Air panic 3 months out!

caradara

Silversea has had my money since 2019 and finally a cruise to go this November on the Explorer to complete our Chile travel.  All looks fine on mysilversea but when I checked my flights with AA they have been changed to the following day which means we don't get the pre-hotel plus our chance of missing the cruise increases.  I have sent a message to my travel agent but does anyone have any other suggestions?  The flights on my original booking are sold out on AA for business class so I'm assuming that they were able to sell them since SS hasn't paid yet.  I've always done my own air but thought that with Covid it would be safer to do everything through SS since I'll need transfers to Valparaiso.  Thanks for any ideas other than just cancel the whole thing and collect my originally paid money minus the insurance.

If you booked through SS Air then they are responsible to get you to the ship. Have your TA be persistent and work with a manager.  I don’t think I would totally cancel on the possibility of not making it to the ship but if you really don’t want the stress then it would be understandable.   There seems to be more problems with SS Air recently.  

1 hour ago, forgap said:

Try to message Barbara Muckerman on FaceBook.  She is an executive with Silversea and has been very helpful resolving flight issues.  

For the millionth time, Facebook is NOT an option for a lot of us who don't fall for the whole FB game. We shouldn't have to use FB in order to get help!!

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

For the millionth time, Facebook is NOT an option for a lot of us who don't fall for the whole FB game. We shouldn't have to use FB in order to get help!!

Have you tried emailing Barbara Muckerman directly? Somewhere on this site is her email. I have emailed her before and she responded. I can't seem to find her address- sorry.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

If you booked through SS Air then they are responsible to get you to the ship.

If you can find such a provision in the Terms and Conditions, please post them.  For there is nothing along those lines.  In fact, what you have is:

In providing air arrangements, Silversea acts only as an agent on the guest’s behalf and does not operate, control or supervise any airline and will not be held responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules whether or not air schedules / tickets were issued by Silversea.

In other words, if your flights don't get you there, we are not responsible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caradara said:

I've always done my own air but thought that with Covid it would be safer to do everything through SS since I'll need transfers to Valparaiso.

Why "safer" with Silversea?  As noted above, they have no responsibility and only act as an agent.  Guests should read the actual terms and conditions.

As for the transfers:  I find it amazing how people spending tens of thousands of dollars for a cruise will become enamored with a transfer costing a few hundred dollars at most.  And will give up control of their air arrangements to get this benefit.  Now granted, Santiago is one of the places where there is a significant drive to reach the ship, but it's not beating through uncivilized terrain or rarely trod paths.

I have a cruise departing from Valparaiso next January - and had no trouble finding dozens of options to get from SCL to the port.  All for less than what cruiselines charge AND while retaining control of my flight, hotel and transfer options.

Finally, since you don't give actual dates or cities, it's tough to research what your flight options are.  Suffice to say that even if your original flight is sold out, there is daily AA service to SCL from both Dallas and Miami, with three times a week service from JFK.  Perhaps it will not be as convenient a routing, but there are other AA options out there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you can find such a provision in the Terms and Conditions, please post them.  For there is nothing along those lines.  In fact, what you have is:

In providing air arrangements, Silversea acts only as an agent on the guest’s behalf and does not operate, control or supervise any airline and will not be held responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules whether or not air schedules / tickets were issued by Silversea.

In other words, if your flights don't get you there, we are not responsible.

Well, thanks for setting the record straight!  I’ve just been repeating what many many posters have relayed here so I made an assumption.  Good to know.  I agree with you on transfers…not a motivator to book a pre-cruise hotel or air.  The only advantage I now see with booking air with SS is pricing especially for business and the ability to cancel with air penalty up to a point.  Lately though, pricing has not been great and routings/connection times have not always been so great.

23 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Well, thanks for setting the record straight!  I’ve just been repeating what many many posters have relayed here so I made an assumption.  Good to know.  I agree with you on transfers…not a motivator to book a pre-cruise hotel or air.  The only advantage I now see with booking air with SS is pricing especially for business and the ability to cancel with air penalty up to a point.  Lately though, pricing has not been great and routings/connection times have not always been so great.

And remember, not everyone, but a lot of people use points.  And now, points are re-depositable without penalty.  So, you could do what we have done.  Book with miles... And watch and monitor, if a great price for the ticket comes up, book with $$, and re-deposit the miles.  We know beforehand about what a ticket price is what we are shooting for ( approx).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimanjo said:

At this point at least there is no suggestion that the matter cannot be solved via direct contact with Silversea through normal channels. The OP has messaged their TA and has asked for any other suggestions. It seems to me that the suggestion of contacting Barbara Muckermann either via email or through Facebook is a an added way of getting it resolved which may not apply to everyone. 

