Transatlantic Weather/Seastate conditions questions

We've done several TAs, but only east to west. If you are looking for calmer seas I would recommend looking at a more southerly route - one which travels via the Canary Islands and drops down there pretty quickly. Our worst weather was when we left Spain and travelled directly across without sailing further south. The weather, and the seas, were nowhere near as good as friends who were travelling at the same time on a 'parallel' but more southerly route. I would not do a northerly route on a TA if weather and seas are a consideration

2 hours ago, Bobal said:

We've done several TAs, but only east to west. If you are looking for calmer seas I would recommend looking at a more southerly route - one which travels via the Canary Islands and drops down there pretty quickly. Our worst weather was when we left Spain and travelled directly across without sailing further south. The weather, and the seas, were nowhere near as good as friends who were travelling at the same time on a 'parallel' but more southerly route. I would not do a northerly route on a TA if weather and seas are a consideration

That  has been our experience too.  Crossings that stop at the Canary Islands take a more  southerly route, as opposed to the Azores. Much more comfortable.  Recently, we have seen the big ships do a straight shot across with no stops. Haven't done one, so cannot comment on them.  We are talking the later crossings , mostly in November, which come to the southern ports. There are also the crossings around Labor day for the New England season, did one and had no issues there.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

The only generalization you can make about transatlantics is that the air temperature is mostly bound to the sea temperature.  Absent of any land masses that heat up and cool down, sea temperatures are more consistent and the air right above the sea is probably going to be very close to sea temperatures as you cross.  If you search for average sea temps in any given month you'll get an idea what the temps will be outdoors around the ship.  

In terms of rough seas or bad weather there is no trend or accurate estimate of what to expect.  

To give you an idea of the types of things that a Captain will consider when planning a crossing here are some video from Symphony's crossing in October 2018.

Time lapse to capture the effect of low period swell:

Otherwise flat seas can still have some motion in the ocean from this type of swell however not everyone is susceptible.  Some people are while other people react more to the pitching or porpoising effect of largest waves.  There are several different factors that cause different types of motion so it mostly depends what's going on during a cruise while a few days in advance or after along the same track can have very different motion.  YMMV.

Very interesting stuff Twangster !

I am the captain of a 50 foot lobster boat and we go for max trips of 4-5 days and 50 miles out....

My planning isnt quite the same , though just as important.

Watching these is definitely giving me the bug to get back out there...Very cool stuff !

• Like 1

It looks like the chance to hit really rough weather is higher during the westbound crossings in autumn due to huricane season still being quite active whereas this factor is less so during spring time. But as mentioned by others, weather is unpredictable and if someone is sensitive about motion sickness maybe a transatlantic would not be the best choice.

Can you be more specific - Northern TA crossing near Iceland/ Greenland or out of the Med past Madeira / Azores. 

Out of 27 cruises, I have only had bad weather in the Med for a few hours. It could all be place and time. 

I did EB in April and WB in September, both FL - Barcelona. 

Day 3 of 5 Sea Days, having stopped at Madeira, middle of the Atlantic, 2 days away from The Bahamas. (September WB cruise).

Wishing the same for all cruisers 

71CC5459-E179-4704-9F00-EA9511B32D9D.jpeg.c17d9f1d1e6e201e6546fbabc78f63b5.jpeg

Edited by alohayall

5 hours ago, alohayall said:

Can you be more specific - Northern TA crossing near Iceland/ Greenland or out of the Med past Madeira / Azores. 

Out of 27 cruises, I have only had bad weather in the Med for a few hours. It could all be place and time. 

I did EB in April and WB in September, both FL - Barcelona. 

Day 3 of 5 Sea Days, having stopped at Madeira, middle of the Atlantic, 2 days away from The Bahamas. (September WB cruise).

Wishing the same for all cruisers 

71CC5459-E179-4704-9F00-EA9511B32D9D.jpeg.c17d9f1d1e6e201e6546fbabc78f63b5.jpeg

Awesome photo,,, I spend my life on the ocean as a commercial fisherman ,and I appreciate the vastness and the POWER of the tiny little piece of ocean I work on more than most can understand .

I hope many of you appreciate as I do the awesomeness of what you are able to do so frequently , not just for the ships and the ports , but also to experience the most AMAZING part of Gods creation that many will never get to understand . After reading through this thread , I am convinced more than ever that I need to line up a TA for sure now. The power and unpredictability of the ocean is so unbelievablely awesome , and I need to feel the exhilaration of being in the absolute middle of 1000's of miles of nothingness , while knowing there is a whole unknown creation for sometimes miles below the surface , that so few can even comprehend .

Thank you all for your insights;

Captain

• Like 1

My husband & I have done several Transatlantic cruises, we love them! There have been smooth sailings and a few rough sailings but we don't mind them either way, although on the rougher ones, there have been several seasick guests onboard. Good luck with whatever you choose 🙂