Did P&O Order the Wrong Ships?

Billish

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Point proved then.  Millions of people over many years love Take That in all their guises - the sell out concerts and recording sales rather prove that.  As for only knowing one kind of music what exactly do you expect from him, a sudden rendition of a Led Zeppelin or a Stormzy classic?

As I said previously everybody has different tastes.  I'm no fan of the Proms but apart from the fact they are paid for through the BBC I don't think I have a right to call them rubbish. I have friends who love Elvis and hate The Beatles while I'm the reverse. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

Gary Barlow is a clever choice by P&O.  Inoffensive, well known and a big name who can still fill Wembley Stadium when necessary.  Might not be everyone's cup of tea but has appeal across most generations.  Before you say it, no I'm not a particular fan of his but I do admire him, the other Take That members and their old mate Robbie Williams for staying the course and more importantly taking on the recording companies to stop them ripping off artists.

Gary Barlow and take that are ok, Led Zep more so, Stormzy less so. We like entertainment that we haven't seen before. Looking at all these posts, I wonder if P&O have got the right ships, but the wrong customers. Off on Anthem in a couple of weeks, then Britannia. We may not enjoy every aspect, buy we are on holiday, so will  make the best of everything. Deciding we will hate it before going and then telling folk would make us look a bit daft for booking them in the first place wouldn't it ?🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Point proved then.  Millions of people over many years love Take That in all their guises - the sell out concerts and recording sales rather prove that.  As for only knowing one kind of music what exactly do you expect from him, a sudden rendition of a Led Zeppelin or a Stormzy classic?

As I said previously everybody has different tastes.  I'm no fan of the Proms but apart from the fact they are paid for through the BBC I don't think I have a right to call them rubbish. I have friends who love Elvis and hate The Beatles while I'm the reverse. Doesn't make any of us right or wrong.

Gary Barlow is a clever choice by P&O.  Inoffensive, well known and a big name who can still fill Wembley Stadium when necessary.  Might not be everyone's cup of tea but has appeal across most generations.  Before you say it, no I'm not a particular fan of his but I do admire him, the other Take That members and their old mate Robbie Williams for staying the course and more importantly taking on the recording companies to stop them ripping off artists.

Nowhere did I use the word rubbish referring to this music. My point was, and still is, that the Barlow music only caters to one particular choice and while he is loved by many, remember Take That were a boy band and catered to young girls at the time. All I would ask is a little variety in the music which you will not get with Take That. I should point out that a certain Gilbert O' Sullivan was the first person to take on agents and record companies. Anyway, each to their own and it will mean two extra spare seats in the theatre.

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Gary Barlow and take that are ok, Led Zep more so, Stormzy less so. We like entertainment that we haven't seen before. Looking at all these posts, I wonder if P&O have got the right ships, but the wrong customers. Off on Anthem in a couple of weeks, then Britannia. We may not enjoy every aspect, buy we are on holiday, so will  make the best of everything. Deciding we will hate it before going and then telling folk would make us look a bit daft for booking them in the first place wouldn't it ?🤔

Take That music was taken on board after I had booked. If the RC entertainment is anything like it was pre-C then you may notice the difference.We will make the best of it....but miss the music and theatre side.

Edited by Yorkypete

36 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Nowhere did I use the word rubbish referring to this music. My point was, and still is, that the Barlow music only caters to one particular choice and while he is loved by many, remember Take That were a boy band and catered to young girls at the time. All I would ask is a little variety in the music which you will not get with Take That. I should point out that a certain Gilbert O' Sullivan was the first person to take on agents and record companies. Anyway, each to their own and it will mean two extra spare seats in the theatre.

And if you would kindly reread my post you will see that I never said you used the word "rubbish". I actually said my friends thought my preferred music was rubbish so in no way connected to you.

Final word on Take That/Gary Barlow link to P&O.  All those young ladies from 1990 you mentioned being marketed to are now of the exact age P&O are targetting.  If they are anything like my nieces and godchildren they still love Take That and Gary Barlow/Robbie Williams and their children will have grown up listening to the music and going to see the live shows.  The Take That musical on stage in London was a huge success until the pandemic came along.  The songs, which you have every right to dislike, are now British standards in their own right known by vast amounts of the population.  I'm sure that your two empty seats will be readily filled by someone who wants to be Taken Back For Good.

Sad about Gilbert, twenty albums most of which the general public never got to hear due to his court actions. Thankfully those that have come later have had more success.  Wicked world the entertainment industry.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

Take That music was taken on board after I had booked. If the RC entertainment is anything like it was pre-C then you may notice the difference.We will make the best of it....but miss the music and theatre side.

