APP DINING RESERVATIONS IGNORED BY ENTRY STAFF

windsor26

I have just returned from a nice cruise on Sky Princesss but although we used the app and were confirmed as the same time every night for a shared table (with strangers NOT RELATIVES)  we were advised they did not do  shared tables "as No one wanted them"   not true as we spoke with many who would have loved to chat to others while dining but were not offered this choice.

I do HOPE  that Princess reads these forums to bring back at least half of one dining room for sharing tables as we had so many great friends over the years from our table companions and they are stilll friends.   We are due on the Magestic Princess in January and do hope to have a shared table to meet friends we have not yet met.

If sharing is ot you choice please do not 'heckle' at me  this thread is my feelings and to ascertain how many cruisers would still like to share.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I have just returned from a nice cruise on Sky Princesss but although we used the app and were confirmed as the same time every night for a shared table (with strangers NOT RELATIVES)  we were advised they did not do  shared tables "as No one wanted them"   not true as we spoke with many who would have loved to chat to others while dining but were not offered this choice.

I do HOPE  that Princess reads these forums to bring back at least half of one dining room for sharing tables as we had so many great friends over the years from our table companions and they are stilll friends.   We are due on the Magestic Princess in January and do hope to have a shared table to meet friends we have not yet met.

If sharing is ot you choice please do not 'heckle' at me  this thread is my feelings and to ascertain how many cruisers would still like to share.

On Discovery in May, people were sharing tables.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

On the enchanted people were sharing tables but the majority seemed to want a table for 2 as they were always filled.

I'm assuming their reply was to indicate the general preference. 

I spoke with many couples on these tables for 2 on the Sky   they would have prefered to share many of them but were not given the option.  When in line I NEVER heard the entry staff offer 'would you care to share?'

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

not true as we spoke with many who would have loved to chat to others while dining but were not offered this choice.

I guess the solution is to pair up with the people with whom you spoke and amend your reservation to a party of 4 or 6 or 8 and create your own shared table.  The app lets you add "shipmates" and once you do, you can add them to your dining reservation. If the staff won't pair people up, then they have to take the initiative and do it themselves. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

That sounds so odd.  Must have been a Sky thing.  All the ones we’ve sailed have always asked:  Would you like to share?

I don’t think that is the norm.

What DR was it?  They must have had a lot of tables for 2?

• Like 2

Most of the tables were for 2 but put close together so luckily we could chat to others otherwise the large tables were for families   we were given the same table each night

• Like 1

21 hours ago, windsor26 said:

A lot of people DO NOT want to share with strangers in this time when Covid is still raging about. I don't know where the Sky is right now, but on the West Coast of the U.S. Covid rates and hospitalizations are back where they were 12 months ago. Fewer are dying, but the risk remains, especially for those with co-morbidities. After an over two year break my parents (92 & 93) are going on a cruise next month. Even fully vaxed and boosted they are at risk.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

After an over two year break my parents (92 & 93) are going on a cruise next month. Even fully vaxed and boosted they are at risk.

I have to say that taking a cruise in their situation seems extremely ill advised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that taking a cruise in their situation seems extremely ill advised.

They have literally barely left their home for over two years. They go to doctors appointments and that is about it. They think the risk is worth it given the damage from being "locked up" has done to their mental health.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

They have literally barely left their home for over two years. They go to doctors appointments and that is about it. They think the risk is worth it given the damage from being "locked up" has done to their mental health.

I fully understand why your parents want to get out and about - good for them !

It is just the cruise element that was of concern.  

11 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

What's the point in living if living means "Covid Jail"?  Good for them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

A lot of people DO NOT want to share with strangers in this time when Covid is still raging about.

Except s/he was asking about how many people WOULD like to share.

Please don't turn this into another Covid thread.  There are plenty of those where you can post your recent trend information, and in any event, the OP's cruise isn't until January.

43 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Please don't turn this into another Covid thread.  There are plenty of those where you can post your recent trend information, and in any event, the OP's cruise isn't until January.

We also like to share, regardless of covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Right... and plenty of guests like to share.  However, my reading of various many posts since the outset of DMW is that many of those folks expect to dine with the same group each evening.  Certainly anyone who was an AT diner and uses DMW for random bookings or is a walk-up, will expect to be seated with random different guests each evening.  But those who are booking for full voyage are generally expecting same table and waiters each night.

Perhaps the best way for someone to get a sense of this is to create a CC Poll.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But those who are booking for full voyage are generally expecting same table and waiters each night.

No, we book in the expectation (and hope) that we will sit with different people every night. No way do we want to have the same table companions every night for 14 nights ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

He said, "this thread is my feelings and to ascertain how many cruisers would still like to share." That means finding out how many would like to and how many would not like. That is how you arrive at a final number. Nothing more, nothing less.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I fully understand why your parents want to get out and about - good for them !

It is just the cruise element that was of concern.  

A cruise is an all inclusive vacation where they do not need to do anything for themselves once they arrive at the ship. They live 40 minutes south of the LA cruise port. There is nothing they could do land based that comes even close.

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, we book in the expectation (and hope) that we will sit with different people every night. No way do we want to have the same table companions every night for 14 nights ! 

That's fine.  I would suggest making individual night reservations and to not book for the entire voyage option.

We had dining reservations for every night but ignored them, because the line for No Reservations was so much shorter.  My only disappointment was that we got different table-mates for every night but one.    In the past when we shared the table with the same people, that's when we started to fare-share the same taxis and rental cars with each other, and to look at each other's suites.   The whole table could hang out in a full suite together, and we could open up the balcony and turn on the stateroom TV to sports for the guys.

As far as I'm concerned, these parties in the full suites with people you just met ought to start a whole new fad in cruising.  

Edited by tetleytea
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

A cruise is an all inclusive vacation where they do not need to do anything for themselves once they arrive at the ship. They live 40 minutes south of the LA cruise port. There is nothing they could do land based that comes even close.

Totally understand.  Hope they have a great time.