Muster Drill Without App?

CChamp

In Oct we are going on the Horizon with some friends who are first time cruisers. They do not own cell phones. Is there another way for them to do the Muster Drill/Safety briefing being as they don't have the app? Thanks

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CChamp said:

Thank you all very much.

Yes, if you stop at your Muster Station before you pick up your Sign n Sail card outside your Cabin or on your way to buffet or whatever you use your Boarding Pass. Didn’t want to confuse you. Sign n Sale cards not ready until Cabins are made available so it is most likely you would use your Boarding Pass. As Schoifmom suggested. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

There is no need for the app to do the muster drill.  You will go to your assigned muster station, they will scan the bar code on your boarding pass, make sure you know how to don the life vest, and send you on your way.

We just got off the Mardi Gras... they did not show us how to don the life vest.  At most they just said the life vests are at the muster station and not in the rooms.  There were 4 of us in the group, they scanned 1 boarding pass, the rest of the party came up on their device where they just tapped each person to check us in.  The whole process was done in less than a minute.

17 minutes ago, iria64 said:

We just got off the Mardi Gras... they did not show us how to don the life vest.  At most they just said the life vests are at the muster station and not in the rooms.  There were 4 of us in the group, they scanned 1 boarding pass, the rest of the party came up on their device where they just tapped each person to check us in.  The whole process was done in less than a minute.

I always wondered why the put the life vests in the rooms.  Like everyone is going back to their room in an emergency???

The first couple of cruises we took after the restart, they demonstrated how to use it.  A couple of weeks ago, they just asked if we knew how.  I would imagine the depth of inquiry is based on the person checking you in 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I always wondered why the put the life vests in the rooms.  Like everyone is going back to their room in an emergency???

That is the protocol, actually.  Your muster station is associated with your cabin location.  They don't need everyone piling into one muster station area because it was the closest to the MDR or theater.

I suppose the thinking is it takes far, far longer for any ship to get into serious trouble than you might see on TV, so there is time to get life vests and proceed in a slightly less-chaotic fashion to your muster station to get onto a lifeboat if required.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

I had heard that they had stopped running the muster drill outside with the life jackets....as you can see, it been a minute since I cruised...lol!!!  But I never knew that all you do is basically show up to your station, have them scan your card or boarding pass and go on about your day.  That's why I love this site, it keeps me up to date 😀

• Like 2

It’s says your Muster station right on the boarding pass contract paper you print out. So no need to ask anyone nor get your sail & sign card scanned.

Show them your paper and they will direct you, once at the station they check you in and you see how to Don a life jacket and away you go.

Get it done as soon as you board, don’t be that person that they keep calling over the loud speaker.

04AE1A0A-48CB-4C80-A3EE-F1BA1C03EAD9.jpeg

Edited by Wennfred
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That is the protocol, actually.  Your muster station is associated with your cabin location.  They don't need everyone piling into one muster station area because it was the closest to the MDR or theater.

I suppose the thinking is it takes far, far longer for any ship to get into serious trouble than you might see on TV, so there is time to get life vests and proceed in a slightly less-chaotic fashion to your muster station to get onto a lifeboat if required.

Except on Mardi Gras life jackets are now next to your muster and not in stateroom. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chelle621 said:

But I never knew that all you do is basically show up to your station, have them scan your card or boarding pass and go on about your day.

All the cruiselines made this change when cruises restarted after COVID because it was no longer safe to pack people wall-to-wall at the muster stations for 15 minutes solely for a drill.  Obviously in a true emergency, spreading COVID at the muster stations still isn't as bad as drowning with the ship. 

What's supposed to happen though is you watch the safety video on the cruiseline app or cabin TV, and when you go to the muster station the crew can see on their tablet that you've done so. If you haven't, they can do the lifejacket demo in person and clear you as complete, but it sounds like some crew are getting sloppy and just clearing people regardless. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wennfred said:

It’s says your Muster station right on the boarding pass contract paper you print out. So no need to ask anyone nor get your sail & sign card scanned.

Show them your paper and they will direct you, once at the station they check you in and you see how to Don a life jacket and away you go.

Get it done as soon as you board, don’t be that person that they keep calling over the loud speaker.

04AE1A0A-48CB-4C80-A3EE-F1BA1C03EAD9.jpeg

On this last cruise about 1/2 hour before sailing they made an announcement that 9% of passengers had still not checked in at their muster station.  20 minutes later that was down to 4%.  No other announcements were made after that so I assume that 4% showed up in the last 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iria64 said:

On this last cruise about 1/2 hour before sailing they made an announcement that 9% of passengers had still not checked in at their muster station.  20 minutes later that was down to 4%.  No other announcements were made after that so I assume that 4% showed up in the last 10 minutes or so.

Carnival will cut off your S&S card after I think the first 2 drinks on embarkation day if you haven't checked in yet, so that's also an incentive for people drinking at the bar to check in.

5 minutes ago, slavigne5577 said:

We cruised on Glory June 26, 2022 and were on ship by 1:30 and were not allowed to purchase anything until completing muster.

I was cut off after 2 on my last Carnival cruise in February.  (I did plan to check in after my third but still had several hours until departure.)

Apparently they've tightened it down even more since then because people are more interested in drinking than getting their business taken care of so the ship can depart. 

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I was cut off after 2 on my last Carnival cruise in February.  (I did plan to check in after my third but still had several hours until departure.)

Apparently they've tightened it down even more since then because people are more interested in drinking than getting their business taken care of so the ship can depart. 

I guess more people cruise to drink than cruise to muster. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just got off the Radiance last week. The procedure was as follows:

1) Board with your boarding pass, it lists the muster station on it.

2) Employees in the lobby of the ship check the pass and direct you to the muster station immediately. (keep this in mind if you are carrying bags with you)

3) Go to the muster station, they gave a brief safety lesson to myself and my friend, maybe 2-3 minutes in length (how to put on a life jacket, come here in a emergency, etc.) 

4) Scanned our boarding passes and told us we were done, go to our stateroom and our cards would be in an envelope on the door.

After picking up your cards on your door you are free to roam the ship go to the bar or whatever. Very painless and much better than it used to be

• Like 2

1 hour ago, variable283 said:

Just got off the Radiance last week. The procedure was as follows:

1) Board with your boarding pass, it lists the muster station on it.

2) Employees in the lobby of the ship check the pass and direct you to the muster station immediately. (keep this in mind if you are carrying bags with you)

3) Go to the muster station, they gave a brief safety lesson to myself and my friend, maybe 2-3 minutes in length (how to put on a life jacket, come here in a emergency, etc.) 

4) Scanned our boarding passes and told us we were done, go to our stateroom and our cards would be in an envelope on the door.

After picking up your cards on your door you are free to roam the ship go to the bar or whatever. Very painless and much better than it used to be

Informative! Thank you!

9 hours ago, Wennfred said:

Note that if the cabins are not ready, you can use your paper boarding pass to make purchases as they will scan the bar code upper right corner of your sheet as well at the muster stations.

I am not sure the bar code has the correct info in it.  What they did for us is they wrote your folio number on the boarding pass.  That was one think I could not understand on the ship... with all the electronic gadgets available, no matter where we go a drink... at a bar, in a restaurant... they always wrote the folio number down and had to manually enter it their POS terminal.