Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

13 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Since March, the filet mignon that was served with the steak and eggs at brunch was replaced with the same nasty, tough strip loin served on the every night section of the MDR menu. Poor decision by Carnival.

I thought it was just my ship. I ordered 2x on 2 separate days hoping that they would get me fillet mignon. The server was trying to tell me it was fillet mignon when I knew it wasn't lol. Shame. CCL food is not as good as it use to be. It wasn't a 5 star restaurant to begin with too. Shame. I will still cruise with CCL, but they just have to continue offering me steep discounts to match these cuts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

From what I saw regarding the strip loin from meagan's review, it looked quite edible.

37D5BD9F-C685-4EBF-8008-D5E315437241.thu

We’ve had really good experiences with the strip loin on the Ecstasy as seen above and on the Liberty. For us, the flat iron was hit or Miss… mostly miss. My son enjoyed the strip loin several nights and I’ve had it once or twice. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

That looks better than what we were served in March. The strip loin that was served in the MDR was the same as the brunch and neither ever looked as good as this. Really, it didn't.

I never realized Megan travels with a child. That beef looks like it's from the Steakhouse Selections on the MDR menu but can't be sure because it's been cut up for a child. 

Blerk, please let us know your opinion of the strip loin served at brunch when you've had it yourself. 

Our’s was definitely different than brunch. 
And crazy thing about kids, you go on 5 cruises and they expect to go on at least one. 😆😝

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yes, I agree. The flat iron is a tricky cut and if not butchered and trimmed correctly there is a wide band of sinew that runs through it making it tough. That's one reason some said theirs was tough and the person seated next to them would proclaim it tender. But the petite filet mignon was simply the best piece of beef included in the cruise fare and we sure do miss it. 

I am assuming that there isn't any plans for them to bring it back, right? 

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

The Executive Chef told me he wasn't certain but believed the change would be around a long time. 

Ah. ok. So now CCL is officially worst than NCL and RCL in terms of food in my book. Not a big deal so long as CCL offers me a lower price. Literally that one cut of steak was what made me think that CCL's food wasn't that bad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Ah. ok. So now CCL is officially worst than NCL and RCL in terms of food in my book. Not a big deal so long as CCL offers me a lower price. Literally that one cut of steak was what made me think that CCL's food wasn't that bad. 

I would tell people that were new to Carnival it was the best piece of beef included in their cruise fare. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and we'd still have the petite filet mignon at Brunch.

I will say though the Port Day Breakfast Menu offers the Side Board that comes with thin, lean pastrami deli slices served with toasted sourdough and soft boiled eggs. I order a side of hominy grits and I'm happy. I do wish Carnival would go back to serving boiled eggs in ceramic egg cups that hold the egg upright. Here you can see I travel with my own egg cup.

breakfast.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I would tell people that were new to Carnival it was the best piece of beef included in their cruise fare. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and we'd still have the petite filet mignon at Brunch.

I didn't help much either. I would literally eat 10 of those petite fillet mignon per sea day. I doomed us all. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

I didn't help much either. I would literally eat 10 of those petite fillet mignon per sea day. I doomed us all. 

See above edit for Port Day Breakfast Menu " The Side Board" suggestion for warm, lean pastrami and eggs. Not the filet but quite good and different for breakfast.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

See above edit for Port Day Breakfast Menu " The Side Board" suggestion for warm, lean pastrami and eggs. Not the filet but quite good and different for breakfast.

Cool. I will order it for my Thanksgiving cruise. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I just wish I did my research and knew about them taking away the fillet mignon earlier. I would have booked a different Thanksgiving cruise had I known. RCL was literally only $40 more for the entire trip and I would have gotten better food. Oh well. You live and learn. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I do wish Carnival would go back to serving boiled eggs in ceramic egg cups that hold the egg upright. Here you can see I travel with my own egg cup.

Seriously? LOL, boiled eggs in a special egg cup that holds the egg upright? I've never used one of those and never will, it's a useless tool for boujie people. A plate is fancy enough lol. Cracking/peeling a egg in a cup is ridiculous.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Seriously? LOL, boiled eggs in a special egg cup that holds the egg upright? I've never used one of those and never will, it's a useless tool for boujie people. A plate is fancy enough lol.  

You don't eat soft boiled eggs. Nothing boujie. I'm British American and it's how we roll. Egg cups carefully cradle boiled eggs, holding them in place for easier eating with less mess. The classic design of the Double Egg Cup elevates the egg and adds stability for easier handling.

Your ethnocentricity doesn't become you. 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 6

On 8/5/2022 at 6:36 AM, cxr133 said:

mmmmm....... at Xcaret  i liked the Street Tacos way  better than i liked the fine dining.

and they were open later than the restaurants 

but how much did you pay to stay at Xcaret ??? 

Bet is was 10 x what you pay carnival - the prices I looked at ran at nearly $2000 AUD per night !!

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know about the shows, but I did read airlines have canceled another 1100 flights today. 1248 flights yesterday. How do those fraudsters get away with it? One of their biggest excuses is staffing shortages.

Not that context matters much around here, I'd bet the majority of those cancellations were weather related.  Draw a line from Atlanta to Boston, and every airport there has either been closed intermittently (lightning) or seen arrival/departure rates cut in half by the FAA due to thunderstorms.

Southwest alone has had over 500 cancellations the past two days.  Delta and one of their regionals are another 500 cancellations.  Carry that across to United, American, Jetblue, Spirit, etc. not to mention the international and Canadian carriers affected, and you get to 3,000 pretty quickly.... 

Speaking of excuses..... a big chunk of the delays for Florida flights were due to FAA understaffing.  They're running about 30-40% understaffed at the main ATC center in Jacksonville, FL that controls just about everything flying up/down the Eastern seaboard.

If you want to lump the government in with what you call fraudsters, I'm right there with ya.  But weather is weather.  Planes and lightning don't mix well.  Neither do employees working out on an airport ramp with lightning.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Not that context matters much around here, I'd bet the majority of those cancellations were weather related.  Draw a line from Atlanta to Boston, and every airport there has either been closed intermittently (lightning) or seen arrival/departure rates cut in half by the FAA due to thunderstorms.

Southwest alone has had over 500 cancellations the past two days.  Delta and one of their regionals are another 500 cancellations.  Carry that across to United, American, Jetblue, Spirit, etc. not to mention the international and Canadian carriers affected, and you get to 3,000 pretty quickly.... 

Speaking of excuses..... a big chunk of the delays for Florida flights were due to FAA understaffing.  They're running about 30-40% understaffed at the main ATC center in Jacksonville, FL that controls just about everything flying up/down the Eastern seaboard.

If you want to lump the government in with what you call fraudsters, I'm right there with ya.  But weather is weather.  Planes and lightning don't mix well.  Neither do employees working out on an airport ramp with lightning.

Weather related? As in whether of not they have staff? Yes, weather has been an issue, but not always.

A plane is stuck by lightening almost every day somewhere.