Cruising from Brooklyn Cruise Dock

Atlantic Canada

We are sailing from New York’s Brooklyn pier in November and want to overnight near the pier the night before the cruise. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the pier that is reasonably priced and is clean, safe and at least reasonably quiet?  The other option would be to stay at LaGuardia for the night and taxi over to the pier the next day. If we were to consider that can anyone recommend a hotel at the airport that also fits the above criteria.  Also any idea of cost from the airport to the pier?

in the past we have stayed in Newark and went from there but want to fly into LaGuardia this time. 

Any help would be appreciated 

• 1 month later...

Just saw this post, and curious what you (original OP)decided to do.  I also am doing the same thing and only one one night in hotel that is near airport (prefer a hotel shuttle) and then taxi or uber to pier the next day.  I can't see the point of paying for a Manhattan hotel when I am just going to arrive and sleep, and leave the following day.  I noticed nobody really answered your question, lol.  If I am going to New York to see New York, then yes definitely would stay in the Manhattan area close to everything.  However just for a cruise departure I don't see the need for that.  Thanks for any input on what you decided would work best in this scenario.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Our hotel was under $200 for the night which we thought was reasonable

We ended up hailing a taxi on the street the next morning

He just charged us $20 flat,for the ride which we also thought was reasonable

For  your future trips to NY please keep in mind that charging you a flat rate was illegal . A yellow or green medallion taxi hailed on the street should be using their meter  with the exception of trips between Manhattan and JFK airport in either direction, where a flat rate fare applies. While you weren't outrageously ripped off...your fare could have been  a few dollars less, or even a few dollars more depending on traffic, your driver was probably stealing from his boss by transporting you off the meter.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Our hotel was under $200 for the night which we thought was reasonable

We ended up hailing a taxi on the street the next morning

He just charged us $20 flat,for the ride which we also thought was reasonable

If you were staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, the driver did rip you off (it should have been well under $10) while possibly stealing from his boss.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Actually I looked up the cost on uber and on the taxi rate web site

Prices were between $15 and $32

We felt quite comfortable with $20

I know that the meter is supposed to be use d but since we had a flat rate from the airport we didn't really think it was a terrible idea to give the driver the amount he asked for

We could have said no but we were happy to do it this way

On 9/26/2022 at 5:40 PM, riffatsea said:

We ended up hailing a taxi on the street the next morning. He just charged us $20 flat,for the ride which we also thought was reasonable

I assume that you traveled by taxi from the hotel directly to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, having abandoned the plan to travel by ferry (if you did travel by taxi from the hotel to Pier 11, then you would have been massively overcharged). Going off the meter was, of course, unlawful. The highway distance from the hotel to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is 4.2 miles. The meter fare for that distance would be $2.50 flag drop, plus $10.50 mileage (at $2.50 per mile), plus $0.50 MTA surcharge, plus $0.30 improvement surcharge, plus $2.50 congestion surcharge, plus $6.55 tunnel toll, for a total of $22.85. Had there been traffic that caused the taxi to charge for time, then the charge might have been higher. While the driver did not cheat you, by going off the meter he might have cheated someone else (including tax man). There are regularly instances of taxi drivers cheating their unknowing passengers. I don't regularly use taxis--public transportation is almost always a much better alternative--but of those New Yorkers I know none of them go off the meter. Even without cheating going off the meter works against the integrity of the system. Almost always best to use the meter.

We were not overcharged

There was traffic congestion

The walk to the ferry was too long in the heat and grabbing a taxi on the corner was quite easy

We were very happy to just pay the 20

I don't think we cheated anybody by doing that

Your calculation came to $22 without tip

We paid 20

Enough said!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We were not overcharged

There was traffic congestion

The walk to the ferry was too long in the heat and grabbing a taxi on the corner was quite easy

We were very happy to just pay the 20

I don't think we cheated anybody by doing that

Your calculation came to $22 without tip

We paid 20

Enough said!

His $22 calculation was based on the taxi going north in Manhattan to the Brooklyn Bridge,  crossing the bridge , then getting to the cruise terminal.

Your taxi fare should have been about $5 to $7 - I can see why you did not want to walk in the heat; and, while you did not personally cheat anyone, you sure were overcharged — and you most likely did facilitate the driver cheating either the taxi’s owner or the taxing authorities who rely on licensed taxi drivers abiding by the laws governing their trade.

Now, that is “Enough said”.

Edited by navybankerteacher