Pre cruise testing

Cheshire Blue

I see that both Cunard and Virgin appear to have removed the need for supervised pre cruise testing (and will now rely on a declaration from the passenger that they have taken a test and it was negative)

When do we think Celebrity will follow this ?  

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

I see that both Cunard and Virgin appear to have removed the need for supervised pre cruise testing (and will now rely on a declaration from the passenger that they have taken a test and it was negative)

In the future.  Cunard and Virgin are still subject to local and country testing rules.  Many countries including Canada and some in the Caribbean require testing. Thus any cruise that ports in those countries must test.

Will be interesting to see if Cunard or Virgin have problems.   Again since real numbers have not been released since December; will we really know?

Went to the Cunard website and it indicates/states pre-tests are required. Realize there maybe some other indication they’ve dropped it, but their website doesnt reflect that. 

9C5C8FF3-D292-4AED-9E42-7DC0CE4BD7D1.png

Edited by Denny01

1 hour ago, Cheshire Blue said:

The way to think about it isn't at the cruiseline level, it's at the port level, Cunard and Virgin are going to ports that are okay with not testing.

Also remember that X was the first line to restart out of the US, when they first restated, their first five sailings on the Edge didn't require pre-cruise testing.  When X removes the pre-testing hurdle, X corporate will be happier than the passengers will be.

Been on 9 sailings since the restart, 7 on X, the $33 at home test which later get reimbursed by insurance isn't that big of a deal for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Went to the Cunard website and it indicates/states pre-tests are required. Realize there maybe some other indication they’ve dropped it, but their website doesnt reflect that. 

If memory serves (which would be shocking), Cunard still requires a negative test, but you can take a home test and confirm that you did so has part the the health screening. In essence, it's the honor system.

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

If memory serves (which would be shocking), Cunard still requires a negative test, but you can take a home test and confirm that you did so has part the the health screening. In essence, it's the honor system.

That is correct.  Cunard (and several other lines) no longer require proof of a "supervised" test.  

I appreciate this will give rise to some people not declaring a positive test but self declaration  seems to be the way forward - as with any other illness / condition that should be declared pre cruise. 

Waiting for Celebrity to follow this lead   

• Like 2

not sure what the requirements are right now for European cruise ports regarding testing. My understanding, and I may be wrong is that this is a celebrity requirement. We can travel  in europe  with no testing providing we are vaccinated.

It is bizarre in my opinion that cruise ships are treated differently from all inclusive resorts on land.

Lets hope this testing nonsense ends soon.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tony UK said:

It is bizarre in my opinion that cruise ships are treated differently from all inclusive resorts on land.

All inclusive resorts on land do not have to worry about setting aside x number of quarantine rooms.

The staff at all inclusive resorts on land can stay home if sick.

The square footage (square meters for the metric users) is much greater per patron on land vs a ship, so much more spread out.

Covid positive guests can just leave the all inclusive resort at any time, no mandatory quarantine.

Just a few reasons they are different.

27 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

All inclusive resorts on land do not have to worry about setting aside x number of quarantine rooms.

The staff at all inclusive resorts on land can stay home if sick.

The square footage (square meters for the metric users) is much greater per patron on land vs a ship, so much more spread out.

Covid positive guests can just leave the all inclusive resort at any time, no mandatory quarantine.

Just a few reasons they are different.

I do agree about having to keep spare rooms for quarantine, although now on Cunard in Europe the line have said you can now stay in your own room I think with your travelling companion so it can be done!

It is actually safer for us if staff are on the ship rather than out in the community travelling home each day.

The square footage depends on the resort / hotel. Some all inclusives are rammed with guests.

There are covid positive people in all situations wandering around. Many with no or very few symptoms. There is no mandatory quarantine unless you are ill, report into medical centres and then test positive.  

Maybe Celebrity will move to something like Cunard have introduced. People will be more likely to report and be tested if they know they will be well treated and well looked after.

It also depends on ports visited.  For example, our October cruise on Beyond stops 2days after embarkation in Bermuda.  Bermuda currently requires anyone entering the country, by cruise or air, visitors or residents, to have a negative test.  There’s no indication that that requirement or the Bermuda Travel Authorization which must not only be completed and fee paid pre-embarkation but approved by the Bermuda authorities to even board the ship.  So even IF Celebrity dropped the requirements it cannot be for every cruise.