Crew Appreciation fees?

NextOne

I'm sure this is covered in an earlier thread, but I wasn't able to find it. What are the current crew appreciation rates? I'm trying to decide if the Book Early & Save offer is worthwhile.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The Crew Appreciation  is the new name for the Hotel Service charge.  It goes to the same people as previously with one exception.  When we cruised this spring, they added a service charge to the specialty restaurant charge, and there is still the 18 percent added to the bar tabs and wine charges.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

Does this tip go just to the room attendant, or is it a tip that goes to everyone on board that provides service?

I.e it covers room attendants, Porters, everything someone serves you at and outlet or buffet? Or were these tips included in the base fare? Or not at all?

Ahhh, now this is the big secret.  Even though you are paying the money, the cruise lines (not just HAL) do not want you to know where that money goes, who gets what, etc.   In a sense it is just a way for the cruise lines to market a lower cruise price while loading up cruisers with extra fees (that are no included in the marketing.    The truth is that it could all go into the CEOs pocket and passengers would be none the wiser.

Hank

• Haha 2

I would be very interested in learning exactly how the amount is calculated and divided. Some people adjust their amount, some pay more, others don't pay any of it. It's not set in stone; it's just a suggestion, is what I've been told. I don't mind paying tips so please son't assume I'm someone who doesn't pay tips, just because I mention the options for those who  don't realizes there are options. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I would be very interested in learning exactly how the amount is calculated and divided. Some people adjust their amount, some pay more, others don't pay any of it. It's not set in stone; it's just a suggestion, is what I've been told. I don't mind paying tips so please son't assume I'm someone who doesn't pay tips, just because I mention the options for those who  don't realizes there are options. 

I'm the same way. And I prefer to tip relevant to service.

I.e a port would get a $1 or 2 per bag, a waiter at Pinnacle would get 18%. Which is why I am curious if this $15.5 or $17 is for all Tipping, less what has been mentioned above (drinks, mini bar, signature dining.

I just don't like being "surprised" at the end which is why I have never done a cruise before.

2 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

I.e a port would get a $1 or 2 per bag, a waiter at Pinnacle would get 18%. Which is why I am curious if this $15.5 or $17 is for all Tipping, less what has been mentioned above (drinks, mini bar, signature dining.

I just don't like being "surprised" at the end which is why I have never done a cruise before.

Just a little research here, you won't be surprised at the end. And there are any number of places where they tell you exactly what the charges are. If you look around, you may find a breakdown of how the money is distributed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the page Vmax1700 posted, HAL pools all the service charges for the entire fleet over the entire year and then distributes to the crew members. So it really is just a way to pay the crew while keeping the advertised rates lower. And it emphasizes the benefit of cash tips for extra good service as well as naming the best crew members in your survey so they get additional compensation. 

Bob

• Like 1

I still can’t believe the long lines at the desk the last day of the cruise to remove the tips or whatever you want to call them. 
Some  claim “ They Never Knew About Them”

Some didn’t get a monkey towel animal so they want it removed.

They didn’t carry diet crush peach soda so they want them removed.

They we’re unable to stop at Half Moon Cay because there were 75 knots of wind. 
(All wiggle room excuses for the cheapskates)

Hal made people get tested and vaccinated to hoard a cruise. A simple note at the port that you agree to pay the crew appreciation fund or you’re not sailing on the ship easy peasy 

Get it done HAL stop tying up manpower to cater to the cheap

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, -The-True-North- said:

Porters are not included in the tipping.  They are not Hal employees.  If you choose to remove the tips and give money to select people, they will have to turn it in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1