Hotel just told me that port canaveral port authority doesnt allow shuttles until noon?

lecach

Has anyone heard of this? I just called about our Sept. 3 cruise and the hotel said the first shuttle to the Mardi Gras is at noon per the port authority. Has anyone heard this before? We sailed in April and our hotel then (a different one) had a shuttle leave around 10:00. 

We have a 10:00 check in so obviously I want to go earlier than noon. 

39 minutes ago, lecach said:

Has anyone heard of this? I just called about our Sept. 3 cruise and the hotel said the first shuttle to the Mardi Gras is at noon per the port authority. Has anyone heard this before? We sailed in April and our hotel then (a different one) had a shuttle leave around 10:00. 

We have a 10:00 check in so obviously I want to go earlier than noon. 

What hotel are you staying at?  We stayed at Days Inn at the Cocoa Beach Pier and the shuttle was scheduled to pick us up at 10:30 but we didn't get picked up till 11:00.  We were in our room on Mardi Gras by 12:15 so it wasn't too much of a delay.

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Cab & Uber under the same rules?

Definitely not. We live under 2 miles from Terminal 3 (Mardi Gras) and frequently use taxi, Uber and Lyft to and from the port. We always have an early check in time.

54 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

This nonsense is why we stay at a cheaper rate at a hotel near MCO.  We'll be at the Embassy Suites, booked through Priceline for 130.00 and taking a private shuttle to the Mardi Gras.

We live here now (but moved over from Orlando several years ago). I'd much rather stay in a hotel near the port instead of Orlando BUT I love that Embassy Suites near the airport. We stayed there a few years ago after evacuating our island for a hurricane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Did the hotel specify if that was Mardi Gras specific?  If not, maybe ask in the Port Departures forum, as other lines would also be impacted.

No - they just said this when I asked about the shuttle time:  Unfortunately this was a directive from the Cape Canaveral Port Authority to all hotel shuttles as they will no longer be allowing and shuttles into the port before 12 noon for any transportation services. If you would like to cancel your reservation without penalty we can assist you in doing so.

1 hour ago, lecach said:

No - they just said this when I asked about the shuttle time:  Unfortunately this was a directive from the Cape Canaveral Port Authority to all hotel shuttles as they will no longer be allowing and shuttles into the port before 12 noon for any transportation services. If you would like to cancel your reservation without penalty we can assist you in doing so.

I would then recommend you take this question to the general FL departure ports area, as this now is not Carnival specific, and the other lines are affected.  Maybe someone there has info to confirm this is indeed an "edict" by the port authority.

EDIT: but I will say I guess I can understand why the port authority might do this - it will lower the overall crowd level of everyone arriving at 10:00am hoping to get in early, even though their check-in time is 12:30pm.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

41 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

We took a shuttle to Port Canaveral on April 2nd and arrived at approximately 10:10 am, so that does not make sense to me.

If it was a hotel shuttle, then the 12 noon stipulation obviously started since April 2.  If you used a private shuttle, then it's a moot point since they are allowed.

3 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If it was a hotel shuttle, then the 12 noon stipulation obviously started since April 2.  If you used a private shuttle, then it's a moot point since they are allowed

I guess I missed that - it was a rental car shuttle, and yes, policies certainly could have changed in the last few months.  Sorry I missed the obvious.  

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

This nonsense is why we stay at a cheaper rate at a hotel near MCO.  We'll be at the Embassy Suites, booked through Priceline for 130.00 and taking a private shuttle to the Mardi Gras.

How much is the shuttle? We are flying in to MCO and reserved a car for $80.  Last time we flew, the shuttle was a nightmare and left an hour late.

1 hour ago, pamelab said:

How much is the shuttle? We are flying in to MCO and reserved a car for $80.  Last time we flew, the shuttle was a nightmare and left an hour late.

We're using cruise control transportation.  Corey is the owner.  When the gas spike occurred, his prices jumped.  He offers both shared as well as private shuttles.  His private is 100. Edit forgot the hyphen.

https://www.cruisecontrol-transportation.com.      

Edited by CruizinSusan70

I live fairly close, and park in the Radisson Park Port Canaveral lot. I try to get there around 10 and grab a good spot as soon as the previous week's cruisers leave.

So if they don't start over at exactly 10 on the dot, it's pretty soon after.

Certainly well before noon.

Also, if anybody else needs this info - Uber will pick up at the Radisson or at the adjacent Parking lot and take you to the port, no problem.

Radisson had some staffing problems very early after the startup (last November) and after waiting 45 mins for their shuttle to go over to the port, I called an Uber.

Maybe 5 minute wait. Easy. 

They do designate and board each shuttle by cruise line and check in time, so YMMV.

• Like 1

I would ask the hotel to send you something in writing from the port authority specifically stating that their shuttle can't take you before noon and  why,  If they can't or won't you will have your answer.

Edited by awhcruiser