Rome on your own shore excursion

jerseyjill

Probably someplace easier to access and park, like near the big white typewriter rather than congested Navona. Have a good map since you have a good menu of destinations where ever, but navigate around the many hills.

we took the ncl cruise to rome twice. if youre going to do rome on your own, what we did was when the ship docked, we secured a cab for the day, negotiated a price, had him drive us from the port to rome, took us to what we wanted to see, and drove us back to the ship in plenty of time

• Like 1

Agree with JohnIreland - get the train, it's super easy! Takes about an hour (or a bit less) to get to Rome, and is cheap (don't forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machine on the platform).
When I did this last time, we got off at San Pietro and had a quick look at the Vatican, then jumped onto a hoho bus and saw the sights that way.

• Like 2

If this is your first visit to Rome, I highly suggest doing a HOHO. Rome is a large city and some things are fairly far apart so trying to see "everything" will be most difficult. If you do decide on the HOHO, make the entire "loop" the first time and figure out what you want to see. Then go around again and get off at those stops. Between the time to get from the port to the city and back, I would guess you will only have time to see a limited number of sights. Good luck and I hope you love Rome as much as we do! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sixtytwo said:

If this is your first visit to Rome, I highly suggest doing a HOHO. Rome is a large city and some things are fairly far apart so trying to see "everything" will be most difficult. If you do decide on the HOHO, make the entire "loop" the first time and figure out what you want to see. Then go around again and get off at those stops. Between the time to get from the port to the city and back, I would guess you will only have time to see a limited number of sights. Good luck and I hope you love Rome as much as we do! 

Hi, no, this isn't our first trip to the eternal city. Twice before on a land trip and twice on a cruise . We've seen all the major sights many times and frankly are getting older and just want to wander around leisurely at our own pace. We really like the idea of being bussed into a particular place and just start walking. But I am hoping, as I've stated before, that the bus will not leave us far away from a central location. I've read that Piazza Navonna is busy but we loved it there in the past and look forward to just roaming the streets there. I was hoping someone could answer my post who has actually taken the NCL Epic "Rome on your own", shore excursion. We love the idea of the HOHO bus, taken it many times in any city we can find one, but I'd rather just relax on the bus from the port into Rome and see the city slowly. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

We have done it twice now..We like the fact that if there is an issue with getting back we are still on a NCL excursion. The first time we did it they dropped us off right at the Coloseum... so when we booked it in 2019 our traveling partners booked the Coloseum tour for 11.   We did the hop on hop off because I had a busted knee and did not really want to walk too much.   Well it turned out that they dropped us off at the top of the city up by the gates... cant remember what it was called. So they had to be quick to get all the way down for the tour...they made it with time to spare but it was their first time in the city so they were a little worried lol.   The first hop on spot is a fair way from the bus drop off point...well it felt like it for me with the knee...but we have been there quite a few times so there was nothing that we needed to see.  Just a walkabout and a nice lunch was all I wanted.  When we met back up to get on the bus there was a bit of a wait because one person was missing...they waited until the last minute when they showed up.    We have done the train and now we would rather have the ease of the bus..  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

We got dropped off two times, both were at a park right by the colosseum.  Plenty of cabs near by and you don't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic.

We have had that same experience in the past when doing the "Rome on your own"-excursion, drop-off/pick-up-point within short walking distance to the Collosseum.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, jerseyjill said:

Hi, no, this isn't our first trip to the eternal city. Twice before on a land trip and twice on a cruise . We've seen all the major sights many times and frankly are getting older and just want to wander around leisurely at our own pace. We really like the idea of being bussed into a particular place and just start walking. But I am hoping, as I've stated before, that the bus will not leave us far away from a central location. I've read that Piazza Navonna is busy but we loved it there in the past and look forward to just roaming the streets there. I was hoping someone could answer my post who has actually taken the NCL Epic "Rome on your own", shore excursion. We love the idea of the HOHO bus, taken it many times in any city we can find one, but I'd rather just relax on the bus from the port into Rome and see the city slowly. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Good deal! I sounds like I need to touch base with you for help if we land in Rome again! 😁 You have likely been to Trastevere but that is one of our most favorite places in Rome. Good luck on your cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time!

On 8/16/2022 at 9:48 AM, BirdTravels said:

The challenge is that Rome is not near the port and if you are not careful, you may get hung up and miss the ship’s departure. 

Yeah they should probably buy a watch, eh?   To be on the safe side?   Or a smartphone with a time display.   Adults.  

