Shuttle to Miami Cruise port from FLL

ddlb

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale FLL airport the night before Our MSC Seashore cruise and would really appreciate a hotel recommendation that offers a free shuttle from the airport. In addition could somebody please recommend a shuttle service that either picks up at the hotel and shuttles to the Miami cruise port or shuttles from FLL to the Miami port. Thanks  

On 8/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, shipgeeks said:

SAS Transportation (rideSAS) does pickups at various hotels around FL.  Check their website before choosing a hotel.  We have found them reliable and inexpensive.

I heartily agree.  SAS is very very awesome.  Reasonable, and reliable.  

I am going to be honest, having done the Miami - Ft Lauderdale thing many times.  There are some decent shuttle service companies with reasonable prices.  But they generally operate large vans that pick-up from more than one hotel and drop at more than one pier.  For us, the easy solution is to simply use Uber or Lyft.  For two persons the price is not outrageous (when compared to paying for two on a shuttle), there is no waiting for pick-ups, and you get taken directly to your ship without sometimes having to stop at 2 or 3 other piers.   The price for Uber is usually around $40 - $45 for the entire vehicle although that price does vary with surge pricing.  For those who have AMEX Gold or Platinum you would get $10 back...making an Uber less expensive than most shuttle services.

We actually will often book a Ft Lauderdale hotel, when cruising out of Miami, because the hotel is less expensive, and we have a favorite restaurant just off 17th street in Lauderdale.  And given the cost of transportation from MIA into the city (more expensive than FLL into Ft Lauderdale) it just makes sense.

Hank

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to be honest, having done the Miami - Ft Lauderdale thing many times.  There are some decent shuttle service companies with reasonable prices.  But they generally operate large vans that pick-up from more than one hotel and drop at more than one pier.  For us, the easy solution is to simply use Uber or Lyft.  For two persons the price is not outrageous (when compared to paying for two on a shuttle), there is no waiting for pick-ups, and you get taken directly to your ship without sometimes having to stop at 2 or 3 other piers.   The price for Uber is usually around $40 - $45 for the entire vehicle although that price does vary with surge pricing.  For those who have AMEX Gold or Platinum you would get $10 back...making an Uber less expensive than most shuttle services.

We actually will often book a Ft Lauderdale hotel, when cruising out of Miami, because the hotel is less expensive, and we have a favorite restaurant just off 17th street in Lauderdale.  And given the cost of transportation from MIA into the city (more expensive than FLL into Ft Lauderdale) it just makes sense.

Hank

I really like your advice. Would you mind telling me which hotel you pick if you have a favorite one. To be truthful I have never used Uber or Lyft. I’ve always been kind of nervous about it. This would be a good time to test it out!  I also like the SAS idea too. 

We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Fort Lauderdale airport when we flew into FLL for Miami cruise.

It was fine for quick overnight before going to Miami port in the morning.

Used our Hilton points for room and the shuttle from airport was very easy to catch.

Airport shuttle is free. no one else was on the shuttle when we took it. 

Because of Covid, we arranged car service to Miami port.

he did a great job. picked us up at hotel and dropped us at MSC tents within an hour.

There are many options to get to Miami port that do not require you to take large shuttle bus, that stops at hotels.

6 hours ago, ddlb said:

I really like your advice. Would you mind telling me which hotel you pick if you have a favorite one. To be truthful I have never used Uber or Lyft. I’ve always been kind of nervous about it. This would be a good time to test it out!  I also like the SAS idea too. 

'To use Uber and/or Lyft you do need a working Smartphone.  I mention this because some of my HAL friends do not believe in smartphones :).  I actually find Uber/Lyft better than taxis.  You know, in advance, the price, generally pay via pre-registered credit card, and there is a record.   As to hotels, we have most often stayed at the Embassy Suites just off 17th Street in Ft Lauderdale.  This hotel is very popular with cruisers although the hotel does have its issues (the rooms need renovated).   The reason we often choose this hotel is because we like to dine at Kelly's Landing which is a basic seafood restaurant in that neighborhood.  At Kelly's landing I can get excellent New England Clam Chowder and the restaurant has live Maine Lobster among lots of other excellent seafood.   There are several other hotels in that same neighborhood.  

