Spanish VAT

think l read somewhere that  while a ship is in Spanish territorial waters, they have to levy Spanish VAT (tax) on purchases made onboard. 

We're on the Anthem in September,  and will  be at several Spanish ports. We don't intend to go ashore at the all, and will enjoy a quieter ship.

Will we get an additional charge on drinks during  those days? (we have the UBP)

51 minutes ago, little britain said:

I’ve been investigating this: but am struggling to see how you get a VAT refund if you leave the country by ship…?

Pretty easy, you can't get a refund on something that is consumable, so no, to drinks and foods and if you are on the ship, than there would be nothing that qualifies

3 hours ago, little britain said:

I thought Spanish VAT was only charged on intra EU sailings and if there was a non EU port it wasn’t charged. 

Irrespective of that, if you have the drinks package you aren’t charged extra. RCI swallow the additional tax cost. 

No, Spain also charges the VAT for port stops. We had this way back in 2014 on the Oasis TA with a stop in Malaga.

As the drinks are not purchased there is no VAT. The package is purchased online - you can dispute about the place of purchase but actually it should be Miami as headquarter of RCI. So no Spanish VAT on a package as it´s not purchased in Spain. It´s another thing when you purchase it onboard. Then the VAT is added based on the price of the package.

steamboats

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Pretty easy, you can't get a refund on something that is consumable, so no, to drinks and foods and if you are on the ship, than there would be nothing that qualifies

Sorry; I’m talking about if I buy something in a shop in Barcelona (let’s say an expensive designer handbag….) and then I leave the country by ship… where do I process the VAT form. I’m sure there are no facilities at Barcelona port? 

Edited by little britain

10 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

think l read somewhere that  while a ship is in Spanish territorial waters, they have to levy Spanish VAT (tax) on purchases made onboard. 

We're on the Anthem in September,  and will  be at several Spanish ports. We don't intend to go ashore at the all, and will enjoy a quieter ship.

Will we get an additional charge on drinks during  those days? (we have the UBP)

My friend who is on board at the mo just checked; yes they do charge VAT when in port , even on sailings starting in England. However has you’ve got the drinks package there is nothing extra to pay. Enjoy the empty ship! 

11 hours ago, little britain said:

I’m sure there are no facilities at Barcelona port? 

There should be customs at the port of Barcelona and a VAT counter. Actually I´ve never looked for it as I can´t reclaim VAT.

steamboats