Australia ETA

When applying for our Australia ETAs mine was approved very quickly. My wife's, however, was not. She has zero background issues but she did check the box that she has gone by a different name (which was her maiden name 47 years ago).

So then the application process needed "Supplemental Info" (marriage certificate) and "Other Info" (a form she completed) which she then successfully uploaded to the application site.

Then we heard nothing for a few weeks so we called. After being on hold we finally spoke with a real person who told us she couldn't tell us anything about ETA status, processing times, etc. So $55 later we had made no progress. 

Then she withdrew her application and paid to try again - same steps and result as above and no response after a couple weeks.

Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Did you go through the Australian government website or did you go to a third party provider? From the $55 cost you mention, I suspect you went through a private company. It might be worthwhile having a look at the Australian government website and applying there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Did you go through the Australian government website or did you go to a third party provider? From the $55 cost you mention, I suspect you went through a private company. It might be worthwhile having a look at the Australian government website and applying there.

And from what I’ve heard the easiest method is to download the app from the .gov.au site and apply from within the app. YMMV

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

And from what I’ve heard the easiest method is to download the app from the .gov.au site and apply from within the app. YMMV

Correct, the only way to for an ETA is through the app. 

This is the one for iPhone and iPad through the App Store

Screenshot 2022-08-22 19.24.04.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KruzeKrazy! said:

When applying for our Australia ETAs mine was approved very quickly. My wife's, however, was not. She has zero background issues but she did check the box that she has gone by a different name (which was her maiden name 47 years ago).

So then the application process needed "Supplemental Info" (marriage certificate) and "Other Info" (a form she completed) which she then successfully uploaded to the application site.

Then we heard nothing for a few weeks so we called. After being on hold we finally spoke with a real person who told us she couldn't tell us anything about ETA status, processing times, etc. So $55 later we had made no progress. 

Then she withdrew her application and paid to try again - same steps and result as above and no response after a couple weeks.

Anyone else have similar issues? Anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but read the $55 to talk to a real person as the cost of an international phone call.

46 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The advice about the APP for out ETA visa waiver is correct. 

In general though, us Aussies don't have experience applying for Australian EVA'S.

Fat fingers, small screen - should read as ETA's

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Used the AUS government app.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I may be wrong, but read the $55 to talk to a real person as the cost of an international phone call.

Correct - the $55 was the international call to Australia to try to get some answers (which it didn't).

At our end, we have faced long delays in getting passport renewals. You know, that covid thing and displacement of staff, along with staff working less efficiently from home and others in isolation.

I think the delay you are facing is along the same lines, and anything that requires a manual check is being backlogged. I really have no idea how long the delays are.

• Like 1

I am sure that you are using the correct official website to apply, but just in case,  here is the step-by-step information and link to the application site.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601

A friend had a similar issue.

HE had his visa approved more or less right away, his partner heard nothing.

The partner started the process afresh.

The best way to do that was to UNINSTALL  the app and then install it anew.

Also pay close attention to certain formats, such as day-month-year vs. month-day-year, spaces and hyphens. 

The system may let you enter it, but then quietly rejecting the application when it detects a discrepancy between the passport screen shot/bar code , compared what you enter. 

Edited by buchhalm
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I am sure that you are using the correct official website to apply, but just in case,  here is the step-by-step information and link to the application site.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601

A friend had a similar issue.

HE had his visa approved more or less right away, his partner heard nothing.

The partner started the process afresh.

The best way to do that was to UNINSTALL  the app and then install it anew.

Also pay close attention to certain formats, such as day-month-year vs. month-day-year, spaces and hyphens. 

The system may let you enter it, but then quietly rejecting the application when it detects a discrepancy between the passport screen shot/bar code , compared what you enter. 

That is superb advice from someone who had done it. Obviously most of us haven't.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, tracie17 said:

Do you put the port address for visa address?

Normally, the address you will be spending your first night in Australia. If getting on a ship the same day, the address of the cruise line's Australian office or may as well be the port address.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My phone is not NFC capable, so I am going to have to borrow a friend's phone to apply. Am I correct that they will email me a document that I can print and bring (since I won't have the phone I applied on)?

6 hours ago, abqkjh said:

My phone is not NFC capable, so I am going to have to borrow a friend's phone to apply. Am I correct that they will email me a document that I can print and bring (since I won't have the phone I applied on)?

The ETA will be implanted as part of your passport and you will receive a confirming email.