Questions for Getaway fans - New cruised on this ship

Lakesregion

It has been 16 years since I have taken a NCL cruise. I have booked a solo on The Getaway from NYC and have the following questions

1. Do they still service the staterooms twice a day?

2. Is there still turn down and chocolate on the pillow

3 Is there a promenade deck for walking? not sure if I can see one on the deck plans

4. Is there afternoon tea?

5. I notice mention of a midnight buffet. What are the details on that item, Is it daily?

6. Is there lunch served on boarding day in NYC and if so what times and where?

7. Is there a formal sail-a-way party out of NYC?

8. Any special meetings or events for solo passengers?

9. Which restaurants are open for lunch when the ship is in a port?

Thanks for all your help.

Chocolates on the pillow went many years ago. Not seen afternoon tea either (although it isn't something that would interest me, so I may have just missed it).

The Getaway has the Waterfront (deck 8 ) which is one of the best promenade decks.

There will be a solo meet up in the studio lounge, which anyone can attend even if you aren't in a studio.

There will be lunch served on boarding day. I'm not sure which restaurant, but it will be shown in the freestyle daily.

I'm not sure about a dining room being open for lunch. Since the restart after covid it seems to depend on the ship/

Based on my experience on other ships in the class I'll try to be as accurate as possible.

34 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

My room on the Joy in March was visited 2x a day

34 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Turn down is one of the visits, never a chocolate in my 3 cruises on NCL.

35 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

3 Is there a promenade deck for walking? not sure if I can see one on the deck plans

Deck 8 is The Waterfront.  There's a "jogging track" called out on deck 16.

36 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Buffet, one of the MDRs (Taste or Savor, possibly both if demand is high enough) and O'Sheehan's

38 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Nightly solo gathering.  This is one of the great things NCL does for solo travelers.  The first one will have a bar location so those not in the studio area can be guided to the studio area and shown where to enter the lounge (they will prop a door open since the studio are is card-access only for those staying there).

21 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

One more question - Are there any restrictions for a solo diner in any of the restaurants or can one make a reservation for one is the specialty places and just show up in the free ones?

I'm confused by the way this is worded.  If you won't make use of your reservation it would be appropriate to inform the venue so they can give the table away to someone else.

You would make a reservation for two as the smallest tables seat two so you'd just get one of those.  If you're going to be active in the solo gathering you could always book a table for 4 and invite others to join you, this is how I ended up dining with a fun group of folks a couple times on my first NCL cruise.

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'm confused by the way this is worded.  If you won't make use of your reservation it would be appropriate to inform the venue so they can give the table away to someone else.

You would make a reservation for two as the smallest tables seat two so you'd just get one of those.  If you're going to be active in the solo gathering you could always book a table for 4 and invite others to join you, this is how I ended up dining with a fun group of folks a couple times on my first NCL cruise.

I enjoy dining alone sometimes and find trying to meet up on a daily basis takes up too much of my time. Plus I am a solo straight male and have in the past found that to be a turn off for sharing with groups or couples. So I prefer many times to dine alone and not in the buffet. So, can I dine as a solo in the paid specialty places? And can I simply show up at the door of the free places and ask to be seated by myself?

1 hour ago, Lakesregion said:

One more question - Are there any restrictions for a solo diner in any of the restaurants or can one make a reservation for one is the specialty places and just show up in the free ones?

As a solo passenger on the Getaway, I very rarely made dinner reservations.  I tend to eat early (5:30 or so), never had a problem being seated in any of the restraurants.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

4. Is there afternoon tea?

5. I notice mention of a midnight buffet. What are the details on that item, Is it daily?

7. Is there a formal sail-a-way party out of NYC?

9. Which restaurants are open for lunch when the ship is in a port?

Thanks for all your help.

1. Yes

2. No

3. There is a traditional promenade on Deck 7 with the lifeboats. And the Waterfront with sofas on Deck 8. There is also a walking/running track on Deck 15. 
4. There will be scones at the buffet in the afternoon. 
5. No midnight buffet. The late buffet closes around 11:30. 
6. Lunch on boarding day is served in the Tast Le Main Dining Room Deck 6 Mid Ship,  O’Sheehan’s  Deck 7 Midship, Garden Cafe Buffet Deck 15 Aft and American Diner (For Fee)

7. There will be a sail away party on the pool deck. But we like to be a deck higher to watch the sights of Manhattan (Port) and then the Statue of Liberty (starboard). 
8. You will see solo gatherings in the Freestule Daily. If you are in a single studio, there are meetings there too. 
9. Garden Cafe, Taste Main Dining Room, O’Sheehan’s, American Diner ($). 
10. If you are booking online exactly 120 days prior to departure, you may have to select 2 people. Specialty Dining Reservations are highly recommended, walk in are not always accommodated. No reservations are needed at the Complimentary dining venues. 

