Opinions on quick bites in Hamilton..

big al

Hi guys & gals...my wife & I will be in Bermuda docking at King's Wharf arriving Tuesday, 8/23/22 at 3 pm on the Mariner Of The Seas..we want to get off & see a bit of Hamilton and go to one of the pubs there..I have 3 in mind: Frog & Onion Pub Brewing, Hammerheads Bar & Grill, and my current front runner, Hog Penny's..the latter has escargots, a fav of mine and an Amber Ale, also a fav...any opinions on these or perhaps recommend another place with quick bites & pub atmosphere not too far away from the dock? Also, we are seniors and walking far can be an issue...a bit of a walk there, or should we take a taxi, bus, etc.? Thanks! 😎

Big Al

29 minutes ago, big al said:

Hi guys & gals...my wife & I will be in Bermuda docking at King's Wharf arriving Tuesday, 8/23/22 at 3 pm on the Mariner Of The Seas..we want to get off & see a bit of Hamilton and go to one of the pubs there..I have 3 in mind: Frog & Onion Pub Brewing, Hammerheads Bar & Grill, and my current front runner, Hog Penny's..the latter has escargots, a fav of mine and an Amber Ale, also a fav...any opinions on these or perhaps recommend another place with quick bites & pub atmosphere not too far away from the dock? Also, we are seniors and walking far can be an issue...a bit of a walk there, or should we take a taxi, bus, etc.? Thanks! 😎

Big Al

i have the feeling that you may mistakenly believe that Kings Wharf is in Hamilton. It isn't, it's in the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Of the three pubs you've named, only Hog Penny is in Hamilton. It also happens to be our favorite lunch spot and pub in Bermuda. To get there take the Blue Route ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton and then it's a short walk to the Hog Penny, although you have to walk up a steep but short incline at the end.

The Frog and Onion is in the Royal Naval Dockyard , where you'll be docked. It's also a good pub and lunch spot. It's a short walk  from Kings Wharf.

Hammerheads is part of the Snorkel Park beach complex that is also located in the Dockyard, but it's not someplace you would go unless you were going to Snorkel park beach, which has an admission fee.

It is VERY steep on Burnaby St in Hamilton to get to the Hog Penny. I would also recommend Flanagan's on Front St. It's only 2 or 3 storefronts away from where you'd take the turn onto Burnaby St in the Emporium Building. Elevator up to 2nd floor and it features outside dining too!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

i have the feeling that you may mistakenly believe that Kings Wharf is in Hamilton. It isn't, it's in the Royal Naval Dockyard.

Of the three pubs you've named, only Hog Penny is in Hamilton. It also happens to be our favorite lunch spot and pub in Bermuda. To get there take the Blue Route ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton and then it's a short walk to the Hog Penny, although you have to walk up a steep but short incline at the end.

The Frog and Onion is in the Royal Naval Dockyard , where you'll be docked. It's also a good pub and lunch spot. It's a short walk  from Kings Wharf.

Hammerheads is part of the Snorkel Park beach complex that is also located in the Dockyard, but it's not someplace you would go unless you were going to Snorkel park beach, which has an admission fee.

Thanks!!!

3 minutes ago, meglet said:

It is VERY steep on Burnaby St in Hamilton to get to the Hog Penny. I would also recommend Flanagan's on Front St. It's only 2 or 3 storefronts away from where you'd take the turn onto Burnaby St in the Emporium Building. Elevator up to 2nd floor and it features outside dining too!

Thanks for the tip!!

1 hour ago, meglet said:

Hmm. From my perspective it is only a minor incline. I guess it is all relative. I like Flanagan’s and Hog Penny, usually go to Flanagan’s, but I walk up the stairs at Flanagans, I don’t take elevator. Good exercise .Perhaps Hog Penny would be a problem for people with mobility issues but otherwise I don’t think it is an issue. Really boils down to an Irish style sports bar style pub versus a traditional English pub vibe for most people.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, meglet said:

It is VERY steep on Burnaby St in Hamilton to get to the Hog Penny.

I feel like this is a bit of an exaggeration unless you were significantly physically impaired. It is about 50 feet (maybe less) up what is a pretty moderate incline.

Frankly that's one of my favorite spots in Hamilton. When we've cruised there on a ship that actually docks in Hamilton its sort of fun to time the last drink right up to the call time and then scurry down Front St to board just in time. 

• Like 2

We enjoyed our snacks at the Frog and Onion when we were in Kings Wharf last week - they had a really yummy bacon onion cheese dip, and they had Bermuda brew on tap.  We also popped into the Pickled Onion in Hamilton for a few appetizers, but it was up a steep flight of stairs to the second level, so I don't know if that would be a problem.  (We were with my 78 year old mother who has bad knees and she was ok.)  The food was very good though, and it wasn't far from the ferry terminal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LuvCruising88 said:

We enjoyed our snacks at the Frog and Onion when we were in Kings Wharf last week - they had a really yummy bacon onion cheese dip, and they had Bermuda brew on tap.  We also popped into the Pickled Onion in Hamilton for a few appetizers, but it was up a steep flight of stairs to the second level, so I don't know if that would be a problem.  (We were with my 78 year old mother who has bad knees and she was ok.)  The food was very good though, and it wasn't far from the ferry terminal. 

Here is some trivia. Picked Onion, Frog and Onion, Hog Penny, and a couple of other restaurants are owned by the same company. 

• Like 2