Free at Sea Plus

jancl57

Can someone explain what the free at sea plus is?  We are cruising on the Encore out of Miami on Dec. 11.  Booked the cruise back in January after canceling

our March cruise due to high rates of the Omnicron variant.  

19 minutes ago, Trappedontheboat said:

I think there was a thread of it already. Basically it is a 50/day/pp charge, to have unlimited internet, additional $50 discount on the tours through NCL, Premium beverage Package and 2 additional specialty dinings. I think I mentioned everything.

Thank you.  For an additional $700 it wouldn't be worth it to us.  Thank you again for responding.

• Like 1

I find nothing on NCL website about it, but thanks to the posts here on cruise critics was able to get it added to my booking.  Phoned NCL and the person who answered my call easily added it to the booking "FASUP'.  If someone has a link to where the info is on the NCL website, please post it.

Thank You

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebhoward3 said:

I find nothing on NCL website about it, but thanks to the posts here on cruise critics was able to get it added to my booking.  Phoned NCL and the person who answered my call easily added it to the booking "FASUP'.  If someone has a link to where the info is on the NCL website, please post it.

Thank You

I do not believe they eve posted it online.

• Like 1

Just now, vince_g said:

Jeb, it is right on their home page. And there is a button there that says "learn more"

Just now, jancl57 said:

"Learn More" on the CC site or NCL site?  I couldn't find anything about it on the NCL site.

V

1 minute ago, jancl57 said:

"Learn More" on the CC site or NCL site?  I couldn't find anything about it on the NCL site.

Sorry Vince... I just saw it.  Mea culpa

Did you get the Free at Sea on your booking?  It is so worth it for anyone who enjoys having a couple of cocktails and would like to do some of the specialty dines.  Drinks are so expensive without it, you break even on what they charge per day by having just a couple drinks a day.

• Haha 1

Actually the best way to read the particulars on the FASUP package is to click the terms & conditions link on the home NCL page - the link appears at the bottom of the current offers. 
The FASUP info is about in the middle of the list right after the dining program.

We just added it to our Feb Prima cruise. 
As others have said - it’s not a deal for everyone. The cost worked for us because the shore excursions credit and the Wi-Fi upgrade. 
Hope this helps - I too spent a while searching for info!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, vince_g said:

Did you get the Free at Sea on your booking?  It is so worth it for anyone who enjoys having a couple of cocktails and would like to do some of the specialty dines.  Drinks are so expensive without it, you break even on what they charge per day by having just a couple drinks a day.

We did get the Free at Sea when we booked.  We always do.  Was asking about the Free at Sea Plus.  If that is $50 pp/per day I don't think for $700 more it would be worth it for us.  We don't use the $50 shore excursion credits and are happy with the 2 nights specialty dining.  We've never ordered an alcohol beverage that was over the $15 max.

1 hour ago, Trappedontheboat said:

It is a good deal if you are not in Haven, or want to book a lot of tours via NCL

Not trying to start anything 🙂 but why ISN'T it a good deal if you're Haven?  I realize Haven has its own restaurant but from what I've read it's the same menu every night so people might prefer to mix it up.

1 hour ago, jancl57 said:

Thank you.  For an additional $700 it wouldn't be worth it to us.  Thank you again for responding.

I always buy Internet, upgrade to all specialty meals, and like Premium Plus (for the Pellegrino and Starbucks almost as much as the upgraded booze) so this is a great deal for me: especially, as a solo traveler, at $42/day.  For the double occupants, if you do NCL excursions in each port, that also makes a nice dent in the cost.  But if you do MDR (or Haven) dining, unplug from Internet, and stick to the basic booze/soda, there's no value to FAS+.

5 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Not trying to start anything 🙂 but why ISN'T it a good deal if you're Haven?  I realize Haven has its own restaurant but from what I've read it's the same menu every night so people might prefer to mix it up.

For us, as Haven guests, it's a great deal! We were among the first to get Free at Sea Plus when it came out for our August cruise to Bermuda. But, then we cancelled our Bermuda cruise so we could rebook on a September Bermuda cruise that was almost twice as long for just a little bit more money (and the $1,000 cancellation hit we took - always get the insurance folks). 

We actually declined the Free at Sea Premium Beverage Package. We did the math. My husband doesn't drink booze at all. For both of us to get our worth out of the package, I'd have to drink 28 alcoholic drinks over nine days. That's crazy talk for me! 

Also, we're only doing two shore excursions and we do not want, or need, internet. Therefore we decided Free at Sea Plus wasn't worth it for us.

Currently we are debating on purchasing a two meal package. I'm fighting really hard not to as the Haven is such a great restaurant, even if it is the same menu every night. And, we always have the option to get room service, the MDR (here's to hoping for chicken cordon bleu night), and Shanghai Noodles! If I break and we do get the extra meals, it still wouldn't be worth the Free at Sea Plus as the meals are about $140 for us total, and the Free at Sea Plus would cost us almost $900  combined.

I suppose I typed all that out, 1) because I'm long winded, 2) to prove that it's not about the Haven making Free at Sea Plus worth/not worth it, but other factors. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I suppose I typed all that out, 1) because I'm long winded, 2) to prove that it's not about the Haven making Free at Sea Plus worth/not worth it, but other factors. 

That I totally understand:  If you don't want Internet or the booze upgrade, the numbers just won't add up.  But a poster mentioned that it wouldn't be a good deal if you were in Haven and I was just unclear, (assuming, of course, that a Haven cruiser would use all the components,) why that would be the case.

Totally made sense for us to add The Free at Sea Plus promo to our booking.

We always upgrade the beverage package, we both need internet while away from from work and we eat in the specialty restaurants nearly every night. The extra shore excursions credit was a bonus and I booked a couple of beach days that did not go over the credit limit.

You need to phone to have this added to your booking (FASUP) as it is a promo and not an upgrade.

9F75EC78-9B24-441A-9470-43062B213446.jpeg

Edited by pixiedust777
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Trappedontheboat said:

It is a good deal if you are not in Haven, or want to book a lot of tours via NCL

What's the Haven got to do with it?  People in Haven wouldn't want the upgraded beverage package, additional specialty meals, discounted excursions, unlimited internet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

We actually declined the Free at Sea Premium Beverage Package. We did the math. My husband doesn't drink booze at all. For both of us to get our worth out of the package, I'd have to drink 28 alcoholic drinks over nine days. That's crazy talk for me! 

3.1 drinks per day over nine days?  Well, I suppose I could cut back to that.  🤪

• Haha 5

It took forever to get it added as they initially had a conflict with the free air promo...but I added it for our cruise next year...for us it was a no brainer....it's our 25th wedding anniversary cruise and we were planning on upgrading the drink package anyway...the wifi will be slow, but should be enough for us to check on our dog...oh and the kids too I guess...and the extra dining out will be a nice way to celebrate...the shore excursion credit is a nice bonus...

• Like 1