and is now our go to…..quiet day, walkable, food so so, drinks good, snorkel the plane, love the pool when it’s hot and the hot tub to finish the day. It really all depends on what kind of day you’re looking for and how much you want to spend.  

I haven’t tried the bar hop yet….

On 10/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, kamilli said:

Hi just wanted to update that we rented bikes from Beach bum electric bikes on 10/27 which was about 0.4 miles from international pier.  We were going to ride around island but my ankle injury from a few weeks ago started acting up so we decided to ride to Playa Corona and then to the Money bar for snorkeling.  My husband has a giant water bag for his free diving fins and the shop gave us bungee cords to secure bag.  I own an Aventon electric bike at home and have ridden the Pedego bikes before so I was pretty comfortable.  Helmets and locks are supplied.  We spent 6 hours doing about 20 miles total according to my garmin watch as we rode around the back roads for a while along the coast then turned around.  As with any city, or populated area, one needs to be careful with traffic.  It's true in Rome, Barcelona, Naples, San Juan, New York, Philadelphia...and it's true in Cozumel.  The snorkeling by far from land is the best as always from Money Bar.  It's also pretty good at Playa Corona.  We just grabbed drinks at both spots as Playa will let yoy snorkel there for $10/pp if you buy food.  Both places surprisingly with 5 ships in were not crowded at all.  

Riding bikes is really fun in Cozumel.  There is a designated bike lane in the city.  Yes its annoying especially around the cruise ports and the scooters are a PIA but I really enjoy it   There are minimarts XOXO about to grab a water.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2022 at 4:49 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

We have done the cooking class at Playa Mia a couple of times and enjoyed.  Been to a lot of the beaches, Nachi, Sanchos, Paradise, Chankanaab, snorkeled Planacar, swam with dolphins at Dolphinaris twice, shopped, gone over to the mainland for excursions through the ship (which we don’t like to do anymore).  There are 100 or more choices so you’ll have to just keep coming back to try them all.  We’ve been to El Cid several times and is now our go to…..quiet day, walkable, food so so, drinks good, snorkel the plane, love the pool when it’s hot and the hot tub to finish the day. It really all depends on what kind of day you’re looking for and how much you want to spend.  

I haven’t tried the bar hop yet….

Hi!  Nachi has been our go-to for years, but when in Cozumel in the Spring - may try El Cid.

LOVE that it's walkable from the International (Royal Caribbean) pier.  How is the pool?  We prefer a pool over a beach.  Also - does it get really crowded?  I know Nachi has a limit, which is awesome.

Thanks so much!