Amp this!

RCCL hasn't been our favorite line, but a few small changes would go a long way to helping us get there! Again, this is all just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth...

1). Ditch Johnny Rockets and add a poolside, complimentary grill option.  I think RCCL is one of the only lines we've been on where they don't have this.  DCL, Princess, HAL..  they all have them, and Carnival takes it to the next level with Guy's Burgers and especially the Shaq's Big Chicken.  All complimentary.  Adding El Loco Fresh was a step in the right direction.  Need to continue that.  Please don't make me have to go to the Windjammer for a burger or dog that is just sitting under a heat lamp...

2). Upgrade Cafe Promenade.  We've done a number of cruises with Princess, and while that is a different experience, one thing that we universally love on all the Princess ships we've been on was the International Cafe.  Having recently been on both Oasis and Independence and seeing the Cafe Promenade, it just doesn't compare to what the IC is on Princess, but I think that RCCL could easily upgrade the sandwich and dessert options to be similar.

3). Don't charge $11.99 for a stateroom movie that most other lines include complimentary (Virgin Voyages was especially good with this!)

4). Get rid of the towel checkout system (this goes for you too, Carnival!).  Princess, Virgin, and Disney don't make me check out towels and I think they are making it OK...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

RCCL hasn't been our favorite line, but a few small changes would go a long way to helping us get there! Again, this is all just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth...

1). Ditch Johnny Rockets and add a poolside, complimentary grill option.  I think RCCL is one of the only lines we've been on where they don't have this.  DCL, Princess, HAL..  they all have them, and Carnival takes it to the next level with Guy's Burgers and especially the Shaq's Big Chicken.  All complimentary.  Adding El Loco Fresh was a step in the right direction.  Need to continue that.  Please don't make me have to go to the Windjammer for a burger or dog that is just sitting under a heat lamp...

2). Upgrade Cafe Promenade.  We've done a number of cruises with Princess, and while that is a different experience, one thing that we universally love on all the Princess ships we've been on was the International Cafe.  Having recently been on both Oasis and Independence and seeing the Cafe Promenade, it just doesn't compare to what the IC is on Princess, but I think that RCCL could easily upgrade the sandwich and dessert options to be similar.

3). Don't charge $11.99 for a stateroom movie that most other lines include complimentary (Virgin Voyages was especially good with this!)

4). Get rid of the towel checkout system (this goes for you too, Carnival!).  Princess, Virgin, and Disney don't make me check out towels and I think they are making it OK...

Have to agree with Cafe Promenade, could use upgrading.  Years ago, it had much better fare.  I think Royal needs to upgrade on food a lot. 

2 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

I agree, especially with #1.  The pool area is such an important part of cruising.  It's a shame that they can't step it up a notch by doing something so simple as adding a complimentary decent food option.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Need to be more specific as the Music Hall differs between classes of ships, and even within the same class.

A couple of years ago, on the Anthem (Bermuda itinerary), we spent most of our time in the "Music Hall" and the "270".  We though both were great.  Loved the karaoke and the Tribute bands.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

I disagree.  My opinion:  I cruise Royal precisely because it isn't just like the others mentioned. You couldn't pay me to cruise on a Carnival ship, AGAIN. And I really really really don't care for Guy's Burgers.

We love Jonny Rocket's onion rings and shakes.  Cafe Promenade has some great stuff to get on the go, at least on the Oasis Class ships.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I disagree.  My opinion:  I cruise Royal precisely because it isn't just like the others mentioned. You couldn't pay me to cruise on a Carnival ship, AGAIN. And I really really really don't care for Guy's Burgers.

We love Jonny Rocket's onion rings and shakes.  Cafe Promenade has some great stuff to get on the go, at least on the Oasis Class ships.  

Johnny Rockets, thought is NOT complimentary.  If you want to continue to pay extra for it, go ahead. As to Carnival, we did the Sunshine years ago, and had a good time, actually, but it paled in comparison to Mardi Gras.  We really enjoyed Mardi Gras.  So many included food options and we thought that the ship itself was much nicer.  You may not want to go on it but it is a really nice ship and a big step up for Carnival IMHO. 

As to Cafe Promenade, we've sailed on Oasis this year, and I stand by my opinion, but again, it's just my opinion, YMMV...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

Johnny Rockets, thought is NOT complimentary.  If you want to continue to pay extra for it, go ahead. As to Carnival, we did the Sunshine years ago, and had a good time, actually, but it paled in comparison to Mardi Gras.  We really enjoyed Mardi Gras.  So many included food options and we thought that the ship itself was much nicer.  You may not want to go on it but it is a really nice ship and a big step up for Carnival IMHO. 

As to Cafe Promenade, we've sailed on Oasis this year, and I stand by my opinion, but again, it's just my opinion, YMMV...

Johnny Rocket's used to be commentary. Then RCI instituted one of there "nominal" charges under the guise of enhancing the cruise experience by decreasing crowding with the charge. If course all the cheerleaders jumped right on board with the addition of one more charge. Over time RCI has just kept inceasing the charge in order to make our cruise experience better and better.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

That's the good thing about this, you and I are entitled to our own opinions.

