St Thomas excursion to St John

Virginia100

I was looking at the various St John excursions  from St Thomas for my Nov 5 Millennium cruise but wondered why they all seem to depart at 8:30 am and the duration is only 4 hours as the ship departs at 5pm. I was thinking of the St Johns at your leisure but it’s there only from 8:30-12:30 (4 hours). I really wanted to be longer so I guess a taxi to Red Hook and ferry is it. Seems odd.

It's actually very easy to do this on your own.  Take a taxi to the ferry dock (Red Hook I believe) and take the ferry over to St. John.  Lots of taxis and shuttle buses there or you can rent Jeeps, etc...  We have done this 2 or 3 times.  We just catch one of the shuttle taxis to Trunk Bay.  We spend the day and then head back to the ferry.  We make sure to give ourselves plenty of time to get back.  If the ship leaves at 5:00 pm then I would start heading back to the ferry at about 2:00 pm.  Honestly, I don't know what you would get in St John if you left at 8:30 and came back at 12:30.  Not much time to see anything or even spend at the beach.  

• Like 1

And ship departure at 5pm is during St Thomas rush Hr and it can get crowded so @luv2camp04 is very right on giving enough time. Our daughter and husband almost missed the ship trying to get back. They had to abandon the taxi and hoof it at the end. 

edit: oops @phoenix_dream beat me to it!

den

Edited by Denny01

Several years ago, we partnered with a few other Cruise Critic members to charter a boat and captain from Red Hook to St. John with several stops including swimming with the turtles, Trunk Bay and  Caneel Bay I I think).  They picked us up at the ship, and were in St. John by 9am.  We were returned to the ship in plenty of time.  It cost about the same as the ship's tour - and was so much better.  

We were on a ship a long time ago where two people missed the ship because of the 5 pm traffic. 

• Like 1

DIY for sure!  Just be sure to factor in traffic and such (little East End traffic but will build as you get closer to Havensight). Trunk is fantastic (though the trail is a bit more beat up than it was 30yrs ago).  And don't forget Cinnamon Bay too!

Most Celebrity shore excursions are very short IMO. Less time for large groups to delay the ship. This one is very easy to DIY. 

If you can get a small group of 6-8 together a boat charter is worth it. I think we paid roughly $150/pp for a 6 hour charter. The company offer several pickup locations and we made our own itinerary based on their suggestions. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1