Will majority of places take credit card?

Vampiress88

These are all the ports we will be visiting. 

Nordfjordeid -

Hellesylt- 

Molde -

Stavanger-

Hamburg Germany -

Cherbourg France -

Rotterdam Netherlands-

Zeebruge Belgium -

La Harve France -

Madeira -

Tenerife-

Gran Canaria -

Lanzarote-

Cadiz -

Lisbon -

Olden -

Alesund -

Haugesund -

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I would have thought all of those places would take a card.  I use my Nationwide card everywhere abroad.  No charges.

Hoping so cos I don’t like carrying cash. 
only going to get 2500nok and have €280 left from April. 

Not had a need to use cash for a few years in most places.  Being on a cruise the need to spend is also reduced.

As a back up a Starling current account debit card and Barclaycard Rewards Credit Card both give free foreign use including ATM cash withdrawals should you have no choice but to use local currency. 

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

These are all the ports we will be visiting. 

Nordfjordeid -

Hellesylt- 

Molde -

Stavanger-

Hamburg Germany -

Cherbourg France -

Rotterdam Netherlands-

Zeebruge Belgium -

La Harve France -

Madeira -

Tenerife-

Gran Canaria -

Lanzarote-

Cadiz -

Lisbon -

Olden -

Alesund -

Haugesund -

That's one hell of a cruise!! 

• Haha 1

Make sure you have emergency local currency.  I've just had a very interesting conversation with Princess regarding what they believe is reasonable to have on you!  See my Football analogy link if you wonder what I'm referring to!!

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Make sure you have emergency local currency.  I've just had a very interesting conversation with Princess regarding what they believe is reasonable to have on you!  See my Football analogy link if you wonder what I'm referring to!!

This is a good idea.  In the Netherlands a cc. not much used. 

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

wow 3 different credit cards with £10k on them and then 200 in local. Now the local we probably would have unless it’s the end of the holiday then depends. But I don’t think it’s likely that everyone carries a £10k credit card let alone three. 
strangely enough my husband has two credit cards with about that limit on them, although one we never use and the other is so we can pay off the holidays then clear the card (so we have that section 75? I think rule, worked well with covid in getting money back anyway) 

but still that’s a massive amount to expect everyone to have. Surely this is why we pay for insurance cos we aren’t all walking around with that. 
and we don’t have American Express as not everywhere accepts that. I think both our cards are visa. Off to check now cos it’s always worth knowing. 

• Like 2

Looks like we have one Mastercard and one Visa so will be covered if we get stuck anywhere but I don’t like using his. Mine is a travel one and his are not but very good to know. 

Find out all sorts of good things on here. 

• Like 2

Always take a credit card and at least copy of passport ashore (plus EU health card). Covers you whatever happens. Was on Ramblas 30 minutes before terrorist attack and if I had been caught up in that these things would have been invaluable. You never know what might happen! 

• Like 5

On 8/1/2022 at 5:12 PM, Thejuggler said:

Not had a need to use cash for a few years in most places.  Being on a cruise the need to spend is also reduced.

As a back up a Starling current account debit card and Barclaycard Rewards Credit Card both give free foreign use including ATM cash withdrawals should you have no choice but to use local currency. 

The Starling card is my choice for all international travel 👍