With Prima launch, MDR menu stays the same...

pokerguy90

We are not expected to board any Norwegian ship until next year, so I will be watching for menu/food reviews until then.  My top concern is how much stock Norwegian puts in their variety of mix and match pasta options since I have almost given up all pasta.  

So what else ya got?

NCL can keep the same menu in the MDR every day if they want.  Nothing will make me want to go to their 'specialty restaurants' which, in my opinion, are rip offs just to get your money. Oh wait.....one of the perks on our Prima cruise next summer is a 'promo dining package'.  Guess I'll have to eat my words (ha, ha, see what I did there?  LOL!)

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:58 PM, SeaShark said:

Just how many people actually do eat in the exact same restaurant every night of the cruise?

Me.

I eat at the same restaurant every night for the cruise. When I go sail with my guests, we can split up for the entire day, and we know to meet at the MDR at 6 pm for dinner. This new menu concept doesn't work well for me. I have 2 freaking deposits. After they are used up, I will not book with NCL again. If it isn't a rotating menu, then the food has to be superb (like Viking good). And NCL just isn't, which wasn't an issue in the past since the trade offs were variety and cost.

IDK exactly how many people eat at the same places nightly on a cruise, but I do. It directly affects me. This is a shame since NCL is one of, if not my favorite, CL. Great musicals with a fun night life. But the same food every night would be a deal breaker. Food is a big part of cruising for me. It wouldn't surprise when this is rolled out fleet wide due to cost savings. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

NCL can keep the same menu in the MDR every day if they want.  Nothing will make me want to go to their 'specialty restaurants' which, in my opinion, are rip offs just to get your money. Oh wait.....one of the perks on our Prima cruise next summer is a 'promo dining package'.  Guess I'll have to eat my words (ha, ha, see what I did there?  LOL!)

Many years ago when NCL added more specialty restaurants, I couldn't believe how many people were so willing to spend more money!! The MDR food was very good and the separate Italian restaurant used to be complimentary. I felt that besides Teppanyaki, where you also get a show, why would you go to an extra cost restaurant? I felt like some people liked to boast that they went to specialty dining. I only go to specialty with my Platinum vouchers. The main reason being that I do not like to have a reservation that I need to keep track of. I enjoy the Freestyle aspect of NCL.

Back to the topic: The good thing about having a consistent MDR menu is that I do not have to worry about missing my favorite MDR items on the nights I go to specialty dining, or the nights we just feel like going to the buffet or O'Sheehan's/The Local.

1 minute ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I felt that besides Teppanyaki, where you also get a show, why would you go to an extra cost restaurant? I felt like some people liked to boast that they went to specialty dining.

Believe it or not, its for the same reason that people will pay to go out and eat at a restaurant at home instead of eating in their own dining room for "free".

Sometimes you want to try a different place, with different decor...something smaller and more intimate where you can get more attentive service from the staff.

One could also ask why people would eat at a buffet instead of in the restaurant with multi-course sit down dining, but there are plenty of people who opt for the buffet.

Different strokes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Me.

I eat at the same restaurant every night for the cruise. When I go sail with my guests, we can split up for the entire day, and we know to meet at the MDR at 6 pm for dinner. This new menu concept doesn't work well for me. I have 2 freaking deposits. After they are used up, I will not book with NCL again. If it isn't a rotating menu, then the food has to be superb (like Viking good). And NCL just isn't, which wasn't an issue in the past since the trade offs were variety and cost.

IDK exactly how many people eat at the same places nightly on a cruise, but I do. It directly affects me. This is a shame since NCL is one of, if not my favorite, CL. Great musicals with a fun night life. But the same food every night would be a deal breaker. Food is a big part of cruising for me. It wouldn't surprise when this is rolled out fleet wide due to cost savings. 

I can see why you do not like this. It does sound like they will have more choices though. So unless it is a longer cruise, you should be able to try many different things on that menu. I will post the menu after my trip in October if we do not see it someplace before then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Believe it or not, its for the same reason that people will pay to go out and eat at a restaurant at home instead of eating in their own dining room for "free".

Sometimes you want to try a different place, with different decor...something smaller and more intimate where you can get more attentive service from the staff.

One could also ask why people would eat at a buffet instead of in the restaurant with multi-course sit down dining, but there are plenty of people who opt for the buffet.

Different strokes.

Okay, I have to admit that I do enjoy '"date night" with my husband at Le Bistro. It is a type of restaurant that I never go to on land. I get what you are saying, but what I was trying to say was good food used to be included. The Italian restaurant did not have an upcharge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I can see why you do not like this. It does sound like they will have more choices though. So unless it is a longer cruise, you should be able to try many different things on that menu. I will post the menu after my trip in October if we do not see it someplace before then.

Thanks. 

I will say that I typically get 3 entrees per night. So I will finish trying all the menu options by the 2nd night. 

My nightly routine typically consists of going to the MDR at around 6 pm. I eat until I am like 80% full. Seeing a show. Hitting the buffet before it closes. Doing another activity with my guests. I may hit up the local or osheans after midnight if I am still awake. So I am already hitting up 3 venues at night for dinner. Gorging is part of the fun when cruising for me.

I already am going to the other venues for dinner. To lose variety where I eat 80% of my calories from at night is frustrating. I have a sore spot for NCL and am very biased toward NCL. But reducing the menu is step too far for me. It's why I don't like eating at the Haven restaurant. Food is good, but very limited. It gets boring eating the same thing nightly. 

Edited by DrSea

53 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Thanks. 

I will say that I typically get 3 entrees per night. So I will finish trying all the menu options by the 2nd night. 

My nightly routine typically consists of going to the MDR at around 6 pm. I eat until I am like 80% full. Seeing a show. Hitting the buffet before it closes. Doing another activity with my guests. I may hit up the local or osheans after midnight if I am still awake. So I am already hitting up 3 venues at night for dinner. Gorging is part of the fun when cruising for me.

I already am going to the other venues for dinner. To lose variety where I eat 80% of my calories from at night is frustrating. I have a sore spot for NCL and am very biased toward NCL. But reducing the menu is step too far for me. It's why I don't like eating at the Haven restaurant. Food is good, but very limited. It gets boring eating the same thing nightly. 

3 per night?  How long must that take?  Others dining with you must be patient souls.  

That said, I wouldn’t protest too much until you actually experience said menu. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

3 per night?  How long must that take?  Others dining with you must be patient souls.  

That said, I wouldn’t protest too much until you actually experience said menu. 

Usually at least one other person wants to grab food with me. Haha!

MDR is ~2 hrs, and buffet and the Local/Osheans is around 30 min each. Could be as little as 1 min if I stroll through the buffet and don't find anything I want at that time. I got restless and bored with the Haven menu, which was small but good.