What is the explanation for unvaccinated not being allowed to cruise from Florida?

dna529

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just got off Freedom. The Bahamas still requires people to be vaccinated. Since most RCI cruises from Florida go to Coco Cay, which is in the Bahamas, they still have to comply with their current COVID policies. I don’t see RCI changing a policy that could result in their ships not being allowed to dock at Coco Cay. 

Are you saying an unvaxed  passenger cannot get off the ship in CocoCay? This is not my understanding.

2 hours ago, Marie51 said:

Are you saying an unvaxed  passenger cannot get off the ship in CocoCay? This is not my understanding.

This is not my understanding either.  Bahamas is allowing unvaxed into the country.

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

I, for one, feel much safer knowing all adults have been vaccinated.

That's really a false sense of security. I had my vax a year and a half ago, yet I'm considered "fully vaccinated" even though the efficacy of the vax is only a few months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pfdaxe358 said:

That's really a false sense of security. I had my vax a year and a half ago, yet I'm considered "fully vaccinated" even though the efficacy of the vax is only a few months. 

Not saying It brings "security."  Certainly not.  Just saying I feel safer on a ship of vaccinated folks rather than on a ship of unvaccinated.

12 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not saying It brings "security."  Certainly not.  Just saying I feel safer on a ship of vaccinated folks rather than on a ship of unvaccinated.

Vaccinated folks can carry the virus around and pass it to you just the same as the unvaxed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pfdaxe358 said:

Maybe it’s time for your boosters?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

See the difference? Bahamas are allowing unvaccinated but Royal still is not. Or am I misreading this, again! LOL! Sorry, I am pretty old!

Bahamas has different rules for cruise passengers:

Please note: All cruise ship passengers ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to enter a port in The Bahamas, including a cruise line’s private island. Any person who is ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical contraindications is exempt from this requirement.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Please note: All cruise ship passengers ages 12 and older must be fully vaccinated to enter a port in The Bahamas, including a cruise line’s private island. Any person who is ineligible for the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical contraindications is exempt from this requirement.

Hah! Didn't see that paragraph at the beginning but it was kind of hidden under the "learn more" prompt! Sneaky! Thanks for finding it! Wonder why they are singling out cruise ship passengers when it doesn't apply to those flying in? Not very fair IMO.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But when you chat with agents they are saying that is not the case the cruise portion of site is outdated 

Who knows 

Regardless its time to drop the crap for sure 

4 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Hah! Didn't see that paragraph at the beginning but it was kind of hidden under the "learn more" prompt! Sneaky! Thanks for finding it! Wonder why they are singling out cruise ship passengers when it doesn't apply to those flying in? Not very fair IMO.

Because that is how the cruise lines got around the Florida vaccine lawsuit.  

I'm expecting that to change any day now, especially with Grand Cayman now dropping theirs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

It's moronic at best if that is even true how does covid or the vax know if you are in air or on sea lol

Grand Cayman, Bermuda and St Kitts all lifted all mandates this week.

Bahamas will have mandated lifted very soon.

Unvaccinated cruising out of Florida in September is 99% assured at this point.

I’m booking October tomorrow.

On the local news tonight (Tampa area) a reporter said RCI is still requiring vaccines to meet the requirements of ports in the Caribbean. Hopefully this will change soon. He also said both CCL and NCL cruises may be denied entry to certain ports if there is no change in vaccine  requirements at these islands. 

12 hours ago, Finnsmom13 said:

It's moronic at best if that is even true how does covid or the vax know if you are in air or on sea lol

It might be the difference of a few hundred people entering the country at one time vs 3,000-6,000.  

Big Difference!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

Grand Cayman, Bermuda and St Kitts all lifted all mandates this week.

Bahamas will have mandated lifted very soon.

Unvaccinated cruising out of Florida in September is 99% assured at this point.

I’m booking October tomorrow.

But Bermuda just added an additional requirement for the unvaccinated starting August 22.  You can enter the company, but you must show proof of additional insurance for covid.

I can see the Bahamas following in their footsteps. Sure you can come to the Bahamas, but it is going to cost you.  

Finally this question no longer matters. I live in Florida and cruise almost exclusively from Florida ports, so this is great news in my book. I think/assume RCI wanted to be sure every port was good with this policy change before announcing it. Looks like there are still exceptions with Canada and Bermuda, but I don’t have any plans to cruise there any time soon. 

• Thanks 1