Gala Themed Formal Evenings - Men Suggested Dress & Accessories.....2022

BklynBoy8

I read many comments on airline weight restrictions, which I don't understand.

There's the odd poster who might be taking a cruise as part of a much longer trip to several continents, and some may have health issues that restrict what they can carry.

But most airlines allow quite generous luggage. British Airways Economy Plus, which is economy with checked luggage allowed us about 69 kg and 350 litres each between 1 hold case and full size and under seat carry-ons. easyJet at comparable price including add-ons would have included same weight and slightly larger hold bag. On a recent Delta flight Nice to New York economy limits were the same.

In practice we took about 30 kg and 130 litres each, giving me 6 suits and plenty of shirts and ties, and my wife 14 different evening outfits and 12 lunch outfits, along with everything else we needed for 2 weeks.  Our cases were much smaller than permitted because they are easy to handle at a medium size.

With a bit of planning we could have coped for the 14 nights with hand baggage only.

I have seen folk visiting us here with full size shampoo, conditioner and shower gels, which might explain part of the problem. To me that's just bad travel planning.

I think airline baggage limits depends on how you book the flight part. The fly cruises to the med we have done have the flight as part of the package ie the cruise company chartered the flight and we have been limited to 23kg each hold and 10kg hand. Its different if you book your flights independently especially across the pond! 

Have to admit like you @D&N I'm always well under around 19kg hold with plenty of outfit choices as you say must be all those heavy bottles of jollop 🤣🤣

• Like 1

A tip for taking piles of Jollop on a cruise without breaking luggage weight restrictions.

Order on line from Boots and make the “collect” the in airport UK store.  This is after the weighing of hold and cabin luggage pull along etc.  Then load the cabin pull along with the Jollop….. Simples

Another tip my BIL always uses, is to take an empty plastic bottle and fill it for free from the water fountains in departure after security.

• Like 1

When we fly BA business we get 2 X 32 Kgs bags hold baggage per person plus carry ons. Is it general consencus that this is greater the Cunard allow?

When we sail Celebrity out of Southampton we usually have 2X large (upto 32kgs) suitcases per person does Cunard have a lower limit 😮

Edited by groryjm

15 minutes ago, groryjm said:

When we fly BA business we get 2 X 32 Kgs bags hold baggage per person plus carry ons. Is it general consencus that this is greater the Cunard allow?

When we sail Celebrity out of Southampton we usually have 2X large (upto 32kgs) suitcases per person does Cunard have a lower limit 😮

Sailing out of Southampton?  Cruises 14/28 days
4 X-LARGE usually close to 30 kg each plus 2 large about 25 each, all to the baggage handler with a good gratuity passed with the words “know they may be heavy, but thank you”… A “thank you” is the usual response….  Weight has never been a problem 😉

Bye the way…….. baggage handlers dislike coachers and self droppers, for the obvious reason.

7 hours ago, groryjm said:

Don’t think Cunard has a limit as far as their ships are concerned.

I always remember a comment by  Clef d'or concierge of a famous hotel. He can tell those used to travelling, they manage with minimum cases as they are practised at the art of packing well.

As you’re in a large cabin, you can squirrel away quite a few cases in the dressing 'room' as well as under the bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Don’t think Cunard has a limit as far as their ships are concerned.

@Victoria2 I found this while doing some research online which is why I  was worried our big suitcases might not be allowed

Screenshot_20220827-082823.thumb.png.45b3fad3c3897b3346d9f4dd260f95f2.png

It gives the impression that there is a  20kh weight limit per bag 

• Like 1

As far as I am aware, Cunard has no limit on the weight of a case.  However, it is the  general principle that in any situation, people who may pick up a case or  box should be alerted if it is heavy.  I got an Amazon delivery last week and it had a big yellow sticker "WARNING: WEIGHT > 15KG".

It is not, to the best of my knowledge, a restriction for Cunard.  Just recognising that mishandling heavy goods can lead to injuries.   I have a friend who worked in the postal sector who had recently had to stop because years of handling heavy parcels has wrecked his shoulders to the point he needs surgery.

Planes, because of impacts on fuel costs amongst other things, strictly enforce the limits appropriate to the price charged.  Cruise ships don't, but it is better to take multiple cases than ones that are unusually heavy.  It puts the handlers at least risk.  And you as well!

1 hour ago, groryjm said:

@Victoria2 I found this while doing some research online which is why I  was worried our big suitcases might not be allowed

Screenshot_20220827-082823.thumb.png.45b3fad3c3897b3346d9f4dd260f95f2.png

It gives the impression that there is a  20kh weight limit per bag 

Sorry, I was referring to number of cases.

The max weight per case is now 23 kg and I think it unfair to go over as we have to think of those who have to lift/ shift our cases.

I can just about manage 23kg so we wouldn’t dream of going over that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

The max weight per case is now 23 kg and I think it unfair to go over as we have to think of those who have to lift/ shift our cases.

The weight issue is why our lightest of lite cases are all hard, medium sized. 

12 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

sorry but the luggage tag says 20kg so your 23 kg is over weight

8 hours ago, groryjm said:

sorry but the luggage tag says 20kg so your 23 kg is over weight

Well obviously, we must have a preferential allowance as the tags on our bags  which are in our cabin at this very moment say

'Ship max. weight of

23kg per piece'

• Like 1

Forgot to say, it’s a Roaring 20s gala tonight with the theme running through a couple of activities during the day.

It will be interesting to see the outfits.

The vast majority of chaps still wore jackets during dinner although the tie as an accessory is becoming more and more rare.

23 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Forgot to say, it’s a Roaring 20s gala tonight with the theme running through a couple of activities during the day.

It will be interesting to see the outfits.

The vast majority of chaps still wore jackets during dinner although the tie as an accessory is becoming more and more rare.

Most chaps wore the usual Gala garb but there were one or two who had made an effort to 'roar'. Some more successfully than others.

However I would say ladies came up trumps.

Not too much of an exaggeration to say over a quarter gave some sort of nod to the theme, be it a head band/ piece, stonking long string of pearls or a flapper dress.

Nice to see.

Must add, the Queens Room was full, as was the dance floor. Some great dancers and good to see some who were not so proficient getting up and joining in too.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1