3rd Rock Slide in Skagway possible Closure of Port

Wennfred

For those heading into Alaska like me, Skagway had its 3rd Rockslide in 1 week, so some cruise lines might be skipping this port of call. Keep an eye out for an updated email on this port.

Check Don's Family Vacations Video on Youtube as he just posted about this.

Fred

I had already cancelled an excursion there for this coming week but now I don't think we will even Tender out there.  I will be there this coming Saturday, will keep you guys posted.

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

I had already cancelled an excursion there for this coming week but now I don't think we will even Tender out there.  I will be there this coming Saturday, will keep you guys posted.

Fred

I'm in Seattle now as well for the Spirit cruise tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I’m berthed at the dock now, on Celebrity Soltice, away from the slide areas. We have to tender from the docked ship to another area. There are 2 other berths away from the affected dock, with Princess and HAL ships. So they can dock up to 3 ships now safely.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rj59 said:

I’m berthed at the dock now, on Celebrity Soltice, away from the slide areas. We have to tender from the docked ship to another area. There  2 other berths away from the affected dock, with Princess and HAL ships. So they can dock up to 3 ships now safely.

Thank you. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022/08/09/landslides-close-dock-cause-cruise-stop-cancellations-in-skagway/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wennfred said:

For those heading into Alaska like me, Skagway had its 3rd Rockslide in 1 week, so some cruise lines might be skipping this port of call. Keep an eye out for an updated email on this port.

Check Don's Family Vacations Video on Youtube as he just posted about this.

Fred

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022/08/09/landslides-close-dock-cause-cruise-stop-cancellations-in-skagway/

• Like 1

So people understand, there are 4 docks in Skagway. Only one is closed. One is now just a tender dock, as it is behind the one that is closed. The other two are open and fine. Skagway is NOT closed. There has been MUCH confusion as to this on multiple sites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

So people understand, there are 4 docks in Skagway. Only one is closed. One is now just a tender dock, as it is behind the one that is closed. The other two are open and fine. Skagway is NOT closed. There has been MUCH confusion as to this on multiple sites

Mahalo

5 hours ago, Wennfred said:

Fred

At a minimum do the white pass railroad. It’s a must do- prioritize it over every other activity on your trip.

1 hour ago, wazzu_coug said:

At a minimum do the white pass railroad. It’s a must do- prioritize it over every other activity on your trip.

There were some issues with Canada and the White Pass Railroad, so they shut it down for a while.

Will do the train ride next year.

I keep an eye on the excursions offered. In the past when a port was going to be changed the excursions disappeared from the web page faster than David Copperfield. 

They are still being sold for the Aug 22 Spirit departure. 

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I keep an eye on the excursions offered. In the past when a port was going to be changed the excursions disappeared from the web page faster than David Copperfield. 

They are still being sold for the Aug 22 Spirit departure. 

Yes, it appears to affect the big ships only

Below is a link to the updated information for Skagway. The Carnival ships are small enough to use the Ore Dock, so shouldn’t be affected or have to tender. 

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/skagway_visitor_department/page/33137/aug_5_2022_update_skagway_cruise_ship_schedule.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0RmSq_aZ3PfkfX1eeTVKjoz3dsMeZx6auBicjL6vxKu6JqQ8ahHv-K3QQ

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1