I should have mentioned that have previously used SAS and they do a good job.  But we waited around the hotel lobby for about 15 min until our van arrived, and then stopped at 2 other hotels before heading to the Port of Miami.  Once at Miami we were unlucky and our ship was the last to be visited by the van.   The last time we looked the cost for 2 with SAS is $30.  The last time we took Uber is was about $32 (the price is probably now about $40).  With Uber or Lyft we simply summon a ride when we are ready to go (not on some kind of schedule) and the car usually arrives within 5 min.  We are then on our way directly to our ship.  Another advantage is that in this COVID ear we are not big fans of being packed into a van with a group of other folks.

I should add that when we cruise out of Port Everglades we generally just grab a taxi (or Uber) from hotel to the port.  It actually costs less than some of the transfer services, is faster, goes when we want to go, and we avoid being packed (like sardines) into a transfer van or mini-bus.    Stand around the lobby of Embassy Suites on a Saturday or Sunday morning and you will usually see crowds of folks just waiting and waiting for their shuttle.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our recent Seashore cruise, we flew into FLL and spent the night near the airport.  I used Infinity Transportation out of Fort Lauderdale.   They obviously have different kind of services but we chose their chauffeur service.  We had the Chevy Suburban/Lincoln MKT to ourselves.   It was seamless and professional.   I won't say it was inexpensive but I would use them again in a heartbeat.   

Jiffy Jeff employs professional/commercially licensed/insured drivers and you are in large newer and well maintained Mercedes Sprinter vans...I am not going back to ride share for FLL to MIA...even if the Pros' cost twice as much.

Uber/Lyft drivers have basic license and in south Florida you can get some slapped out high mileage poorly maintained vehicles with weird smells.

Florida Man memes exist for a reason!

How many Uber/Lyft vehicles have you been in South Florida with both check engine and airbag warning lights?!?!

2-5 miles in Miami or other inner city, I will risk it....FLL to MIA not again!

Good Luck!

On 8/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, NMsunset said:

Jiffy Jeff employs professional/commercially licensed/insured drivers and you are in large newer and well maintained Mercedes Sprinter vans...I am not going back to ride share for FLL to MIA...even if the Pros' cost twice as much.

Uber/Lyft drivers have basic license and in south Florida you can get some slapped out high mileage poorly maintained vehicles with weird smells.

Florida Man memes exist for a reason!

How many Uber/Lyft vehicles have you been in South Florida with both check engine and airbag warning lights?!?!

2-5 miles in Miami or other inner city, I will risk it....FLL to MIA not again!

Good Luck!

I do digress!  We have had more than our experience with Uber/Lyft in Southeast Florida and always with excellent results.  All the cars that have picked us up were clean and seemed to be in good condition (better than many of the taxis we have used).  The drivers have have varied from very friendly (and talkative) to quiet (often because they lack lots of English skills).  Folks should be aware that there is a huge Hispanic community in South Florida so you can get drivers (with Uber/Lyft or a taxi) that are far more fluent in Spanish than English).  They can be terrific drivers but may not engage in conversation (unless you speak Spanish).  

One issue we have experienced (several times) with south Florida taxis is that some drivers will try to rip-off customers.  This is easy to do with cruisers/tourists who are not familiar with the region (we used to live near Ft Lauderdale so do know the area).  A 1 mile drive from hotel to cruise port can turn into a 4 mile ride!  Sometimes this is justified because of traffic avoidance, but other times it is just a way to run up the meter!  With Uber/Lyft you will know the cost before you make a commitment and payment is handled through your pre-arranged account so no need to pay the driver.  Also keep in mind that when you use Uber/Lyft you have the opportunity to see the rating (by previous customers) of the driver.  If you get a driver with a low rating than you can immediately cancel the ride and seek another option or driver.  We generally avoid any driver with less than a 4.0 rating and feel more comfortable when we get a driver with a rating over 4.5.

Hank