I seem to remember seeing a take that tribute band on RC , Queen and Elton John on Celebrity and Adele on P&O. I note Jools Holland is on Saga. As you say, lots of variety on cruise ships.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

I seem to remember seeing a take that tribute band on RC , Queen and Elton John on Celebrity and Adele on P&O. I note Jools Holland is on Saga. As you say, lots of variety on cruise ships.

We saw a Queen tribute band on Britannia back in 2016 on a short cruise to Guernsey

BCA70C34-362A-49F7-8F24-1DB22E3A4955.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We saw a Queen tribute band on Britannia back in 2016 on a short cruise to Guernsey

BCA70C34-362A-49F7-8F24-1DB22E3A4955.jpeg

Some of the tribute bands are better than the originals. Some years ago we saw the strolling bones. The singer was so like Mike Jagger.

11 hours ago, zap99 said:

Some of the tribute bands are better than the originals. Some years ago we saw the strolling bones. The singer was so like Mike Jagger.

Totally agree, we have seen some excellent tribute acts on ships and at home , the attention to the little things makes them worth seeing, and hearing👍

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just resurrecting this thread - I see that Fred have cancelled cruises on Bolette due to lack of demand ! 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/28115-fred-olsen-cancelling-some-winter-cruises-due-to-lack-of-demand.html

Perhaps P&O have got it right by ordering large ships after all !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, gsmt47471015 said:

Totally agree, we have seen some excellent tribute acts on ships and at home , the attention to the little things makes them worth seeing, and hearing👍

Whilst i do enjoy music id like to see different shows. More variety shows, magic shows, acrobats. There is so much good fun entertainment out there rather then booking singers. Granted the big ships will have some good Venus for different types of entertainment. However i often find esp on the smaller ships its singers and more singers. Be brave P&O and book a much better variety of entertainment and less singers. Or maybe i am thinking singers is easy and lazy.

5 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Whilst i do enjoy music id like to see different shows. More variety shows, magic shows, acrobats. There is so much good fun entertainment out there rather then booking singers. Granted the big ships will have some good Venus for different types of entertainment. However i often find esp on the smaller ships its singers and more singers. Be brave P&O and book a much better variety of entertainment and less singers. Or maybe i am thinking singers is easy and lazy.

On Iona recently. Acrobats, theatre magicians, table magicians, musicians, singers, fishermen's friend types, classical. On Britannia in October. Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the sheep and I hope Blitzer for a photo opportunity. I think you meant Venues rather than Venus, but you could sit on deck all night to watch the stars. Lots of Variety.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

On Iona recently. Acrobats, theatre magicians, table magicians, musicians, singers, fishermen's friend types, classical. On Britannia in October. Wallace and Gromit, Shaun the sheep and I hope Blitzer for a photo opportunity. I think you meant Venues rather than Venus, but you could sit on deck all night to watch the stars. Lots of Variety.

See that sounds great tbh. And yeah i am blaming auto correct 😜

• Haha 1

Not bothered about magic shows. We did see an excellent young man in the theatre on Ventura. It must have been 2018. I think he was Australian, only looked about twelve years old and could give Elton John a run for his money. 

On 8/16/2022 at 8:58 AM, Megabear2 said:

Horses for courses. P&O have Gary Barlow, Saga have Jules Holland.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, emam said:

Not bothered about magic shows. We did see an excellent young man in the theatre on Ventura. It must have been 2018. I think he was Australian, only looked about twelve years old and could give Elton John a run for his money. 

We had a magic guy on independence a few years ago, during the day, at pool and Buffets he did magic tricks was fun and people loved it. Kinda like street magic. Really worked well and everyone was talking about the interaction. 

2 hours ago, emam said:

Many 12 year olds could give Elton a run for his money, He must be about 85 and 20 stone.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Really good Eric Clapton tribute on Britannia in June. 

Have seen a few tribute bands and individuals. Annie Lennox on Ventura, Whitney Houston, Freddie Mercury all very good. Going past one of the lounges a few years ago and two guys who were excellent opera singers past me by I said "Your the two fivers are you" ? They laughed and carried on into the lounge.  

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Many 12 year olds could give Elton a run for his money, He must be about 85 and 20 stone.

Saw Elton on his Million Dollar Piano at Ceasar's Palace in 2015, total magic.  My friend surprised me with VIP tickets and I got to go on stage with Elton and about twenty others to sing Crocodile Rock. Marvellous memories. 

• Like 3