Past guest discount for 31-day cruise

longterm

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

no.  I got the same for two WCs.

Oh well, that's disappointing! 🙂

I thought I'd read somewhere that there were different levels of past-guest discounts depending on the length of the cruise you were signing up for... must've been wishful thinking. 

7 minutes ago, longterm said:

Oh well, that's disappointing! 🙂

I thought I'd read somewhere that there were different levels of past-guest discounts depending on the length of the cruise you were signing up for... must've been wishful thinking. 

Ha, if there is I got screwed......😱

Perhaps the confusion is this.

Most of the time, past guest discount is $200 per person.

Sometimes (not often) as a promotion, Viking throws out a $400 per person past guest discount.

So you could see 2 different ones.  We've mostly had the $200 but 2 times we got the $400 only because it happened to be featured that month (and we didn't even know it).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, longterm said:

Am I correct that the size of the past guest discount is higher for longer trips?

Is it larger for a 31-day cruise?

By the same logic, if you complete, let’s say, 50 cruise days over a few cruises in 12 months, will the next past guest discount be more too? Obviously, no I’m both cases.

There are actually two past guest level discounts.  If you ever sailed with Viking you get $100 off when you book.  If you've sailed within the last year or book when onboard you get a higher past guest level discount of $200.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul73 said:

There are actually two past guest level discounts.  If you ever sailed with Viking you get $100 off when you book.  If you've sailed within the last year or book when onboard you get a higher past guest level discount of $200.

... which probably explains the "Level 1" description when we got $200 each for an upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, longterm said:

... which probably explains the "Level 1" description when we got $200 each for an upcoming cruise.

Yup-Level 2 is $100 if only I had booked our cruise next July a week or so earlier I would have gotten the Level 1 discount😢

05020B85-2689-47B8-98D9-005C8A2DBAC2.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Good news Clay!  Just got vouchers for our cancelled cruise worth 400%.  Also all the free booze we can drink on our next one.  Karine said I am her very favorite passenger and darn well worth it......😜

Watch out for Mikey B!

• Like 1

The only time I have seen perks or discounts linked to the length of the cruise was when we booked on board.  We booked a 30 day cruise and a 50 day cruise when we were on our South American cruise.  Both were linked with additional discounts and OBC for the cruise length.   
For instance the 30 day cruise had an additional on board discount of $400, the 50 day $800.  We also received OBC for each, but as it wasn’t on the invoice, I don’t remember how much but know how much was related to the cruise length.

When Viking canceled Viking Homelands part of the 30 day cruise, they also canceled the British Isles part.  My Viking agent had to do battle with his manager to get our discounts back as we still kept the BI part.  We got the $$ back in OBC.

Edited by Mich3554

I used to get confused between the Explorer's Club past guest discount and on board credit (OBC).  The past guest discount comes only from Viking.  The OBC can come from Viking or from a travel agent.  The on board credit from Viking appears on the Guest Statement.  The OBC from a TA does not appear until you are onboard as is my understanding.  Also my understanding is Viking controls how much OBC a TA can offer and it is dictated by the length of the cruise.  Then there are the Vouchers.  These come from Viking and are from cancelled cruises or from some mishap where Viking feels it prudent to offer monies toward future travel.  All these different offerings come with different rules too.  And sometimes it seems they change the rules on you.  Oh my.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Good news Clay!  Just got vouchers for our cancelled cruise worth 400%.  Also all the free booze we can drink on our next one.  Karine said I am her very favorite passenger and darn well worth it......😜

Jim,  when is your next cruise on Viking? Are you still doing a World cruise ?

Edited by Azulann

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I used to get confused between the Explorer's Club past guest discount and on board credit (OBC).  The past guest discount comes only from Viking.  The OBC can come from Viking or from a travel agent.  The on board credit from Viking appears on the Guest Statement.  The OBC from a TA does not appear until you are onboard as is my understanding.  Also my understanding is Viking controls how much OBC a TA can offer and it is dictated by the length of the cruise.  Then there are the Vouchers.  These come from Viking and are from cancelled cruises or from some mishap where Viking feels it prudent to offer monies toward future travel.  All these different offerings come with different rules too.  And sometimes it seems they change the rules on you.  Oh my.

I think that’s where I recall a difference in credit, the OBCs. As I’ve been doing, I’ll book our next cruise in March while we’re on board ship, then transfer it to our TA for the OBC.  

27 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Jim,  when is your next cruise on Viking? Are you still doing a World cruise ?

We are booked Neptune WC '23/'24.  Had to cancel this year due to a couple of surgeries and we recently lost both Mothers.  One of those years.  Just didn't feel we could get it all done by December.  Looking at Viking river in the spring, possibly holiday in the Caribbean.  Whatever we can make work to use all the Viking paper.🥃

• Thanks 1

JIm, 

Love reading the blogs and trip reports of the WC. You have lots of options to spend your Viking paper before then.  Come on the Scenic Scandinavia  June 12-22. Overnights in Stockholm and Copenhagen, and in the true North during midsummer!

I would love to met you and your wife.

I figure this cruise will be a bargain in Jan. Lots of DV still open. 

Have fun planning...

Edited by Azulann

On our first re-booking of our Homelands cruise we got $200 pp discount. Then that cruise got cancelled. The next time we re-booked the credit was $100 pp. I pestered Viking about making the discount $200 on the grounds that they should be willing to reinstate the same level of discount as before. No soap. They said it was a matter of what was going on at the of the booking and those things do not carry over.

48 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We are booked Neptune WC '23/'24.  Had to cancel this year due to a couple of surgeries and we recently lost both Mothers.  One of those years.  Just didn't feel we could get it all done by December.  Looking at Viking river in the spring, possibly holiday in the Caribbean.  Whatever we can make work to use all the Viking paper.🥃

We lost both our moms the same year (2016); the day after my mother-in-law's funeral we flew to South Africa for a 2-week photo safari trip. Looking back, it was good timing, after a tough few weeks before.

We're scheduled for a river cruise (Grand European) in October '23, but I'm concerned about water levels on the Rhine & Danube. We did the same cruise in 2019, and water levels were touch-and-go until the day we sailed; we found out the night we left port that the rivers were high enough for us to go all the way to Budapest without disembarking. So now I'm looking at alternative plans in case the rivers don't come back between now and then; not sure I'd have scheduled this cruise had I looked at water levels.