We quit Carnival just before the Mardi Gras (the new one, not the original 😄). The Sunshine was the straw that broke the Camel's back for us.  It was a dirty, maintenance issue ship.  And a whole lot more that I won't get into unless you want to read about it. 

We cruise Star Class, not to brag, just a fact.  So, we don't worry about upcharges.  So, Johnny Rockets IS complementary for us.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Johnny Rocket's used to be commentary. Then RCI instituted one of there "nominal" charges under the guise of enhancing the cruise experience by decreasing crowding with the charge. If course all the cheerleaders jumped right on board with the addition of one more charge. Over time RCI has just kept inceasing the charge in order to make our cruise experience better and better.

I love how cruise lines, airlines, et al, call screwing you "enhancing your experience".  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

That's the good thing about this, you and I are entitled to our own opinions.

We quit Carnival just before the Mardi Gras (the new one, not the original 😄). The Sunshine was the straw that broke the Camel's back for us.  It was a dirty, maintenance issue ship.  And a whole lot more that I won't get into unless you want to read about it. 

We cruise Star Class, not to brag, just a fact.  So, we don't worry about upcharges.  So, Johnny Rockets IS complementary for us.  

Yeah, I get that.  We've actually never done anything above a standard balcony room on any line, and quite honestly, usually just book insides.  Our philosophy is that we could take more cruises rather than the upgraded rooms.  Is one way better than the other, nah, just depends on the person.

I will say though, that is probably why I don't get as much out of RCCL as a number of folks here.  We are just lowly Gold C&A members and don't book in suites.  As such, we have a very different experience than a number of the long time Royal enthusiasts on this board.  No free drinks or lounges for us.  That is probably why we focus on the limited included food options at time compared to other ships.  We don't have status on Carnival either, but there was so much more included on something like Mardi Gras food-wise, compared to say Oasis that it keeps us from really doing more RCCL cruises compared to other lines.  (Though in fairness to Oasis, the Solarium Cafe was closed "due to COVID", and Park Cafe had limited hours, so we probably didn't get the true experience).

If we stayed in a suite, or were D+, I'm sure our experience would be much different...  but, that comes at a cost...  This is why I am focused more on what I posted above as what I'd like to see from RCCL...

12 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Yeah, I get that.  We've actually never done anything above a standard balcony room on any line, and quite honestly, usually just book insides.  Our philosophy is that we could take more cruises rather than the upgraded rooms.  Is one way better than the other, nah, just depends on the person.

I will say though, that is probably why I don't get as much out of RCCL as a number of folks here.  We are just lowly Gold C&A members and don't book in suites.  As such, we have a very different experience than a number of the long time Royal enthusiasts on this board.  No free drinks or lounges for us.  That is probably why we focus on the limited included food options at time compared to other ships.  We don't have status on Carnival either, but there was so much more included on something like Mardi Gras food-wise, compared to say Oasis that it keeps us from really doing more RCCL cruises compared to other lines.  (Though in fairness to Oasis, the Solarium Cafe was closed "due to COVID", and Park Cafe had limited hours, so we probably didn't get the true experience).

If we stayed in a suite, or were D+, I'm sure our experience would be much different...  but, that comes at a cost...  This is why I am focused more on what I posted above as what I'd like to see from RCCL...

I hope you or anybody else doesn't think that I was suggesting that if you don't cruise Star Class, you are "lowly".  I'm as middle class as it gets.  We live below our means (which is getting harder and harder to do, now) to be able to afford our once ever year or two "first class" cruise.  I owe it to my wife who did a fine job of raising our two daughters while I was in the Army for over 20 years.  She has my respect and I owe her some "first Class" treatment every now and then. 

As you may tell, I'm very sensitive to mentioning my Star Class status, when I state my status, it's just for factual purposes, not bragging.  I'm not part of any aristocracy and don't want to be. I'm just a retired Army Sergeant who loves his wife and family.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I hope you or anybody else doesn't think that I was suggesting that if you don't cruise Star Class, you are "lowly".  I'm as middle class as it gets.  We live below our means (which is getting harder and harder to do, now) to be able to afford our once ever year or two "first class" cruise.  I owe it to my wife who did a fine job of raising our two daughters while I was in the Army for over 20 years.  She has my respect and I owe her some "first Class" treatment every now and then. 

As you may tell, I'm very sensitive to mentioning my Star Class status, when I state my status, it's just for factual purposes, not bragging.  I'm not part of any aristocracy and don't want to be. I'm just a retired Army Sergeant who loves his wife and family.  

No, nothing meant by that.  I guess my point was that there are differing philosophies on cruising in suites, it seems.  Some people, that is what they will do and will save up to only cruise that way.  Others, stay to the lowest price cabins and it's more of a volume thing.  As said before, is one way any better?  Nah, it just comes down to personal preference.  Wouldn't be any fun if we all wanted the same things...

Thank you for your service, BTW...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, Another_Critic said:

Need to be more specific as the Music Hall differs between classes of ships, and even within the same class.

I didn't like it on the Anthem, unless you are able to get a seat downstairs and close which is just about impossible. If sitting upstairs you need to watch on the TV sets. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people do like it