Edited by turtlemichael

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Suffice to say that even if your original flight is sold out, there is daily AA service to SCL from both Dallas and Miami, with three times a week service from JFK.  Perhaps it will not be as convenient a routing, but there are other AA options out there. 

Also, since SS hasn't paid for the air tickets yet, there may be other options — either through SS Air or on your own. Delta has a flight from Atlanta, and United has a flight from Houston. Perhaps they could put you on one of those alternate flights, or you could do so on your own and get a credit back from SS.

If you could get on one of those flights, or your original flight, but in economy instead of business class, that's obviously not what you'd want — but would would you cancel your entire trip over getting bumped from business class seats one way? I'd be frustrated, and would probably plan to use my day in Santiago to sleep, but I'd still go!

2 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

If you could get on one of those flights, or your original flight, but in economy instead of business class, that's obviously not what you'd want — but would would you cancel your entire trip over getting bumped from business class seats one way? I'd be frustrated, and would probably plan to use my day in Santiago to sleep, but I'd still go!

There was a recent thread somewhere here on CC, where a fellow had a flight cancelled as he was flying to the cruise.  The airline offered him an alternative routing, but it was in coach instead of business.  He turned it down, and consequently had a mechanical the next day for his "business class" flight.  Missed the cruise entirely.

Somewhere I learned, years ago, about the concept of "bird in hand" vs "two in the bush".

8 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Also, since SS hasn't paid for the air tickets yet, there may be other options — either through SS Air or on your own. Delta has a flight from Atlanta, and United has a flight from Houston. Perhaps they could put you on one of those alternate flights, or you could do so on your own and get a credit back from SS.

As someone who NEVER flies business, and still has incredible cruises, I can attest you CAN and WILL survive in the back of the plane...  So, compromise,  The Premium Economy  ( not Comfort +) on United or DL are 2-2 config. The seats are like domestic FC.  Not terrible.  Plus, getting to relax and refresh at the Mandarin Oriental with its fantastic outdoor space, lounging and napping!! Book and extra night!

Thank you for the responses, positive and not.  I'll wait for the response from my TA.  I'm assuming that I can get my business class payment refunded and switch to coach.  Unfortunately, I fly from STL and the via MIA option includes a 13 hour layover in MIA so I need to go through DFW on AA or fly DL which SS refused originally.  I'll give it a week and see what SS says.  I like what Kimanjo says.  I'll report back after I get this resolved one way or the other in case it happens to others.

6 minutes ago, caradara said:

Thank you for the responses, positive and not.  I'll wait for the response from my TA.  I'm assuming that I can get my business class payment refunded and switch to coach.  Unfortunately, I fly from STL and the via MIA option includes a 13 hour layover in MIA so I need to go through DFW on AA or fly DL which SS refused originally.  I'll give it a week and see what SS says.  I like what Kimanjo says.  I'll report back after I get this resolved one way or the other in case it happens to others.

When we did our Antarctica last November 2021, we flew MEM-DFW-SCL on AA.  It too, has Premium Econ, as well as Comfort + and regular coach.  We flew United, home from SCL-IAH-MEM.  We are normally DL flyers ( since waaaay back when MEM was a hub).  All products are fine.  The destination makes it all worth it!!!

Also in Nov 2019, we did a Seabourn coastal Expedition Chile and Peru cruise.  We flew DL that year to SCL.  And we booked our own transfer to Santiago from the port. You can find transfers to Valparaiso as well.

Edited by kimanjo

4 hours ago, kimanjo said:

When we did our Antarctica last November 2021, we flew MEM-DFW-SCL on AA.  It too, has Premium Econ, as well as Comfort + and regular coach.  We flew United, home from SCL-IAH-MEM.  We are normally DL flyers ( since waaaay back when MEM was a hub).  All products are fine.  The destination makes it all worth it!!!

Also in Nov 2019, we did a Seabourn coastal Expedition Chile and Peru cruise.  We flew DL that year to SCL.  And we booked our own transfer to Santiago from the port. You can find transfers to Valparaiso as well.

May I ask: Were you able to arrange the Premium Economy seats with SS or did you book on your own? If with SS, how did that process work?

Edited by mchell810

2 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

May I ask: Were you able to arrange the Premium Economy seats with SS or did you book on your own? If with SS, how did that process work?

