Any experience with Covid onboard?

KevintheIrishDJ

As Captain Johannes says Covid is always with us and they expect cases on every cruise.  We had a mini break out last week, around 7 cases a day in its peak but back to zero quickly and no changes to our experience other than we were asked (not mandated) to wear masks (99% compliance) and extra shows were put on so we could have space in the theatre.  So no big deal, you are never going to sail with zero covid

• Like 6

2 hours ago, uktog said:

As Captain Johannes says Covid is always with us and they expect cases on every cruise.  We had a mini break out last week, around 7 cases a day in its peak but back to zero quickly and no changes to our experience other than we were asked (not mandated) to wear masks (99% compliance) and extra shows were put on so we could have space in the theatre.  So no big deal, you are never going to sail with zero covid

Thanks

18 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks. Could you please explain how from having 7 cases a day then it was zero COVID? After having had COVID myself, I have only tested negative 12 days after the first day of symptoms. As long as I was positive, I had COVID,  with symptoms the first 4 days and without them afterwards. Testing positive meant that I could still infect others.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks. Could you please explain how from having 7 cases a day then it was zero COVID? After having had COVID myself, I have only tested negative 12 days after Symptoms. As long as I was positive, I had COVID with symptoms the first 4 days and without them afterwards. Testing positive meant that I could still infect others.

Ivi

Zero new cases.  Azamara only release from quarantine after five days and after a clear test. I think all are released after seven.  Whatever the timeline trust the cruiseline to determine when it’s safe to let people return to circulation 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks. Could you please explain how from having 7 cases a day then it was zero COVID? After having had COVID myself, I have only tested negative 12 days after the first day of symptoms. As long as I was positive, I had COVID,  with symptoms the first 4 days and without them afterwards. Testing positive meant that I could still infect others.

Ivi

Passengers left. Then a new cruise started. So far on this cruise ( 4 days in) no reported cases, but lots of coughing and some sneezing. So who knows what will happen going forward. Captain Johannes is very forthcoming. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Leo_On_Geo said:

Passengers left. Then a new cruise started. So far on this cruise ( 4 days in) no reported cases, but lots of coughing and some sneezing. So who knows what will happen going forward. Captain Johannes is very forthcoming. 

I think Edinburgh will have presented a challenge anyway given the crowds and the influx of guests from around the world roaming the streets.  I know the local health board is a little concerned about the potential for a mini surge amongst the natives in the coming week or two.  But I am sure Azamara will keep a close eye and Captain will keep everyone well informed.  Lets hope guests do the decent thing and roll up for testing if they have any symptoms, its extremely selfish not to.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leo_On_Geo said:

Really appreciate how Captain Johannes does things.  And how accessible he is. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Partaking in the mini(?) outbreak on Quest, I can give you more details. There were 50 cases in all. The breakout happened shortly after the shore excursion on the Flam RR. We were fully vaccinated and boosted, tested before joined cruise, hand sanitized and wore masks. The excursion was crowded and a likely spreader. We first self-tested which was positive and then called to be tested by the medical staff. We isolated to our rooms for 5 days, our only human contact was with Hazmat Man who delivered food to us. We were given bags to bag our trash and our used towels. Guest relations called us every day to see if we needed anything. The medical staff supplied some OTC medication to deal with the symptoms. After 5 days, we were tested again and were negative and escaped. Our room was thoroughly stripped and aired out and we continued on our cruise. Not the experience we were looking for but we survived. When we escaped, we noticed a lot more people wearing masks. Those that tested positive towards the end of the cruise and were ending their cruise, disembarked like everyone else as there were no restrictions in Amsterdam.

• Like 7

We are on Pursuit right now on the second of two sea days before arriving in Copenhagen tomorrow. There has been no mention of Covid throughout the entire trip (unlike on our Norway Intensive cruise on Quest starting on 25 July). Curiously, for the first time since day 1, staff have been serving diners at the buffet in Windows instead of guests helping themselves. I wonder whether there is something that they aren’t telling us, e.g. a small Covid outbreak.

• Like 1

I think all this emphasises a need for a standard fleet wide approach to Covid communications - preferably one based on the Captain Johannes Openness model.  Biggersn highlights why - guests are not stupid, they know something is up when a change is made like they talk about - so be open and tell them. Silly of those on Pursuit to hide when something is up in my view.  I would be asking the Hotel Director for the reasons if I was onboard.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think all this emphasises a need for a standard fleet wide approach to Covid communications - preferably one based on the Captain Johannes Openness model.  Biggersn highlights why - guests are not stupid, they know something is up when a change is made like they talk about - so be open and tell them. Silly of those on Pursuit to hide when something is up in my view.  I would be asking the Hotel Director for the reasons if I was onboard.

I did ask at Guest Relations and the fellow said they he wasn’t aware of any outbreaks. He rang Windows and was told that it was the decision of the maître d ‘. This begs the question of why the maître d’ made this decision, so I still don’t have a satisfactory answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, biggersn said:

We are on Pursuit right now on the second of two sea days before arriving in Copenhagen tomorrow. There has been no mention of Covid throughout the entire trip (unlike on our Norway Intensive cruise on Quest starting on 25 July). Curiously, for the first time since day 1, staff have been serving diners at the buffet in Windows instead of guests helping themselves. I wonder whether there is something that they aren’t telling us, e.g. a small Covid outbreak.

I remember serving always being the first few days when we first started sailing Azamara.  In 2019 on a B4B I don’t remember ever being able to serve myself at lunch, at least not entrees.  I remember having to ask someone to serve oatmeal as I left my asbestos fingers at home! 

• Like 1

I have to say that I understand the reasoning behind serving dinners à la carte rather than buffet style (to reduce the risk of spreading Covid), but I still prefer the buffet dinners- I like getting a little bit of a few items. On two occasions on Pursuit there were buffet dinners - a Nordic buffet (the medium rare roast lamb was amazing) and the White Night dinner which was held inside due to the cool weather and the fact that we were at sea. On the latter occasion, we were served by the staff rather than helping ourselves.

2 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

On the Onward in June, Windows breakfast was buffet-style, but dinners were served with a themed ala carte menu all 18 days.

We enjoyed this also, on Quest.  We had a delightful little server from the Philippines at dinner.

• Like 1