On 8/15/2022 at 9:27 PM, jerseyjill said:

The info on this shore excursion says the bus from NCL will drop you off and you’re free to roam on your own. Where to they leave you? Near any sightseeing sights? Piazza Navonna maybe ? 

When we took this tour a few years ago, the drop off / pick up point was on Via di San Gregorio, about halfway between the Colosseum and the Circus Maximus.  We spent the day walking past the Forum and visiting the Pantheon on our way to the Piazza Navona.  We toured the Castel Sant' Angelo before strolling along the Tiber and walking the length of the Circus Maximus on our way back to our bus.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:34 AM, JohnIreland said:

Get the train, it's cheaper and control your own schedule.

We did the Florence on Your Own because I had screwed up 10 years earlier and got us on a train going the wrong way, and we never made it to Florence. (Luckily DW figured it out and we got back and did end up having time to see Pisa, but not Florence.)

We took that train the second time. And it was very hot as it always is in the summer in Italy. And it was even hotter on the packed train going back. And then a fight broke out. DW said we should have paid the extra and taken a Rome on Your Own especially with the air conditioned NCL bus both ways.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, Sixtytwo said:

Good deal! I sounds like I need to touch base with you for help if we land in Rome again! 😁 You have likely been to Trastevere but that is one of our most favorite places in Rome. Good luck on your cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Hi, Don't get me wrong, we're no experts on Rome. We went with friends many, many years ago and even then I found it very difficult to walk the city. Years later, we stopped there on a cruise so we only had limited tome to sight see. We managed to get everything in between the 2 trips, but we have not been anywhere overseas since before the pandemic. I'm afraid of the walking requirements. Both hubby and I have bad knees and are a bit overweight so that's why I was asking about where we get dropped off. It sounds like if they do drop us off near the Colosseum, we'd prefer to grab a cab and take us to the Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain area. So far, that's our plan. Thx for your input!!

On 8/15/2022 at 11:36 PM, dumbth said:

Probably someplace easier to access and park, like near the big white typewriter rather than congested Navona. Have a good map since you have a good menu of destinations where ever, but navigate around the many hills.

Hi, so sorry for this question but what is the big white typewriter?

On 8/15/2022 at 11:36 PM, dumbth said:

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We did the Florence on Your Own because I had screwed up 10 years earlier and got us on a train going the wrong way, and we never made it to Florence. (Luckily DW figured it out and we got back and did end up having time to see Pisa, but not Florence.)

We took that train the second time. And it was very hot as it always is in the summer in Italy. And it was even hotter on the packed train going back. And then a fight broke out. DW said we should have paid the extra and taken a Rome on Your Own especially with the air conditioned NCL bus both ways.

The NCL Rome on Your Own bus will drop you off and pick you up near the heart of the city, close to some of the sites you likely will want to explore.  The Florence bus, however, not so much.  Because of narrow streets in the city center, the bus will let you off at a parking area about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the edge of the city center.  From there it's about another 15 minute walk to the highlight spots you'll probably want to visit.  Thus, a lot of walking and a lot of waiting for your guide to gather up all the stragglers for your return ride to the ship.  In Florence, I recommend one of the "exclusive" tours.  They cost more, but they use smaller vans which can drive into the heart of the city.  There's less walking to and from, so you get to spend more time actually touring the city.

18 hours ago, jerseyjill said:

Hi, Don't get me wrong, we're no experts on Rome. We went with friends many, many years ago and even then I found it very difficult to walk the city. Years later, we stopped there on a cruise so we only had limited tome to sight see. We managed to get everything in between the 2 trips, but we have not been anywhere overseas since before the pandemic. I'm afraid of the walking requirements. Both hubby and I have bad knees and are a bit overweight so that's why I was asking about where we get dropped off. It sounds like if they do drop us off near the Colosseum, we'd prefer to grab a cab and take us to the Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain area. So far, that's our plan. Thx for your input!!

We have been to Rome several times, some during a cruise stopover, but several times either before or after a cruise when we spent several days in Rome.  On the trip when we took the "On Your Own" bus, we had several hours in Rome.  We found it easy to stroll the city from the Colosseum to Piazza Navona, with stops along the way at the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and lunch at an outdoor cafe.  Our stroll along the Tiber to return to the bus was not rushed, and we were among the first back on the bus for the return trip.  We also are a bit overweight and have bad knees.  If you really are concerned about the walk, though, there is a Metro stop at the Colosseum and another at the Spanish Steps.  It's just a few blocks in one direction from the Spanish Steps to Piazza Navona, and a few blocks in another direction to Trevi Fountain.  A few more blocks from Navona will get you to Castel Sant' Angelo.  Take a good map and plan your route for a fun day in Rome.