Breakaway Aft 9920

PatandStu

DH has always dreamed of an aft cabin & one is available for our February sailing. But, it’s right above Moderno & Cagney’s. Will it be noisy? Also DH likes to sleep with the balcony door open. Noise? Smell? 
can our upstairs neighbours look down on us?
Any input welcome.

thanks, Pat

1. Not really noisy. The sound of the water churning as the ship is moving will be what you hear. You might hear the crew pressure washing the Waterfront in the early am but if your balcony door is closed (see below), it won't bother you.

2. Keep the balcony door closed. Leaving it open has a negative impact on the A/C system for you and your neighbors.

3. As the ship is docking, you'll probably hear/feel a bit of noise/vibration.

4. Your balcony is very large/deep. It isn't the widest in the category but it isn't the most narrow, either. Deck 9 has the deepest  aft-facing balconies. The majority of the balcony is covered and you cannot be seen from above. If you are near the deep railing, you can be seen from above.

• Like 3

When we get an aft cabin, it’s always deck 9. We love the quiet, No people traffic. Yes, you will feel vibration when docking. No, people can’t see you from above & no noise from below. We’ve been there several times & have an aft cabin on the Encore in April. As Two Wheels Only said, your ac turns off when the balcony door is open. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Your A/C, and the rooms around you, will experience some technological thing where it won't work if your balcony is open....I'm a hellion and don't let it stop me. Balcony doors open 4eva! 

But really, there is an engineery thing (that chengk) could explain better as he was a chief engineer on NCL. Much to (what I believe is) his consternation, my husband and I still leave the balcony door open. 

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Your A/C, and the rooms around you, will experience some technological thing where it won't work if your balcony is open....I'm a hellion and don't let it stop me. Balcony doors open 4eva! 

But really, there is an engineery thing (that chengk) could explain better as he was a chief engineer on NCL. Much to (what I believe is) his consternation, my husband and I still leave the balcony door open. 

OMG I'd go freaking nuts with the door open at night and I'd be royally pissed if someone near me kept their door open and messed up my A/C...I like it to be nice in cold in the room for sleeping.  It's never really cold on the ships but it's cool and because I'm on a cruise, I put up with it.  At home, you could hang meat in my bedroom at night.  May we never be neighbors on a cruise ship...no offense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PatandStu said:

DH has always dreamed of an aft cabin & one is available for our February sailing. But, it’s right above Moderno & Cagney’s. Will it be noisy? Also DH likes to sleep with the balcony door open. Noise? Smell? 
can our upstairs neighbours look down on us?
Any input welcome.

thanks, Pat

We will be 2 floors above your cabin in November. Nothing better than the aft. The place onboard that your cabin really feels like you are on a ship!!! I clearly remember smelling cookies baking while out on deck one morning on one of our past trips. I would be able to suffer with the fragrances from Cagneys ! Bon Voyage!! 

Edited by 2boyzmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 2boyzmom said:

We will be 2 floors above your cabin in November. Nothing better than the aft. The place onboard that your cabin really feels like you are on a ship!!! I clearly remember smelling cookies baking while out on deck one morning on one of our past trips. I would be able to suffer with the fragrances from Cagneys ! Bon Voyage!! 

Yes!   I remember smelling fresh baked bread one morning on Deck 9 Aft

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

OMG I'd go freaking nuts with the door open at night and I'd be royally pissed if someone near me kept their door open and messed up my A/C...I like it to be nice in cold in the room for sleeping.  It's never really cold on the ships but it's cool and because I'm on a cruise, I put up with it.  At home, you could hang meat in my bedroom at night.  May we never be neighbors on a cruise ship...no offense.

We like a cool room to sleep in as well.  I had assumed people that left their balcony door open didn't know they were having a negative effect on their neighbors.  Now I know that's not always the case. 😮  

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. After much consideration, we have decided to wait till our next cruise to book an aft facing balcony. 
Thanks also for the concerns regarding open doors & AC function. We will certainly keep that in mind. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yesss to cold! That's why the balcony is kept open. If it's above 60, forget it as I need A/C. The first thing I do when I walk into a hotel is turn the A/C down as log as it'll go. Preferably sub 60. Cruise ship A/C doesn't go that low so a nice breeze and air from the outside makes the room pleasant. 

@PatandStu - thanks so much for closing the loop. A lot of time posters don't let us know the results! You'll love whatever cruise you do go on. 

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My friend was sailing on an NCL ship years ago when a rogue wave hit. No way in hell would i sleep with the door open! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2boyzmom said:

My friend was sailing on an NCL ship years ago when a rogue wave hit. No way in hell would i sleep with the door open! 

• The Dawn was en route to New York when it encountered high seas and a 70-foot rogue wave, causing damage to several cabins and minor injuries to four passengers. The suit alleged that NCL deliberately went into a storm in order to arrive in New York at a designated time because it had a filming scheduled with "The Apprentice" TV show.
  • Like 1