We did it on our own.  I am a different type, I feel MORE comfortable booking air on my own.  I can check often ( daily? yes, I am obsessive) for changes, better seats, price paid, etc...

I also plan to fly in any destination, at leas 2 full days ahead, and sometimes 3 depending.

A lot of people feel the cruise line handle it.. Not me.

I stressed myself out for nothing.  My travel agent got the flights switched to business class via Dallas and it is a perfect schedule for now.  I jumped the gun!  Thank you for all of the advice and suggestions.  

I also check it at least weekly as I have the record locator.  

We have always done our own air, hotel, transfers in the past but this seemed simpler just in case the cruise gets cancelled due to Covid or any other reason.  Since they bought the Endeavor this will be the last cruise (November) until March for the Explorer so perhaps it will get cancelled.  

Much relief.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

We did it on our own.  I am a different type, I feel MORE comfortable booking air on my own.  I can check often ( daily? yes, I am obsessive) for changes, better seats, price paid, etc...

I also plan to fly in any destination, at leas 2 full days ahead, and sometimes 3 depending.

A lot of people feel the cruise line handle it.. Not me.

Thanks for responding.  I, too, prefer to be in control of my bookings and obsessively check the status; however, now that I am traveling mostly on my own there are some places were I feel better letting SS take care of me.  Yet, now that their BC costs are going up I may just return to my habits and go it alone.

Edited by mchell810

1 hour ago, mchell810 said:

At least for us flying MIA-SCL-MIA last December, SS refused to book Premium Economy seats--only Economy or Business, and none of the latter were available.

Edited by taxatty

18 minutes ago, taxatty said:

At least for us flying MIA-SCL-MIA last December, SS refused to book Premium Economy seats--only Economy or Business, and none of the latter were available.

Thanks, I assumed that would be the case. Ofc, if/when the situation arrives I will ask anyway.

My big beef with SSAir are the last minute switcheroos. We go months thinking we have certain flights and then, at the last minute, always after the cancellation deadline has passed, the original flights disappear with no explanation. Since early this year when we booked our Rome to Venice cruise, the  return flight from Venice to Dallas was routed through Atlanta. 5 hour connection time. Now 6 weeks before we leave, the return flight has changed to a JFK routing with only a 90-min connection time. No explanation but SSAir will book the same flight our friends are on through Philly if I fork over an additional $1500 pp. Both the ATL and JFK flights are on Delta. And the ATL flight I was bumped from still shows as active on the Delta website. So who has their hand in my wallet?  

I've already warned my TA that if we miss the connection at JFK, the last Delta flight to Dallas that evening no less, I'm cancelling a LIS-BCN SS cruise next March as well as a SS Galapagos/Machu Picchu trip next September. I'll stay at home instead of forking over tens of thousands of dollars to be made a fool.     

Edited by Desperate to Sail
grammar

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

now that I am traveling mostly on my own there are some places were I feel better letting SS take care of me. 

Curious where it might be that the place determines if you go with SS air or not.  And just what it is that "feels better"?

1 hour ago, Desperate to Sail said:

I'll stay at home instead of forking over tens of thousands of dollars to be made a fool.     

I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone read the fine print at the bottom of this webpage:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-air-program.html

Go into the terms and conditions and find out just what you are and are not buying.  For example:  (all are direct quotes)

-=-=-=-=-=-

Silversea may choose to withdraw or modify Air Program’s airfares at any time without advance notice.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Silversea’s ability to offer air service from specific gateway cities is limited to airline scheduling and the availability of negotiated airfares. Airfares negotiated by Silversea may limit your ability to exchange, endorse or make changes to air tickets. Silversea reserves the right to select the applicable air carrier, routing and layover as required

-=-=-=-=-=-

Included Economy Class and specially priced Business Class roundtrip airfares are available to guests opting to book the Silversea Air Program. Such airfares are capacity controlled, limited to select gateways, air carriers and routings of Silversea’s choosing.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Airfares may be revised upwards or downwards at any time prior to flight booking, are limited to certain classes of service as specified by each airline partner contract, are subject to availability, and may not apply during holiday periods. Business and/or First Class upgrades are guaranteed on the intercontinental / transoceanic flights only, and are subject to availability of select carriers.

-=-=-=-=-=-

In providing air arrangements, Silversea acts only as an agent on the guest’s behalf and does not operate, control or supervise any airline and will not be held responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules whether or not air schedules / tickets were issued by Silversea

-=-=-=-=-=-

Need I say anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1