Air Transat allows carry on 20 inches, ours is 21, a problem or not?

jonthomas

On 8/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, davekathy said:

I'd hate to show up and be denied boarding over an inch. What someone  else experienced maybe different for others. IMO, all airlines need to strictly enforce their carry on policies. It benefits all of us. 

You're not going to be denied boarding, you'd just have to check the bag.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mountaineer0313 said:

You're not going to be denied boarding, you'd just have to check the bag.

Yup, was a recent viral TikTok where a semi-pro(?) skateboard was told he’d need to check his skateboard for $90.  After a long back and forth of getting nowhere, he broke it in half (wooden deck is only $50) and then it was allowed on

On 8/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, mnocket said:

It always amazes me how different individual experiences are, but I do wonder if all these cautions about a 1 inch oversized bag are a bit overblown.

The issue really isn't whether someone at the gate asks you to pop it in the little, metal frame to see how it sizes up.  The issue is whether you can get it into the overhead properly (and properly oriented), and an inch can make all the difference there.

If it fits fine in the overhead, then no one will care about the inch.  If it doesn't, you'll likely have to gate check it (i.e., hassle for everyone and especially you).

• Like 1

In the recent nightmares with luggage, I wouldn't chance it lol.  I have had Transat measure carryons in the past, and I've had them measured and weighed in Europe in the past.  Also, I agree about Newark - especially in winter - south season.... and we avoid it at all costs lol! We couldn't even get in the main doors to even begin to see where we needed to go to check in or get to security - absolute chaos and people being herded and yelled at like cattle - not a good experience on at least 2 visits there in winter.  I'm sure it has its moments like any other airport though. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 2:07 PM, mom says said:

Mnocket- I can only assume you haven't flown outside the US, or on non US airlines, in recent years. Many airlines are closely enforcing their size restrictions. Even more so with the airport difficulties this year.

OK I stand corrected.  As luck would have it I came upon this article/video today.  Kinda funny though🤣

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/19677878/easyjet-passenger-baggage-guidelines/

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:22 AM, sixpackeddie said:

We just flew with carry on only from YUL to Rome and had no issues. Our carry on was oversized 100%

Now this is ridiculous!! You had No Issues with a carry-on that was 100% oversized??? The ‘carry-on’ was 40inches long!?!

I’m impressed you were able to ‘carry’ or even roll that thing! And of course security check had no issue! 

……….Oh, my wife just saw what I typed and told me the ‘100%’ doesn’t refer to the size…….forget it.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Now this is ridiculous!! You had No Issues with a carry-on that was 100% oversized??? The ‘carry-on’ was 40inches long!?!

I’m impressed you were able to ‘carry’ or even roll that thing! And of course security check had no issue! 

……….Oh, my wife just saw what I typed and told me the ‘100%’ doesn’t refer to the size…….forget it.

den

They sure are nice in Canada (which YUL is in)... lol