Carnival Splendor and rodents

Goldshep

11 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Is that the only piece of clothing with "chew" marks?  It sounded in your post like there were multiple.  And looking at the one photo, it doesn't look like animal chew marks to me, it looks burned, like maybe cigarette burn or leaning against something hot.  

That's what it looks like to me too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Mostly because of people like you, I wipe down the drawers (and all shelves) with Clorox wipes, dry them, then use tissue paper or gift-wrapping paper (cheap brown roll from the Dollar Store, like butcher paper) as drawer/shelf liners.  My clean clothes never actually touch the insides of the drawers. 

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone doing that before.

Exactly what diseases can you catch by having your clothes touch the insides of drawers?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, staceyglow said:

We have always put our dirty clothes in an empty suitcase that is under the bed. I assumed everyone else did that as well. 

We bring a large garbage bag and put them in there and spin it to twist it shut and throw it in one of the closets that we aren't using. 

One other thing I always do, last night I dump everything out on the bed and shake each piece (like snap it) before I pack it to make sure no little buggyboos come home with me just in case! LOL

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Wow.  I have never heard of anyone doing that before.

Exactly what diseases can you catch by having your clothes touch the insides of drawers?

Exactly where did I say I do this to avoid catching diseases?

• Like 1

Just now, staceyglow said:

So why then?  I am just curious.

Because I don't want my clean clothes in the same drawer that others before me have used as their dirty laundry hamper.  Or shoe drawer.  Or garbage can.  Or for God knows what other filthy purpose.  I don't want my clean underwear (or any of my belongings) to rub up against the residue left behind by someone else's dirty underwear, etc. 

It's the same reason that I don't use the same laundry baskets at home for clean as well as dirty clothes.  Clean laundry only in the "clean" baskets.  Dirty laundry only in hampers and "dirty" baskets.  Admittedly, I'm a little bit of a clean-freak.  But I'm OK with being that way.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Because I don't want my clean clothes in the same drawer that others before me have used as their dirty laundry hamper.  Or shoe drawer.  Or garbage can.  Or for God knows what other filthy purpose.  I don't want my clean underwear (or any of my belongings) to rub up against the residue left behind by someone else's dirty underwear, etc. 

It's the same reason that I don't use the same laundry baskets at home for clean as well as dirty clothes.  Clean laundry only in the "clean" baskets.  Dirty laundry only in hampers and "dirty" baskets.  Admittedly, I'm a little bit of a clean-freak.  But I'm OK with being that way.

Haha, yea I am the same way. I don't want my clean underwear touching skid marks left by others in the drawer. 

We each have different solutions to the same problem. I don't want to lug cleaning supplies (an issue if I am flying to the port) and clean on vacation (heck I don't want to clean when I am home). So, I just leave my clean cloths in my backpack and my dirty cloths in the drawer. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Haha, yea I am the same way. I don't want my clean underwear touching skid marks left by others in the drawer. 

We each have different solutions to the same problem. I don't want to lug cleaning supplies (an issue if I am flying to the port) and clean on vacation (heck I don't want to clean when I am home). So, I just leave my clean cloths in my backpack and my dirty cloths in the drawer. 

And I don't want to live out of my suitcases for a week (I pack a lot).  You're right - same issue, pretty much opposite solutions.  But they each work for each of us.🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

If you call their number, 800-764-7419, option #3 is to speak to the guest care dept. after a cruise.

Sorry, that did not work. Rep said I must email any post cruise issues to Guestcare@Carnival. You also get a automatic response saying it can be 30 days for response. In my case it was 27 days, they called me. The call came across my caller ID as spam so I didn’t answer it. They left a message (with no direct return number) and sent a email indicating they had called. E-mailed back to prompt another call. After weeks I finally spoke with a rep. and they said they’d let the ship know and made a offer of $25 OBC to use on a future cruise. I asked for the concern to be escalated and he said he would, but emailed the following day that no additional escalation was necessary. Based on my conversation with the rep. it didn’t seem like he totally grasped my concerns, or perhaps he was overwhelmed.  That is why I posted here to share this disgustingly gross occurrence. Not here to debate how clothes are stored whether clean or dirty. I’m just sharing what happened to us and how Carnival failed us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Are you suggesting the OP make up a story and post online just to get back at Carnival? That seems petty, childish and a good way to be sued.

No, not at all.  Just saying if a company chooses to treat its customers in a certain unfair way, maybe they should be treated just as unfairly and they will stop with the nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Isn't that what insurance is for? Or are you suggesting the rats are Carnival employees?

The cruise lines insurance should cover it, not yours.  Why should you have to insure anything against a large company’s negligence?  They said there was something missing from the vent where the rodents got in.  

1 minute ago, ALKID said:

The cruise lines insurance should cover it, not yours.  Why should you have to insure anything against a large company’s negligence?  They said there was something missing from the vent where the rodents got in.  

If the cruise line was negligent (doubtful), then prove it. I have yet to see proof of rodents. Where are the pictures of a rodent in the cabin? Rodents are hardly ninjas. Where is the recording of their voices and other noises?

Just now, ALKID said:

In this day and age, you can say just about anything and half the people will believe it.  Maybe it was a colony of bed bugs and not a rat that ruined the clothes due to the companies negligence of an improper vent cover and improper cleaning, inspection etc.  I am sure some inspection of the cabin is a requirement of the daily housekeeping duties.

That is more an indictment of half the people than a cruise line.

2 minutes ago, ALKID said:

They said there was something missing from the vent where the rodents got in.  

Did they see the rodents using this vent?  And, being someone who lives in a 200 year old house that backs up to woods, I have quite a bit of experience with rodents (both mice and rats), and the damage looks more like a chemical burn than a rodent chew.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

I have yet to see proof of rodents.

Rats are a bit different, but mice tend to leave poop right where they eat, or chew things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

If the cruise line was negligent (doubtful), then prove it. I have yet to see proof of rodents. Where are the pictures of a rodent in the cabin? Rodents are hardly ninjas. Where is the recording of their voices and other noises?

There was a vent cover missing and its likely the passengers did not gnaw through the clothes.

8 minutes ago, ALKID said:

Sorry, I will go with the people that were there, and actually had to show a picture of the vent because someone said it did not exist

You may want to brush up on reading comprehension.  I never said the vent didn't exist, I said I wasn't sure what it could be, and stated that it definitely was not an AC vent as the OP suggested it might be, knowing how ship's AC systems are built.

But, again, you answered the question "is there proof of rodents" by saying that "there was a missing vent cover", but the vent cover being off is not proof of rodents, unless of course the passengers saw the rodents taking the cover off.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, ALKID said:

Stop stalking me.  This is getting weird.  

ALKID, Do you understand who chengkp is, and why he is pursuing the answer to your situation? FYI, he is chief engineer with a lifetime career on ships.  He knows a few things.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Splendor was in Australia for 2 years during the Covid shutdown, but not cruising with passengers. It arrived in Seattle in late April for the Alaska cruise season. I was on the May 2 sailing, which was the first cruise with passengers in over 2 years for Splendor. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-splendor-heading-to-north-america-more-australia-sailings-canceled/65352

actually Australia had NO ships at all for two years NOne, Nada, Zero.  I don't know where Carnival Splendor was but it wasnt Australia. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-18/first-cruise-ship-for-two-years-docks-in-sydney/100996860