Last cruise of the season/destination.

We are on the last Alaskan cruise (Bliss) that NCL offers in October - looks like then they head south down to Mexico. 

Anything different on the last of a season cruise like this? Good or bad.
I had this weird thought that maybe the food’s not gonna be good because they’re running out of pineapple or whatever. But they’ll still get their provisions, and they’ll still need them for wherever they go next, right?

Just a curiously dumb question. 

Sale on Alaskan trinkets on the ship. No use for a ulu in Mexico.

Shore shops will be closing down and moving stock to the Caribbean. Sale on Alaskan trinkets. 

The cruise is more susceptible to weather. Cold temps for all port calls. Potential of snow and ice. Glacier Bay viewing is more of a challenge (bundle up for the full experience). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about Alaska but one thing i noticed on the east coast on some of the canada/new england cruises in the past is that some shore excursions company stop running tours towards the end of the cruising season for that port

like they only did tours during the first half of October and then later in the month they stop during tours. if the ship docked during this later half of the month the numbers of excursions became limited

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:55 PM, casofilia said:

Simple answer: everything Alaskan is "cheaper" than usual in the cheap stores in port.   Be prepared for COLD weather and possible rough seas.

Um.  I was thinking more about food and shopping.

I figured the weather would be cooler (cold) but I had never considered 😲 ROUGH SEAS 😲 - gah!  I take Bonine and some prescription chill-out meds for panicky situations; I guess it's time to make sure I've got my refills in place!

On 8/3/2022 at 4:59 AM, mearsfansinboise said:

Anything different on the last of a season cruise like this?

Any onboard decorations and equipment referring to Alaska may vanish during the cruise, to be replaced by stuff about Mexico. So you can look at pictures of warm sunshine while you're freezing to death and huddled in your fur overcoat.

The crew may have a demob-happy mood about them, cheerfully talking about how they're looking forward to warmer weather and sunshine - while you're freezing to death and huddled in your fur overcoat.

And if you're the last ship of the season in any port, you may be able to watch shoreside establishments packing up, taking down their signage and boarding up the shops - literally as you're returning to the ship.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, casofilia said:

@mearsfansinboise

😲 ROUGH SEAS 😲

In 2013 we were on a last Alaskan cruise and had to miss Ketchikan as we had a force 10 gale for 36 hours running on full stabilizers the whole time.  We really enjoyed it!!   Lots didn't!!!

I could have gone all day without hearing this - lol!