Lobster Roll in Portland

sunlover2

1 hour ago, sunlover2 said:

Best place to get a lobster roll near cruise terminal in Portland?

TIA

High Roller or Becky's Dinner. And go to Holy Donuts for dessert. High Roller and Holy Donuts are on the same street two blocks from each other.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rtcuse said:

Eventide. Brown Butter Lobster Roll  (no mayonnaise). My wife loved it.

This sounds REALLY good!!

Very different from the usual lobster roll. 

Is Eventide within walking distance from the cruise terminal?

Thanks

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sunlover2 said:

This sounds REALLY good!!

Very different from the usual lobster roll. 

Is Eventide within walking distance from the cruise terminal?

Thanks

About 1/2 mile once out of the cruise terminal area

• Like 1

There are a ton of restaurants with decent lobster rolls along the waterfront.  Just take a left as you exit the cruise terminal.  Sit on the dock and watch the boats come and go as you eat.  A lot of them have live music also.  

On 8/21/2022 at 3:17 PM, mets123 said:

High Roller or Becky's Dinner. And go to Holy Donuts for dessert. High Roller and Holy Donuts are on the same street two blocks from each other.

Our problem is we go to Holy Donuts first and then have no room for a lobster roll :classic_tongue:

So we wait and get our lobster roll in Boston at Quincy Market and Bar Harbor.

5 hours ago, mets123 said:

Get your lobster roll first. Then go to Holy Donuts and bring them back to the ship. That's what I always do. 

But then there's the chance Holy Donut is sold out of some of the more popular donuts. And it's usually too early in the morning for a lobster roll as we get off the ship when it docks.

Oh my...such major problems and decisions :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

Take a bike tour at Lighthouse Bikes! They offer two and three-hour bicycle tours that visit area lighthouses and share local natural and historical information about the area. The three hour tour comes with an option to buy a delicious lobster roll at the famous "BITE INTO MAINE" food truck at the Portland Headlight. Really beautiful ride with incredibly friendly staff. You can also just rent bikes there. 

They are located 1 1/2 mies from the cruise ship terminal-a quick walk or Uber!

Check out their website lighthousebikesportland.com

On 8/25/2022 at 10:28 AM, rtcuse said:

Eventide. Brown Butter Lobster Roll  (no mayonnaise). My wife loved it.

While Eventide has a good roll, and the brown butter is unique, you can get a very good butter lobster roll (no mayo) at the other places mentioned, for about $10 less.  IIRC, Boone's gives you the entire meat of a 1-1/4lb lobster in their rolls.

Gilbert’s for lobster rolls.  Place looks unassuming.  Inside is dark. However, go around to the waterside. There is a lovely outdoor deck.  I used to live in Boston and frequently went to Maine. Whenever we visit anyone in NE, we try to take a diversion to Portland.  Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I spent the summer living in Portland and felt it was my duty to eat as much lobster as possible.  I tried all the lobster rolls.  All of them.  The best lobster roll in town is in a little store in South Portland called the Ocean House Market.  Best value too.  It isn’t far from the port, because everything in Portland is less than 15 minutes away from any other place in Portland.  Bite into Maine has a very good lobster roll, as does the Portland Lobster Company.  Many of the other places on the water in Portland Maine have good enough rolls as well.  

• 2 weeks later...