New testing update for J217 US/Canada cruise

Port out

For those of us sailing on J217 to the US/Canada will have had an update regarding testing for our departure on the 6th September.  

We will need to pay for an observed or in-person COVID-19 lateral flow/antigen test to be taken in the two days before, or on the day of your ship’s departure. This test must be medically observed via a mobile device or conducted in-person by a government approved testing provider.

Unlike the previous tests which just required you to show you were covid negative via an online testing firm, this one requires you to have an observed test at the likes of Lloyds Chemist .. not the end of the world I guess. Also further tests are to be expected onboard. 

My wife and I used our local Lloyd's Pharmacy before boarding Britannia last month. It was carried out very proficiently and we had our signed confirmation of a negative test within 20 minutes. I'd be quite happy to have to do it for any future cruise.

• Thanks 1

As many have said on here, negative test can be followed by positive a couple of days later. Better to test everyone on board a few days before arriving in US particularly if passengers have been off the ship earlier in the cruise. Depends on itinerary, I suppose.

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

As many have said on here, negative test can be followed by positive a couple of days later. Better to test everyone on board a few days before arriving in US particularly if passengers have been off the ship earlier in the cruise. Depends on itinerary, I suppose.

As has been said by another poster the requirements are for Canada, I do not think there is much problem with the US now though.  So it is not just an ad hoc decision by P&O or anyone else.  I have relatives over there and am aware they have kept a number of restrictions long ditched by other countries.

My niece and her family returned to Canada from the UK a week or two ago and she had to return to Montreal airport with her son, who had been selected to take random covid test.  That is only for some people on arrival, but everyone needs tested before going into the country as well.  I think they may have known he had been selected before they had left the airport if they had needed to wait to collect hold baggage, but they had travelled with hand luggage only thinking that would reduce their airport problems.  They have problems with their airports as we do here.

Last year they had to quarantine just to go into the Maritime Provinces so she could not take enough leave to visit her Dad (my brother) in Newfoundland after he had a stroke.  They have been very strict throughout covid compared to here.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Interesting to read this.  We were previously booked on this cruise, but jumped ship to next year's equivalent on Aurora.  Would be good to hear how this cruise goes.

We are also booked on the Aurora cruise next year.  We were booked on her for the same cruise last year, but decided to leave it until 2023.  Fingers crossed all goes well both this year and next though.

• Like 1