San Francisco tours.

groundloop

We'll be in San Francisco in September for a cruise and will have a bit of time afterwards.  I'm looking at a tour of Alcatraz and a San Francisco Bay "cruise".  I can purchase tickets directly online, and have also been looking at a tour company (Viator) for around $30 more total.  Will the tour company offer any added value to justify the higher prices?

12 hours ago, groundloop said:

We'll be in San Francisco in September for a cruise and will have a bit of time afterwards.  I'm looking at a tour of Alcatraz and a San Francisco Bay "cruise".  I can purchase tickets directly online, and have also been looking at a tour company (Viator) for around $30 more total.  Will the tour company offer any added value to justify the higher prices?

We booked the Alcatraz tour in April on our own (only one company can sell tours there) and it was quick and easy.  Their dock was about a block or two from the cruise ship pier.

Book your Alcatraz tour directly online ASAP as they always sell out ahead.  The Bay cruises aren't so time sensitive, but why not go ahead and book as soon as you decide to do it.  Both are highly recommended by me!  Mid-September through October is the best time to visit the City because of less fog!

Have fun!

~Nancy

I did the alcatraz tour and bought direct.  Viator is a reseller of tours they operate NOTHING, they are just like expedia or similar.  The tour brings you to Alcatraz and then its a walking tour with an audio headset.  I found it really interesting.