As soon as you board, go to show reservations and book your main theater shows (Burn the Floor, Million Dollar Quartet) and Comedy shows. Then go to restaurant reservations to adjust your dining time around the shows you just booked. All other shows are first come first serve. 

Edited by BirdTravels

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

1. Yes

2. No

3. There is a traditional promenade on Deck 7 with the lifeboats. And the Waterfront with sofas on Deck 8. There is also a walking/running track on Deck 15. 
6. Lunch on boarding day is served in the Tast Le Main Dining Room Deck 6 Mid Ship,  O’Sheehan’s  Deck 7 Midship, Garden Cafe Buffet Deck 15 Aft and American Diner (For Fee)

7. There will be a sail away party on the pool deck. But we like to be a deck higher to watch the sights of Manhattan (Port) and then the Statue of Liberty (starboard). 
8. You will see solo gatherings in the Freestule Daily. If you are in a single studio, there are meetings there too. 
10. If you are booking online exactly 120 days prior to departure, you may have to select 2 people. Specialty Dining Reservations are highly recommended, walk in are not always accommodated. No reservations are needed at the Complimentary dining venues. 

As soon as you board, go to show reservations and book your main theater shows (Burn the Floor, Million Dollar Quartet) and Comedy shows. Then go to restaurant reservations to adjust your dining time around the shows you just booked. All other shows are first come first serve. 

Once you book all your shows, are there a lot of time slots available at all the specialty restaurants to make needed changes to what you already reserved?

8 hours ago, hrmkr said:

Once you book all your shows, are there a lot of time slots available at all the specialty restaurants to make needed changes to what you already reserved?

If you make this a priority, yes.

Pre-pandemic, we have seen Cagney’s sold out for the entire cruise by 1:00 on embarkation day. 

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

1. Yes

2. No

Thank you. This response was the most complete, but also thanks to all who provided information. I am looking forward to the sailing. No plans to spend extra for meals as I dine out at home on a frequent basis.. Just looking forward to having to do nothing but rest and be served  in a nice place.

12 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I enjoy dining alone sometimes and find trying to meet up on a daily basis takes up too much of my time. Plus I am a solo straight male and have in the past found that to be a turn off for sharing with groups or couples. So I prefer many times to dine alone and not in the buffet. So, can I dine as a solo in the paid specialty places? And can I simply show up at the door of the free places and ask to be seated by myself?

I cruise solo often.  You can go to the MDR and request to sit alone.  They sometimes offer to put you at a table with others.  I have always declined.  I will be on the Getaway early September solo and will have be dining in a specialty dining room solo, so I will report back if there are any issues.

On 8/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, Lakesregion said:

And again two more questions.

In as much as we will be sailing out of New York does the main dining room offer a "Snowy Nova on a toasted B" on the breakfast menu?

Is there a piano bar where the pianist plays softer tunes?

I’ve been on four cruises with NCL out of NYC in the last few months, and more before that…and have never heard or seen whatever the snowy nova is. If the B is a bagel, the main dining room offers bagel with lox open faced sandwich. Personally I stick with the French toast or the eggs Benedict, while my wife prefers the eggs or a combo of oatmeal and fruit salad. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Mlake09 said:

I’ve been on four cruises with NCL out of NYC in the last few months, and more before that…and have never heard or seen whatever the snowy nova is.

Not sure about snowy...unless it's cream cheese?? I'm curious to find out what this is/where it can be ordered in the city.

Nova = where the lox must come from to be considered NY, even though Nova is Nova Scotia. 🙂

I would certainly think the B is a bagel. 

1 hour ago, Mlake09 said:

I’ve been on four cruises with NCL out of NYC in the last few months, and more before that…and have never heard or seen whatever the snowy nova is. If the B is a bagel, the main dining room offers bagel with lox open faced sandwich. Personally I stick with the French toast or the eggs Benedict, while my wife prefers the eggs or a combo of oatmeal and fruit salad. Good luck!

You basically figured it out. It is an old NYC deli term for ordering a cream cheese, nova scotia salmon on a toasted bagel. And thanks for confirming that I can get it in pieces and assemble it myself in the dining room.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not sure about snowy...unless it's cream cheese?? I'm curious to find out what this is/where it can be ordered in the city.

Nova = where the lox must come from to be considered NY, even though Nova is Nova Scotia. 🙂

I would certainly think the B is a bagel. 

In the day when millions worked in downtown NYC, it was a deli term for the fast order folks in the am to tell the kitchen someone ordered a cream cheese and nova scotia salmon on a toasted bagel.

• Like 1